Ownership Verified: Captain_70s' motor - 2008 Toyota Y-arse-is 1.0

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Three Triumphs and a Volvo estate
It sure is a car!

IMG02237.jpg

IMG02242.jpg

Picked it up and drove it home, in the dark, while it was lightly snowing, after having not driven alone before, and not driven at all for well over a year. (Not counting my test drive).

It was an experience to say the least, was following Dad home so I have no idea what performance is like over 50mph but as a car it isn't too bad. Certainly isn't a driver's tool though, the gearbox is very lose and the steering lacks feel, although the clutch and braking performance is billions of miles ahead of the Proton Savvy I learnt to drive in.
The radio is decent, it is comfortable, the heater is good, main problem is the wipers make an annoying "thunk" sound but I have to take it back to the showroom sometime soon for new wheel trims, new wiper blades, a fresh MOT and new gear knob and some trim bits.

Better pics will be taken tomorrow, when I go put some more petrol in it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it has wheels and goes at least :p

You need to change your name to Captain Noughties!

Great first car. Enjoy it, take care of it and hang on to that damn job so you can afford to run it and more importantly, move out.

Finally, jeez. 'grats captain.

Hey, it's red! How brave.

Yay a car!!! The best kind of motorised transport :D And good to see it isn't silver - its dull enough already :lol:

Steps 2-4 are:
- Work hard and earn money
- ???
- Profit!

Wait... Add somewhere in there move out. :)

Anyways, enjoy having an automobilecar for the time being :thumbsup:

Congrats :D

Smart purchase. Change the oil regularly and you should, being that it is a simple cheap Toyota, get a bazillion miles out of it.

*sigh* Everyone I know is telling me how shit it is already. :lol:

After all I should have bought a Fiat or a Renault or something with flair and passion, and when it broke down constantly and expensively I'd have lost my fucking job. People don't seem to quite grasp the fact that I bought this car because I had to, I need a reliable, low mileage, cheap-to-run car to get me to and from work.

Lets face it though, I could have bought any car under the sun and it would have been awful simply because I'm the one who owns it. <_<

Well they do have a point. For the price of that you could have got a very tidy MX5! ;)

I realise you would need a second job to cover the insurance.

Everyone has to own a shit car for their first one. If it is a reliable POS? Even better.

Reasonability or reliability might not be sexy, but when the cars mission is to get you to work and back, it would've been stupid to buy something gorgeous that won't start. So don't care what everybody says, at least you've got a car and the freedom it brings :)

And now after you've got a reliable car and later when you've saved some money you can buy something that's nice but doesn't work. It's not a bad idea to have reliable car which you can use to get spare parts ;)

*sigh* Everyone I know is telling me how shit it is already. :lol:

Don't worrry about it Catpain, it is YOUR POS. A bit better suited to the City than the country, but hey it's a car so enjoy it!

Anyway, I like the cars of the Yarii tribe.

:smile:

As a fellow Yaris 1.0 owner, I officially approve of your purchase (albeit mine is way back from the year 2000 and in silver unfortunately). Sure people can knock it but I have to say that if you look at the competition, in my view the Yaris is one of only a few in its class which makes perfect sense from a reliability/fuel economy/and insurance (crucially) perspective. Sure the Aygo is group 1, but that thing is too confined to city driving in my opinion. The Yaris is just bearable on the motorway IMO (I did a 300 mile round trip on the M1 and didn't find myself traumatized).

I'm guessing yours being a newer one, it has the 3 cylinder engine as opposed to the older straight 4? I think they have the same power though. Strange though I find my gearchange to be fairly precise and the steering has a bit of feel in mine (I have no PAS mind which might be a good thing actually). If I'm honest, mine has no equipment at all. :p Don't bother trying any cruising speed above 60, it gets really tinny otherwise. If you drive at a steady 50 you will get many, many MPG. Remember it has variable valve timing. I'm not saying this equates to any performance in such in this context, but if you use the revs liberally, you can get a little bit of acceleration just to get you out of a tight spot which can be handy. Generally they seem to like to be reved anyways (at least the 4 cylinder ones). Enjoy sir! Stay out of trouble, get some no claims and look forward to getting something more exciting one day. It's the freedom which counts anyway with a first car so having a Yaris is just fine. :)

Congrats on having a sewing machine car :p For real though, congratulations man, having a car no matter what it is is awesome.

Picked it up and drove it home, in the dark, while it was lightly snowing, after having not driven alone before, and not driven at all for well over a year. (Not counting my test drive).

Try driving a Series Land Rover with no power steering or brakes home in the dark drizzle after you've been used to driving a sports car with sharp brakes and light steering and then we'll talk. :p

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.