Car makers face screen test to judge safety

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Will we be saved from tesla inspired touchscreen hell?

Experts say in-car touchscreen systems need testing, NCAP style, to eliminate distractions
a 2020 study by the UK’s TRL (formerly the Transport Research Laboratory). It found that operating features within Apple CarPlay and Android Auto significantly increased driver reaction times to an emergency event, even more so than texting or driving under the influence of alcohol or cannabis.

Will we be saved from tesla inspired touchscreen hell?

Likely not. I would suspect more company's going with Tesla's method. Rather than trying to squeeze all of the needed functionality into multiple screens and menu options, it could nudge makers into one monolithic screen with all of the functions visible at once. Like...in my car, if i have the nav open, and want to check the song title, I have to switch to a different screen. but then if i want to see the traffic alert notifications, i have to go to another "apps" page, and then open up that menu item a couple of ticks down, and then switch back to nav. If the screen were larger, more of the functions could have their own little window.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, it's just how I see this going.

With even Audi caving and going all in on touchscreens, a lot of the people/journos who loved the dial controller method of interaction have switched teams. They hate on Mazda especially for not including a touchscreen despite their own studies finding that drivers who interact with touchscreen while driving tend to lane drift as they use the wheel for leverage to steady themselves to hit the screen.

I know CarPlay/AA is a key driver for the touchscreen demand - it's been citied as a reason for criticism of non touch systems in every car review with a non touchscreen.

Touch screens also mean that the screen has to be close enough for you to reach it. Meaning that the dash also has to be built out enough to hold the screen that close. That's more material cost, and makes the car feel less roomy.

My 2015 Mazda has a touch screen...I think I've used it...maybe half a dozen times, to type in an address when I'm parked. Otherwise, I'm already driving in the general direction I need to go by the time the system is "awake" enough to take any commands anyway, so then I just use the voice commands for nav, and the click wheel for everything else.

Touch screens also mean that the screen has to be close enough for you to reach it. Meaning that the dash also has to be built out enough to hold the screen that close. That's more material cost, and makes the car feel less roomy.

My 2015 Mazda has a touch screen...I think I've used it...maybe half a dozen times, to type in an address when I'm parked. Otherwise, I'm already driving in the general direction I need to go by the time the system is "awake" enough to take any commands anyway, so then I just use the voice commands for nav, and the click wheel for everything else.
Huh, the system in both my golf gti and ‘19 alltrack have been flawless outside of CarPlay crashing or my lighting cables having a bad connection. The VW is usable nearly as soon as the car is on and hasn’t missed a beat. :/

Huh, the system in both my golf gti and ‘19 alltrack have been flawless outside of CarPlay crashing or my lighting cables having a bad connection. The VW is usable nearly as soon as the car is on and hasn’t missed a beat. :/
Glad to hear VW has improved. Our 2015 VW e-Golf is the wooooorst! We both hate using it, and no ACP or AA...no USB port, anyway.

Ford did it right IMO with the new explorer with the exception of the stupid tablet when you get the tech package..... They have physical buttons for things like a radio and climate controls what a wonderful idea....

2020-ford-explorer-dash.jpg

Ford did it right IMO with the new explorer with the exception of the stupid tablet when you get the tech package..... They have physical buttons for things like a radio and climate controls what a wonderful idea....

2020-ford-explorer-dash.jpg
And then you start the car and hear “doo dah doo” and want to drive a pencil through your head.

Either I have toned it out or the Explorer doesn't do it, I know the F150s do it you can hear them across a parking lot.

Last edited: