Car & bike track day (56k, cry your heart out)

Censport

Car(s)
Xterra, '63 Corvair, '06 Yamaha FZ6
Yet another track weekend at the Nashville Super Speedway. This time it was a fundraiser for the Minnie Pearl Cancer Foundation, and it was unusual in that it was both cars and bikes. Phil Wicks asked me to help instruct with the cars on Sunday, so I dressed for that. But when I got out there, we ended up with more instructors than students. I had wanted to do the bike school part of the event, but I left my bike pants at home so I could spend the day climbing in and out of students' cars. Oh well. For once, I found myself at a track event with time to take some pictures.

Someone selling their '05 Gixxer track bike.
P1010030.jpg

Nice colors on this Suzuki, parked by Wendell van Sickle's Corvette.
P1010031.jpg

The only Brabus Smart coupe in the U.S., courtesy of the Lane Motor Museum (Yes, Mr. Lane puts these cars on the track.).
P1010032.jpg

P1010033.jpg

P1010036.jpg

A late 90's Lotus Elise and a Renault Spyder (again, only one in the U.S.).
P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

2008 Fiat 500, only one in the U.S. This actually isn't a Lane car, but rather it's here on a tourist visa as a fundraiser for the Northern Ireland Children's Hospice, courtesy of Jim Magill.
P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

BMW R1200S, one of the bikes brought out by Bloodworth Motorsports, the local BMW/Ducati/Vespa/etc. dealer. David Bloodworth and Mike Gillespie came out from the dealership to teach the novice bike class. They also brought out a Ducati 999.
P1010039.jpg

Corner-balancing Fred Boyd's ducktail replica. Wickie Laurie (Renntag Motorwerks) had his hands full with this one. Apparently, it has been rebuilt after a couple of shunts.
P1010040.jpg

Clark Crawford's (Z-Cars by Clark) 350Z. Clark has been winning on a pro and semi-pro national level since the early 80's. The man can drive.
P1010041.jpg

My FZ6 parked next to my buddy Eric Lund's 944. He bought this car from my old teammate from my own Porsche-racing days.
P1010042.jpg

The bike end of the garage.
P1010043.jpg

Side of freaky mural.
P1010044.jpg

Top. Y'know, most guys have naked women painted on their bike tanks...
P1010045.jpg

This bike went down in turn 8 the day before.
P1010046.jpg

P1010047.jpg

The Bloodworth Motorsports stall.
P1010048.jpg

Yes, the Tiger owner took his hard bags off and hit the track. Cool guy.
P1010049.jpg

I saw this guy roll in on his R1150GS Adventure and, having recently seen Long Way Down, I had to go talk to him. He was a really, really cool guy named John (don't remember his last name), who was a wealth of info and advice for all of my questions about building a touring rig.
P1010050.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010052.jpg

Like I said, another track day...

Nice pics! :cheers:

Last edited:
Looks like a great event, unusual to see cars mixing it with bikes - were they actually on track at the same time too? I have to travel over 600miles if I want to race bikes. :D

Absolutely adore that old 911 too, I've got a real soft-spot for those.

Looks like a great event, unusual to see cars mixing it with bikes - were they actually on track at the same time too? I have to travel over 600miles if I want to race bikes. :D
No, the cars and bikes ran at separate times. The corner speeds and racing lines are very different between the two.

Absolutely adore that old 911 too, I've got a real soft-spot for those.
Me too. There was another one there, David Beardon's, but I forgot to get a picture of it. It's really sharp in white with the red Carrera stripes and wheels. There were also two Porsche 968's, one stock and one full-out race care, both black and both owned by Matt Shaw. David and Matt will appear as instructors on an upcoming cable show here in the U.S. It will be the usual reality format, sort of an American Idol but with racing students.

Only 5k$ for this awesome '05 Gixxer bike! Oh that's so cool!

That Porshe is fabulous, and it's awesome good of course. Love it :)