Car Dash Camera's / Black box camera's

The "C" in the model that Craig posted indicates that is a capacitor model.

There are camera testers out there, along with forums that will have a broader range of knowledge than us.

Obviously, this is not my footage.

Thinking of getting one, any opinion on the Rove R2-4K?

Next level, this guy:

Got me a GoPro Hero5 Sessions as a dashcam replacement for my aged Contour.
Love the fact that the cam flips the video automatically the right way up, so there is no problem with my simple upside-down mounting solution:
2017-03-21_Di.JPG

That was in 2017. Loved the little thing. Still works today, but it's absolutely knackered, it's not waterproof anymore and the battery runtime is down to about 50% by now. Also it's 2021 and one wants 4k with 60fps.

So since a few days I'm on the lookout for a more modern version. Mind you, I don't need a hardwired designated dashcam, just something tiny like the Gopro Session 5 that I can easily plopp into the car and snap onto the bike or take handheld onto the ski slope.

And I think I just found a replacement:

Cool little thing, love the magnetic hold. Want.
Any options/opinions on this before I buy one?

Last edited:
^ And I bought me one. It really is tiny. Same front size as the GoPro Session5, but only half as deep:
20211116-211220.jpg

Nice big (lol) touchscreen at the back:
20211116-211347.jpg

Pro:
- Very small and light
- 4K at 60fps
- One-touch recording, recording starts inside 2 seconds
- Vibrates when start/stop recording
- Sound (peeping) can be turned off
- Touchscreen can be locked to prevent accidental use when recording
- Loop recording
- Fully waterproof to 5m
- Recharching and data transfer on the go possible when attached to the base module.
- Switzerland is not in the EU so my device isn't bound to the EU electronic device overheating regulation.
- Magnetic attachment is really cool.

Contra:
- Internal storage is only 32GB (but more is possible when attached to the base modul = SD card up to 256GB
- Gets hot. Really hot, after only a few minutes.
- Don't really have a use for the second screen, I don't do selfies.

Was a I-want-this impulse-buy, but so far so good. And looks miles better than the current bulky GoPro cams. :LOL:

^ I've read and watched many reviews and in some of them a overheating/self-shutoff problem has bee mentioned. According to some of them the camera will shut itself off after a few minutes whilst recording in the highest resolution and framerate settings because it gets too hot. - For example:

As mentioned Switzerland is not in the EU, so my camera does allow me to change the "overheat" safety in the menu to "high". With that my camera recorded for 27mins today at 4K/60fps uninterrupted until it ran out of internal storage space. Sure, it got hot, but was still manageable for my hand.

So far, so good. No regrets.

I've had the Viofo A119 for a while now and, it doesn't do 4K for dashcam purposes, I don't mind. It handles direct sunlight very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
The camera in Linus' thumbnail is yet another that's designed wrong. It uses too much vertical space for no reason. It was alright in my Octavia because I managed to hide all of it behind the rear view mirror, but that space is usually occupied by a bunch of sensors these days so it needs to be as minimal as possible, and most importantly, a horizontal form factor.

I was looking at Blackvue cameras just today, they still seem to have the best form factor.

DR900X-2CH-4.jpg

Hah, I don't watch Linus' videos but that was good. He makes a good point, but...

I got the Viofo A129 Pro Duo because I'm a 4K snob and like trying the new boundaries of cameras, the day footage isn't that of a GoPro but number plates are very readable and with some colour correction it could be totally usable roadtrip footage. The higher compression doesn't help, you would need a very big SD card to use a GoPro as a dashcam on long journeys with high quality footage though.

The camera in Linus' thumbnail is yet another that's designed wrong. It uses too much vertical space for no reason. It was alright in my Octavia because I managed to hide all of it behind the rear view mirror, but that space is usually occupied by a bunch of sensors these days so it needs to be as minimal as possible, and most importantly, a horizontal form factor.

I was looking at Blackvue cameras just today, they still seem to have the best form factor.

View attachment 3566258
Problem here is that it only seems to support FAT32, so the loop will be rather short. Not a problem for random daily captures, but roadtrip recordings of a long day will get ran over. Otherwise a nice camera, despite its irritating proprietary power cable instead of USB.