Car Dash Camera's / Black box camera's

Got a 16GB Class 10 SD card and tested the camera. Annoyingly, it was on "Auto Shut Off" after 3 minutes, that will be fixed come tomorrow morning's commute and I'll test the camera at dusk.

Just got the camera back from the parts store people. Will post videos after I sort through them.

In the meantime, the test driver liked it well enough that he posted a video of it to YouTube:

Video quality looks spot on, but there's apparently a rattle if you don't have the mount completely tightened down or something and that gets carried over as static in the audio on this camera. Still, I'm not seeing that as a major issue for this unit, and it is recording in true 1080.

After more than a week being run around in the car, the camera still hasn't eaten the flash card and hasn't disintegrated. Once set up properly (in software) it worked well and as advertised. The driver did suggest that it might be a good idea to not leave the camera in the car in the sun due to heat and such, as he had had other devices 'melt' in the sun from being left installed while the car was not being used. He said he was pleased with how it had worked during the test period and if we did the group buy, he'd join in to get one.

Last edited:
Is this group buy gonna get us a discount, or is it just some sort of shipping convenience or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Is this group buy gonna get us a discount, or is it just some sort of shipping convenience or something?

Dunno for sure, but that's the idea. I'll talk to the guy on Monday and see what he's willing to do.

Edit: A bit of explanation - I didn't want to organize a group buy if the thing turned out to be made of failure and shame, so I didn't get into any serious discussion on the matter with the vendor.

Last edited:
Some questions for Spectre:

- Does it have GPS logging? If yes, does it put vehicle speed into the video file? There are many cameras with gps logging but they all seem to write a log file and require post processing on the computer. A trackday camera, in other words. I'm just looking for speed readout.
- Can audio be turned off completely and reliably?
- Does it turn on and off with the ignition with no interaction needed from the user?
- Where do you buy the thing? :p Google or ebay search for U900LHD brings nothing useful.

Some questions for Spectre:

- Does it have GPS logging? If yes, does it put vehicle speed into the video file? There are many cameras with gps logging but they all seem to write a log file and require post processing on the computer. A trackday camera, in other words. I'm just looking for speed readout.
- Can audio be turned off completely and reliably?
- Does it turn on and off with the ignition with no interaction needed from the user?
- Where do you buy the thing? :p Google or ebay search for U900LHD brings nothing useful.

In order:
1. No GPS - sorry, had mistyped.
2. Yes.
3. It lags by a couple of seconds, but yes - if your car turns the cigarette lighter/power outlet on and off with the key.
4. It's an F900LHD - but you have to be very careful with that on eBay because there are a lot of F900LHD knockoffs out there that are completely different cameras in the same casing (much like the old 808/ChinaCam/Keyfob Camera people here played with for a while), so you'd have to find a supplier that is providing the real thing - which most of them aren't.

Last edited:
So my Chinese dual lens camera just arrived. I took it for a trial spin in the dark and it works as advertised. It took a while to locate the GPS signal on the first vid, but apart from that pretty straight forward.
YouTube is saying there are 290+ minutes left of uploading to do though (there is something wrong with my connection today).

For the $55 I paid, can't beat that.

Got the first sample up. The guy didn't have it mounted quite right or tightened down all the way sometimes (he removed it from the car nightly) so the camera can get occasionally quivery at times. Available in up to true 1080p on the YT page.

Last edited:
And the second part of the sample/test is now up. Keep in mind, this is not my driving, my music selection or anything else. :p (Let's see if it will auto-join these two posts. Edit: Nope. Oh well. I'm uploading all parts of this tonight, so just keep refreshing until they're all posted and I've noted as such.)

Edit 2: Third part:

Edit 3: And the final part.

I'll post my thoughts on the camera itself a bit later today.

I bought one of these today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/150823734294?item=150823734294&ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

It's not for me, it's for a guy I know that drives a delivery truck all day. Let's hope it works. At least I get to play with it first. :p

Aaand it arrived the other day. I dicked around with it for a day before I handed it over to him.

It seemed to work fine, with the little caveat that sound recording can't be turned off. Why anyone would want everything you say and do (including singing along to music, and road rage) on tape is beyond me. It had options for recording to an internal memory, but it apparently didn't have any because it shouted CARD FULL the second I hit record. It also didn't work with an old 512 meg card I found in a desk drawer, I had to go buy a faster one. An error message more helpful than CARD ERROR would've been nice.

The manufacturer knows where its target market is, btw. It defaulted to Russian after I reset it to factory settings :lol:

I just realized now I didn't save any sample recordings off of it before I handed it over. Oh well.

Last edited:
Re: Car Dash Camera's / Black box camera's

So what is going on for this group buy? I want to get a couple high quality dash cameras with loop recording.

I just ordered this model. 120degree, fullHD@30fps and GPS logging and it appears to be quite compact. I will post a video after it arrives(in 3-4weeks).
There are some videos on YT with this model and the quality appears to be ok. Here are some examples:
720p day and night, most probably I will use the 720p mode:

1080p, the right side is out of focus, i noticed this issue on a couple o videos from YT:

I've been looking at getting a Blackvue camera of some sort to use in my car, and my father's car for scenic drives as well as in the Anglia for special events. (i.e. filming scenic drives/the annual parade through town/driving around at car shows). Obviously due to the nature of this camera that would require extra mounts which is a bit of a pain.

Otherwise, does anyone have any experience with Blackvue cameras?

I haven't looked at this thread much but I've always been interested in these cameras, I'd eventually like to get one for the Disco, now that I have a 12V splitter and reliable socket to power it.

The Blackvue cameras look very nice and I'm sure they perform very well but like a GoPro the price is too high for me, I'm looking at getting one of these:

Main reason is so I can put the camera outside, run the cable through the sunroof and down to the dash where the recorder will be, I love the view a camera gets on the roof of a car. I'm planning to take the headlining out and paint it anyway so I could attach some clips to hold the cable in place. :)

It would certainly be more of a toy rather than for insurance.