Car Dash Camera's / Black box camera's

My Mini0805 died.... again. Luckily I bought it on my Citi card which has a 2 year extended warranty on all my purchases so I think I will be getting myself a Goluk T3 once that refund gets processed.

I've been looking at the Anker "wedge" one, but I they don't exaclty hide away discreetly. I'd love to have one mounted in the rear view mirror (there's surely enough room for just the camera module and have the recorder in the glove box or something).

IceBone;n3546011 said:
I've been looking at the Anker "wedge" one, but I they don't exaclty hide away discreetly. I'd love to have one mounted in the rear view mirror (there's surely enough room for just the camera module and have the recorder in the glove box or something).

While I can't necessarily recommend it due to its age and this is purely to demonstrate what's available, the Street Guardian (or knock-of version as I have) SGZC12RC would provide that option. Mine sits behind the mirror with no issues, I completely forget that it's there.

If that's still too big they do a smaller 'external' camera which can be used as a main or rear camera.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-linktarget":"1","data-linktype":"1","data-linkurl":"https:\/\/www.hiniko.com\/index.php?route=product\/product&path=59_105_182&product_id=355","data-size":"full","height":"400","width":"400","src":"https:\/\/www.hiniko.com\/image\/cache\/Panorama%20X1\/SGRCWPC\/SGRCWPC-Sony%20Exmor%20a-700x700_0.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The recording unit is quite big and I've always just had mine sat on the dashboard but I'm working on moving it to the dash console, as shown in this professional mock-up:

I've already removed the stupid spring loaded cup holder tray along with the ash tray and coin holder so it just fits in. I'm currently 3D printing parts and tweaking them to fit.

Last edited:
First prototype of the new location for the dashcam recorder box is complete, I think it looks pretty neat. Also gives me a mounting point for my Bluetooth receiver.

So can't get my Mini 0805 warrantied despite it being in the warranty period. Or rather, the retailer is willing to fix it, as long as I mail the original back to China at my own expense. Pass. So now onto buying a replacement. What to get? Right now my front runner is the GoLuck T3, only because I have one in my fiancee's car and my parents both have one in their cars. I'm really happy with it so it seems like an obvious choice, but it would be silly not to do research for new options since the T3 is over a year old at this point.

Going through /r/dashcam and dashcamtalk.com, it seems like the Mini 0906 is a great option. I haven't had a rear view camera before, partly because last time I was shopping, they were only just starting to pop up and were overly expensive and partly because theres no clean way to hid the rear camera in either of my cars, and I'm OCD about not having random crap stuck to the windows. I'm willing to overlook that hangup, and the 0906 seriously looks like a decent contender with its price and video quality.

Anyone have any other recommendations? My requirements are that the front camera must be entirely hidden behind the rear view mirror (no wedge shaped cameras) and not overly expensive ($100 for a 1ch, $150 for a 2ch).

Last edited:
CrzRsn;n3547467 said:
So can't get my Mini 0805 warrantied despite it being in the warranty period. Or rather, the retailer is willing to fix it, as long as I mail the original back to China at my own expense. Pass. So now onto buying a replacement. What to get? Right now my front runner is the GoLuck T3, only because I have one in my fiancee's car and my parents both have one in their cars. I'm really happy with it so it seems like an obvious choice, but it would be silly not to do research for new options since the T3 is over a year old at this point.

Going through /r/dashcam and dashcamtalk.com, it seems like the Mini 0906 is a great option. I haven't had a rear view camera before, partly because last time I was shopping, they were only just starting to pop up and were overly expensive and partly because theres no clean way to hid the rear camera in either of my cars, and I'm OCD about not having random crap stuck to the windows. I'm willing to overlook that hangup, and the 0906 seriously looks like a decent contender with its price and video quality.

Anyone have any other recommendations? My requirements are that the front camera must be entirely hidden behind the rear view mirror (no wedge shaped cameras) and not overly expensive ($100 for a 1ch, $150 for a 2ch).

Decided on a camera. Will be going with the Mini 0805p.
https://www.amazon.com/Capacitor-Detection-OverTemperature-Protection-Mini0805P/dp/B01MEDLYAB

All-in-all I've been very happy with my camera. The day and night time video footage is easily one of the best at the price point, and even better than many cameras at twice the price. The updated P model replaces the battery that plagued my 0801 (after 3 years) and 0805 (after 1 year) with a capacitor that should sort that out. Combined with the fact that it has the same tiny form factor as my outgoing camera and it fits in the base units already mounted in all my cars makes it an optimal selection. Add in the 3 year protection plan for $5 that covers return shipping and will provide an Amazon credit for the full value if the thing fails and its a no brainier. I'll be in Florida until Sunday, but I'll post sample video early next week.

Cheap $29 dash cam installed. Quick test results...video quality is adequate (1080p 30fps), audio quality less than adequate (especially with the windows down which I do all the time). As soon as I can get some legitimate test runs done where the sun isn't beating down on my dash washing out the image I'll upload to youtube.

