Car Advice (New, economical type)

Hatmouse

Car(s)
'03 Civic Si
I'm trying to help a friend out who's interested in purchasing a new car, and like most people is looking for something not too pricey, and something that is reliable. She seems to be interested in the following:

1. Ford Fiesta
2. Kia Soul

Any thoughts? In the 15-16k USD range? How are these two cars in terms of obvious issues? And I guess it's a bit early to ask, but what would you guys guess longterm reliability would be?

EDIT: No Miata.

Last edited:
Of the two listed, I'd recommend the Ford Fiesta.

Has she checked out the Honda fit or the Fiat 500? The Fiats real world reliability has yet to be proven but it starts at $15.5k and sporty and economical.

New as in brand new? And lose at least 20% of the price the moment she drives it off the dealer's lot?

Whatever she decides she likes she should be looking at ex-demonstrators or lower-mileage, late used examples up to three years old.

Buying brand new cars is for fleet buyers, lottery winners and mugs.

I personally get all the arguments for new vs. used, but was interested more in hearing about the cars themselves. :p

It'd be the Fiesta sedan, btw, not the hatch. But good call on the Honda Fit.

I'm trying to help a friend out who's interested in purchasing a new car, and like most people is looking for something not too pricey, and something that is reliable. She seems to be interested in the following:

1. Ford Fiesta
2. Kia Soul

Any thoughts? In the 15-16k USD range? How are these two cars in terms of obvious issues? And I guess it's a bit early to ask, but what would you guys guess longterm reliability would be?

EDIT: No Miata.

There was recently a short discussion of the Soul on tigger's "Wut car is gud" thread in this same subforum. The Kia is based on an older design but has a 10/100 warranty. Of late, Kias don't seem to need the 10/100 warranty, which says something about how far they've come.

I like the looks of the Fiesta, but only in 5 door form. And from what I understand, seating in the back is a bit tight. The Soul, however, does not have that problem and I've warmed up to the looks of them. I especially like them in that green color that Kia calls "Alien" or the orange that they call "Ignition". So make that another vote for the Soul.