Car Speakers - What's good value?

airmenair

I need to replace the speakers in my 94 Integra. I bought a new head unit recently only to remember that only one speaker works and it's blown. I would need 4 6.5" speakers.

Where can I go to get the most for my money?

I can't nail down a number for my budget because I don't really know the speaker market, so throw out whatever you think sounds about right.

I'll update this post with any more relevant information.

How bad/good were the OEM speakers when they worked? If the sound was good enough they are most likely the cheapest option. In my Opel Astra the front speakers were 20-25 ? each from the dealership and since I needed only one the best choice, because aftermarket only comes in pairs.

Assuming you had OEM speakers and that it is from an Integra, correct me if I'm wrong... but I would say that any decent speaker you get will result in a noticeable improvement.

I'm using Alpine Type S in the Merc, purchased since all three of the four in the car were shot, and the space in the front could only accommodate shallow 4" ones. Sounds great for what it is and wasn't too expensive which convinced me on getting a pair of 6 1/2 for the rear later on. (cost me ~250 CAD for all four, swearing after being maimed by the car was extra.)

The Infinity Reference series might be another line to consider, not too expensive, and provides great results.

Best bet you be going to a store and listening to different speakers in person and then making your decision based on what you like.
As for the internet, maybe you could check out http://www.crutchfield.com/ they offer quite a selection at a variety of prices.

Last edited:
Yeah I have some quite older Infinities ('05) of some sort in my car that are not stock (But the stock car apparently came with some REALLY crappy Infinities as I've found and heard from my own research). Even though I only have four speakers (and nothing else) they produce some pretty decent bass and sound for the price.

Sometimes mixes of different speakers can also produce decent results (My car currently has 4 Infinities, but my Aunt claims that it sounded stronger with 2 Kenwoods (of some sort) in the front and two Infinity speakers in the back. (My Car makes a lot of wind noise about 35+ mph so I have to have louder speakers to push sound over the constant WOOOOOOOOOOSH noise.)

Sony Xplod

Sorry, I just wanted to see Spectre's reaction :lol:

And this time is no exception! :p

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

And this is what I think of them.

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

I didn't upgrade my speakers, but my amp and tweeters by going to a junkyard and getting the amp, tweeters, and speaker grill from a 97 Taurus which had the Premium sound package. I bought it all for $65, compare that to when it was about a $300 option. Increased from 12 to 80 Watts RMS. Of course, there are a lot more junked Tauruses out there compared to Integras.

With some luck and time you might find an Integra and one that has the same speakers in the first Junkyard you go to.

Last edited:
Granted Xplod speakers aren't great but as an upgrade from older stock speakers, they are pretty good for the price. And I've never had anything but good experiences from their head units and amplifiers (but I've always sprung for their more expensive options).

Sony Xplod

Sorry, I just wanted to see Spectre's reaction :lol:

Mine too! WTF!? *gags*

I have MB Quarts in my Taurus. I was able to get them cheap before our old store quit selling them. Not sure about the Integra but some cars have depth issues in the doors, so measure that too.

Also, I strongly recommend Dynamat. :) Even though (and because) my car is an older rattling POS, that stuff is awesome. :)

Sometimes brands really are not important. My car's system sounds amazing for what it is at the moment. I basically have four 6-inch Volvo speakers in the doors and four tweeters from eBay for $4 on the dash and rear deck.

Yes, there is not much bass, but it depends on the music that you listen to. In my case, for 70's and 80's rock you don't need that much bass anyways.