Car magazine survey for my dissertation

Gingertom

Car(s)
'04 Skoda Octavia vRS
I'm currently in my last year of my journalism degree at university and I'm doing a dissertation on whether the internet and TV are killing off traditional printed car magazines.

I have a very short survey (only 10 questions) and I would be very grateful if some of you could fill it in and give me your opinions.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MVC9TXH

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's a problem but "Non-magazine affiliated motoring websites", "online versions of magazines" and "blogs" and not clearly separable.

I was just trying to cover all bases really.

I see - but a online version of a print mag could be in blog format - and what's the criteria for a non-affiliated website to be or not be a blog, anyways? Many people use WordPress as a content management system surrogate for pages that are no blogs in the classic sense of the word. I don't think this problem will invalidate the data gathered, but you should address it in your data analysis.

Take jalopnik, for example - is it a blog? Is it a non-print affiliated online magazine? Is it a pile of sh*t that does not count as a "magazine" anyways as it's just clickbait three-sentence descriptions of links and YouTube videos? Or Autoblog - they even got "blog" in their name, but i think what they provide - news, road tests, opinion pieces - is everything one can ask for from a magazine, be it in print or online format.

(Critisizing another person's Bachelor thesis (?) is much easier than getting one's ass in gear to work on the own Ph.D)

Last edited:
In terms of an online version of a magazine I am talking about the sort of clickable PDF's which are becoming available online, essentially identicle to the printed version but on screen instead. For blogs I would include things like autoblog and jalopnik and those kinds of sites as well as traditional blogs and other websites can include literally any other news source that gives car news like manufacturer sites, press sites and anything else which doesn't fall into any of the other options. However, I will fully explain this when I analyse the data and point out that some options may be considered slightly ambiguous. Judging by the way it's going so far though, it probably won't have a major impact on the overall result as they are proving to be the less popular choices(among others).

Done, hope I didn't get too carried away with my "If so, Why?" explanations... - Good luck with your degree mate :)

In terms of an online version of a magazine I am talking about the sort of clickable PDF's which are becoming available online, essentially identicle to the printed version but on screen instead.

That you should clarify. :)

Replied to it this morning.

Hope it helps with your dissertation. I'll be in the same boat in a few months time.