Car and Country Change

MASHBY

Car(s)
Mustang GT Conv.450BHP
Hi Guys,
Well Im heading back to Blighty (UK) from Canada in the next few months.Due to family reasons.So my Mustang,Tahoe and Safari have to go.Good news I will car shopping as soon as I get to Heathrow.BMW M3 Conv for Me and eithier BMW 330D Touring or Merc C320 CDI estate for the wife.Although I hate Diesels with a passion it seems the logical choice (due to petrol price).Which brings me to questions.Has any one driven one these big diesels if they have what was it like, good or wish It had a petrol engine.
Cheers All
Matt

Watch the Top Gear with the 530d review they seemed to like it a lot, well for a diesel. Also I read a review from car and driver and they said it felt faster than the petrol and had a headline along the lines of "we dont even get the best 3 series model". Also if its for your wife why not just the 320d I mean if you are worreid about gas prices that will be better and fast enough for your wife unless shes a wild one.

What's gonna happen to your Mustang? Pics of it are always welcome.

Good call BlaRo. :p

Are you getting a used M3? Because the new one is due in a bit, it would be a shame to get the old one. I saw a few used ones on the weekend and they're finally starting to look dated... of course I'd still kill for one.

Why not a M3 Coupe instead of the convertible version?

Hi Guys,
Well Im heading back to Blighty (UK) from Canada in the next few months.Due to family reasons.So my Mustang,Tahoe and Safari have to go.Good news I will car shopping as soon as I get to Heathrow.BMW M3 Conv for Me and eithier BMW 330D Touring or Merc C320 CDI estate for the wife.Although I hate Diesels with a passion it seems the logical choice (due to petrol price).Which brings me to questions.Has any one driven one these big diesels if they have what was it like, good or wish It had a petrol engine.
Cheers All
Matt

how many kms might your wive be driving?

diesel is cheaper than petrol, but a diesel car is more expensive to buy, and you pay more taxes. have no idea how it's in england, but over here, you must do at least 20 000km/year to be cheaper off driving a diesel (but people don't seem to realise it)

how many kms might your wive be driving?

diesel is cheaper than petrol, but a diesel car is more expensive to buy, and you pay more taxes. have no idea how it's in england, but over here, you must do at least 20 000km/year to be cheaper off driving a diesel (but people don't seem to realise it)

You are wrong for England. Diesel costs almost the same as petrol, it more expensive than normal unleaded, but cheaper than premium super, so I suspect your calculation is wrong for England.

Also if its for your wife why not just the 320d I mean if you are worreid about gas prices that will be better and fast enough for your wife unless shes a wild one.
I drove the 320d recently, if it wouldn?t have been for the horrible sound I?d have sworn that they forgot to put the engine in...

You are wrong for England. Diesel costs almost the same as petrol, it more expensive than normal unleaded, but cheaper than premium super, so I suspect your calculation is wrong for England.

so basically in england there is no point at all in getting a diesel? :blink:

I drove the 320d recently, if it wouldn?t have been for the horrible sound I?d have sworn that they forgot to put the engine in...

so basically in england there is no point at all in getting a diesel? :blink:

well there is and there isnt

i think you actually (or at least you used to) pay more a diesel if you bought it brand new than the similar petrol model. diesel is more expensive, but then when you do alot of motorway miles you get some good MPG, better than petrol usually.

its a bit contradictory here. the government tells everyone to be green and use public transport. but then the buses and trains are really old and really expensive and usually late.

they want you to use cleaner fuels but then dont give you any incentive to use them. ie diesel being cheaper than petrol, paying to install LPG and bio-diesel pumps.

basically they tell you to stop driving as much but then dont really give you any other attractive choice or alternative to the car (public transport isnt especially convenient, costs of coverting cars to LPG is expensive and they still tax the LPG fuel)

so basically you have to do what they dont want you too and they tax you accordingly. its all a fix i swear.

Thanks for all the replies.The M3 will be around 2003 and it has to be a Conv.Had Convertibles all through my car history and I love them.Well the wifes car does need to have some power behind it because Ill drive it on the weekends with the family.I will have a look again at JC review on the 5 series
Thanks
Matt

My Mustang below
stng6.jpg

0009_3_1.jpg

0008_2_1.jpg

0006_4_1.jpg

Local car magazines loved the E320CDI, so I don't think the C320CDI will be any worse. Same goes for the 530D, the big BMW diesels are supposed to be very good indeed.

wow, you're going to have to adapt from living with a mustang and tahoe to and M3 and possibly a 330D. Sounds like a real tough transition!
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about BMWs diesels. Nothing like what northern americans picture a diesel to be like.
good luck

I hope that this helps :

Car Review - Summary New BMW M3 Convertible

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-summary.aspx?NEW_USED=1&MA_TYPE=1&MA=7&RT=287

Used BMW M3 Convertible

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/used-car-summary.aspx?RT=2214&type=1

Car Review - Summary New BMW 3 Series Touring

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-summary.aspx?NEW_USED=1&MA_TYPE=1&MA=7&RT=711

Used BMW 3 Series Touring

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/used-car-summary.aspx?RT=2206&type=1

Car Review - Summary New Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-summary.aspx?NEW_USED=1&MA_TYPE=1&MA=26&RT=267

USED Mercedes-Benz C-Class

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/used-car-summary.aspx?RT=2285&type=1

Personally I prefer the C class, but then that is just blind prejudice.

No probs, welcome back. Good choice of cars btw - sensible transport and some fun to be had too in these. I & Mrs Cobol have a diesel each because we do loads of motorway driving. You will be surprised if you have not driven one for a while how jolly good they are these days especially the ones you have selected.

they want you to use cleaner fuels but then dont give you any incentive to use them. ie diesel being cheaper than petrol, paying to install LPG and bio-diesel pumps.

Even our stingy government gives up to $2000 to convert your car (or buy one already) that's LPG but seeing's as most cars save for holdens and fords can't really be converted anyway stuff that :p

Do you like the Laguna Seca colour? Here's a good one, from whence BMs weren't so ugly:

2611552.jpg