IMG_6282b.JPG

Stupid phone, cannot seem to add to my post above. Mods, please feel free to merge posts.

Ok just took a drive about two hours ago or so and the video quality isn't going to be worth keeping this, even in the Jeep. I cannot make out any license plates when moving--and that sort of defeats some of the point of it. Not to mention the audio is just horrendous, that's probably the worst part. I'm going to return this to amazon and pay another ~$50 for one that is most likely not going to have these issues. Those ratings seem a bit, optimistic.

Oh and in the box was this... Yea that isn't a bit shady.

*edit*
Bought this. It was one of my final choices.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_o.YSAbC7MHYA4

Last edited:
Success. The Rexing V1 is a fabulous dash cam. The audio is particularly good. Oh, and the maiden voyage spots a Ford GT. Nice.

JCE;n3547788 said:
Success. The Rexing V1 is a fabulous dash cam. The audio is particularly good. Oh, and the maiden voyage spots a Ford GT. Nice.

I suggest adjusting your camera angle. As it is right now you got 50% sky.

CrzRsn;n3547714 said:
Decided on a camera. Will be going with the Mini 0805p.
https://www.amazon.com/Capacitor-Detection-OverTemperature-Protection-Mini0805P/dp/B01MEDLYAB

All-in-all I've been very happy with my camera. The day and night time video footage is easily one of the best at the price point, and even better than many cameras at twice the price. The updated P model replaces the battery that plagued my 0801 (after 3 years) and 0805 (after 1 year) with a capacitor that should sort that out. Combined with the fact that it has the same tiny form factor as my outgoing camera and it fits in the base units already mounted in all my cars makes it an optimal selection. Add in the 3 year protection plan for $5 that covers return shipping and will provide an Amazon credit for the full value if the thing fails and its a no brainier. I'll be in Florida until Sunday, but I'll post sample video early next week.

As promised, first pass with my new Mini 0805p. Havng't adjusted any settings other than date and time, this is how it is straight out of the box. Funny enough, its not set to the best quality setting by default, so I'll change that on my drive home and see how it goes.

[video=youtube;ooY8v-h_17I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooY8v-h_17I[/video]

Audio quality leaves a lot of be desired, but then again, the tire noise from my Jeep is atrocious.

2nd drive. Upped the video resolution. It looks much better now on my computer, and a little better after Youtube compression. Turned on the wind noise reduction option and the audio quality improved a little too, though I have the audio removed out of this clip because I was on a phone call. Chose this clip because fuck this guy. Taillights soooooooo tinted that the black was effectively opaque.

[video=youtube;z-T9iKsBA9w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-T9iKsBA9w[/video]

I was not thrilled with the night quality though. The glare on bright lights is really bad, much worse than it was on my old 0805 which is weird since its supposed to be effectively the same camera.

Part of me thinks its just the glare lines are just reflections caused by artifacts in my windshield, but seeings as how they're so uniform across the whole frame leads me to believe its a camera issue, especially at the end of the clip when I pull up to the car at the light.

EDIT: Just dug up night video from my old 0805 - I guess it did have those vertical glare lines, but they don't seem as bad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=5gBwAXhd0SI

EDIT2: In retrospect, I should've bought the GoLuk T3 like I kept saying I was going to. Infact, I got my fiancée's to buy one for himself last night. I just got lazy since the 0805P fits right into the base that was already in both the Jeep and Mustang so there was literally no install time. Am I upset with the quality? A little. But its a $70 camera and its still pretty good. If this one lasts me a year, I'll be happy. Plus I did end up getting the extended warranty that covers just about everything, so when the thing inevitably does fail, I'll put in a claim for it and use that to replace it with a T3 then.... or knowing my track record, I'll probably end up with a Mini 0805XYZ.

Last edited:
CrzRsn;n3547885 said:
Infact, I got my fiancée's to buy one for himself last night. .

:blink:

They can get married too. This is the 21st century after all. ;) :tease:

RdKetchup;n3547909 said:

Originally I typed "fiancée's dad"...... somewhere in my edits I accidentally a word.

GRtak;n3547913 said:
They can get married too. This is the 21st century after all. ;) :tease:
Hey, not judging, just surprised :lol:

CrzRsn;n3547918 said:
Originally I typed "fiancée's dad"...... somewhere in my edits I accidentally a word.

Yeah, I figured as much ;-)

Any recommendations on a dashcam that will hold up to ridiculously hot weather (think similar to Vegas or almost as hot as Phoenix)? Or is it best to go cheap and figure on replacing it every year or so?

I have heard that ones with capacitors, instead of batteries, are better for hot areas.

GRtak;n3548550 said:
I have heard that ones with capacitors, instead of batteries, are better for hot areas.

That's what I've been seeing. I'll probably go that route.

CraigB;n3548557 said:
I've been running a G1W-C for a couple years without issue. It regularly gets 90+ here in the summer.

We're usually well over 100 and regularly over 110 here.