Car and Driver: Confirmed: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Rated at 662 hp, 631 lb-ft!

Mr. Nice

Full Article

Confirmed: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Rated at 662 hp, 631 lb-ft!

2013-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-placement-626x382.jpg

The 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 will have 662 hp and 631 lb-ft of torque, according to SAE ratings released by Ford today?not 650 hp and 600 lb-ft as the company originally announced. We?d like to make an analogy to demonstrate what an obscene amount of power and torque this is, but the GT500 is the analogy. Should you ever find yourself swatting flies with rocket-propelled grenades, you might say, introspectively, ?Gee, I really did a GT500 on that one.?

Let?s just stick to other cars for context, then. Ford says that the GT500?s supercharged 5.8-liter V-8 is now the most powerful production V-8 in the world. We?ll leave it to you about whether you want to stretch the definition of ?production? to include some of the European tuning houses that rebuild and rebadge German sedans. Suffice it to say, the GT500 tops the Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG by 99 hp. It beats the mighty Cadillac CTS-V by 106. For heaven?s sake, the GT500 has 232 more horsepower than does the base Corvette. Even the gladiatorial ?Vette ZR1 falls shy, at 638 hp and 604 lb-ft. Besides the ZR1, these cars aren?t really the GT500?s intended competition, but the extent to which the GT500 tops these cars, rightly thought of as extremely powerful, is shocking. The ostensible competitor to the GT500 is the Chevy Camaro ZL1, which has a supercharged V-8 good for 580 hp and 556 lb-ft.

2013-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-1021-626x382.jpg

We?ve said it before and it bears repeating: Horsepower numbers are impressive, but ultimately not as important to a performance car as braking, steering, suspension tuning, and the millions of other factors that separate the good from the great. This is a large part of the motivation behind our annual Lightning Lap track showdown. But right now, we?ve got numbers and only numbers for the GT500. And in the manhood-measuring contest that is muscle-car building, the Ford has the crown.

Of probably nominal importance to GT500 shoppers, Ford also announced that its monster Mustang will get an EPA rating of 15 city mpg and 24 on the highway. A run-of-the-mill Mustang GT, with a 420-hp V-8 and manual transmission, is rated at 15/26. The phrase ?your mileage may vary? has never been more applicable; we have no doubt many GT500 owners will see single digits for mpgs. At least the on-paper numbers are good enough for the GT500 to dodge a gas-guzzler tax.

Sales start in May. You can read more about the GT500?s pricing here, and check out our first ride here.

Full Article

Lots of power sure but it's still a Mustang and will ride and handle like one. I feel like I'm driving a skyscraper any time I drive my Mustang. :(

Certainly a shit ton of power though. More than my Viper! :eek: Let's see it try and put down all that power on such narrow tires though. :p

Last edited:
I have heard whispers from some GM sources say that the LS9 is capable of much more power, they just did not see a reason for giving it more. Well, this maybe a reason...

FF makes 670hp. F12 makes 730hp.

Wiki said ff was 612 and f12 is released after this?

Where does this horsepower race end? A 1000 horse mustang?

I'd still take the camaro.

Last edited:
I have heard whispers from some GM sources say that the LS9 is capable of much more power, they just did not see a reason for giving it more. Well, this maybe a reason...

I hope not. The LS9 isn't in any car that should be competing with a Mustang. If they wanted to boost it and drop it in a Camaro that'd be fine with me, and I'm all for that, but the Corvette is so much more... car... than any Mustang out there, no reason to beef up the HP rating just so it can have more power than some prehistoric pony car.

They should have given it four more horsepower.

@ Jsauley

The Camaro runs the LSA, which is basicly the LS9 with a smaller supercharger. The LSA was bumped to 580 hp, could we see the LS9x in both the ZR1 and the ZL1??? The horsepower wars have known nothing but mine is better than yours, why would they stop now?

Last edited:
Now SVT needs to make a new GT40 around that engine. :p

Now SVT needs to make a new GT40 around that engine. :p

+1

As I said before, it's hard to take this thing too seriously as a road car. It better have some sticky rubber, otherwise it probably won't be much faster than the old GT500, if it can't put the power down.

German horsepower war started at the end of '90s/start of '00s, now the American horsepower war starting end of '00s/start of '10s. :D

+1

As I said before, it's hard to take this thing too seriously as a road car. It better have some sticky rubber, otherwise it probably won't be much faster than the old GT500, if it can't put the power down.

As I mentioned previously, this is just too much power for a "pony/muscle" car. They should've been developing a new GT alongside this engine so we can have GT vs. 'Vette vs. Viper with these kind of numbers. :D

Last edited:
As I mentioned previously, this is just too much power for a "pony/muscle" car. They should've been developing a new GT alongside this engine so we can have GT vs. 'Vette vs. Viper with these kind of numbers. :D

SRT would probably just release a factory supercharged version and smoke everyone. Factory 1000 HP anyone? :lol:

German horsepower war started at the end of '90s/start of '00s, now the American horsepower war starting end of '00s/start of '10s. :D

This isn't the only American horsepower war.

Hmmm... aggressive torque, a panhard rodded live axle, and a stiff and light butt. Maybe...?

Nah. Mash that gas.

Limits seem to only be introduced by oil crises and insurance companies.