Car Dash Camera's / Black box camera's

If you are wanting to more artsy stuff from outside the car, take a look at the new GoPros. You can get an app for your phone that allows you to control the camera without having to run wires.

The standard problem is that you could get 3 of those bullet cams for less than one GoPro. And if you don't want the Black edition then its still nearly half the price of the cheapest GoPro...

Sure its not as good but if I was looking for external footage to use in a video then I'd much rather have 3 cameras instead of one.

The standard problem is that you could get 3 of those bullet cams for less than one GoPro. And if you don't want the Black edition then its still nearly half the price of the cheapest GoPro...

Sure its not as good but if I was looking for external footage to use in a video then I'd much rather have 3 cameras instead of one.

3 views of ringoo lap 2 in ze ring 2013?

I haven't looked at this thread much but I've always been interested in these cameras, I'd eventually like to get one for the Disco, now that I have a 12V splitter and reliable socket to power it.

The Blackvue cameras look very nice and I'm sure they perform very well but like a GoPro the price is too high for me, I'm looking at getting one of these:

Main reason is so I can put the camera outside, run the cable through the sunroof and down to the dash where the recorder will be, I love the view a camera gets on the roof of a car. I'm planning to take the headlining out and paint it anyway so I could attach some clips to hold the cable in place. :)

It would certainly be more of a toy rather than for insurance.

I have one. Not the best when it's dark, but otherwise works well. Quality seems to vary a bit though, because I had to order a new recording unit due to some Ringmeet related damage and the new unit had much better internal mic and low light abilities.

I have one. Not the best when it's dark, but otherwise works well. Quality seems to vary a bit though, because I had to order a new recording unit due to some Ringmeet related damage and the new unit had much better internal mic and low light abilities.

That's the only issue with these 'cheaper' cameras, quality control isn't brilliant. Do you use the remote record button? How well does that setup work?

That's the only issue with these 'cheaper' cameras, quality control isn't brilliant. Do you use the remote record button? How well does that setup work?

I usually just use recorder unit buttons as it is mostly within reach. But the remote record button(s) work well. I have two, one simple button and second with power terminal and option for automatic record when power is on. They didn't provide the power cable though, so I had to make one myself. :D

Short clip using this mount.
Heavy%20Duty%20Windscreen%20camera%20mount.jpg

Found out this weekend that my dad has this dashcam in his Rav4. I really like its small form factor (can hide it perfectly behind my rearview mirror), but have no idea about video quality. Didn't have the ability to check it while I was visiting, and he has been away on business since so he hasn't had the chance to send me some video samples.

Anyone by any chance have experience with this camera?
I've made progress on the planning process. Figured out the best way to mount and wire it. Pulled my overhead console off to see how much room I have to work with. Shouldn't be hard at all to get it working.

EDIT: Googled the name and found this: http://dashcamtalk.com/smallest-hd-720p/
Not sure I want it now. Might get one of the better ones though.

Last edited:
That particular one didn't get a good review from Techmoan:

Some have faired better

[video=youtube;P-dfvPX0dOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-dfvPX0dOs[/video]

I really like its small form factor (can hide it perfectly behind my rearview mirror)

Obviously depends on the mirror, but my much bigger FHD900 is perfectly hidden by the Dart's mirror; I can only see the suction cup above the mirror and the power cable under it.

These things just keep getting better.

I just sold my old cheap dash cam, so I'm looking for a new, better real-HD camera now.

These things just keep getting better.

I didn't quite get what's the point of GPS on that thing? There's no speed logging to be seen or anything? Or is it just ready for some future software updates?

edit: should have watched the whole review... So the answer is: the GPS does not exist yet, even though it states GPS on the cover...

Last edited:
I've submitted a few offers for the Livue LB100HD on eBay, but the seller doesn't want to go as low as I'm offering. I'm going for the price it was selling at before it got very good reviews from dashcamtalk and the price spiked. Gonna look at that VF960 and a few others now, there are way too many cameras, and I just need to choose one and order it.

Last edited:
edit: should have watched the whole review... So the answer is: the GPS does not exist yet, even though it states GPS on the cover...

I didn't watch it all so didn't notice that, think the manufacturers are getting ahead of themselves. :lol:

That particular one didn't get a good review from Techmoan:

Just found this

Bollocks. Now I don't know which I want. The first one did seem to have better night recording than this one, but again, that size is exactly what I want.

EDIT: The A8 is ~$100. Ok then. Thought it would be the same $40ish as the other one. Well the Livue LB100HD is back to the top of my list.

Last edited:
I've been wondering if the GPS function is actually good or a bad thing. It's a good thing when nothing happens, it's nice feature to have on your own videos. But if a crash occurs, where the other party is at fault, and the video can prove that unquestionable, but at the same time video shows you accidentally drove a bit over the speed limit, that might turn the case other way around, even if the speeding didn't actually cause the crash...

From what I hear, if it can be proven that you were speeding, almost any accident can be pinned on you.

The trick I suppose would be to not speed, but where's the fun in that? There are lots of smartphone apps for checking your speed or tracking your journey, I don't see the point in spending extra to get this on a dash cam. Plus the software that comes with them is usually pretty poor and stops you viewing the video clips properly.