Car Trouble - Not mine tho :D

Lilleput

Car(s)
Ford S-Max Titanium - 268hp
So i was out driving my moms 206 Automatic and all of a sudden the Aut. Gearbox starts to cough and a Gearbox warning light comes on, i keep driving for 100 meters or so and then the whole engine dies and a aray of warning lights light up and the whole car starts to smell of rotten eggs - Im parked when this happens. - Just happy it wasent my car.

What went wrong? my mom thinks the whole engine needs to be replaces :D so if you could come with some words of wisdom to calm her down it would be great.

nah, the engine probably shut down because you ignored the transmission warning light. Safety modes and all that.

mmap said:
nah, the engine probably shut down because you ignored the transmission warning light. Safety modes and all that.

Didddent ignore it had to find a safe place to park.

Anyone recognize the symptoms? the smell have to tell you something :)

Could it have overheated and the oil started to smell :unsure:

Some computer might have melted or so, causing all kind of lights to come up on the board, and maybe messing up something with the injection, hence the "coughing*. :dunno:

pdanev said:
Some computer might have melted or so, causing all kind of lights to come up on the board, and maybe messing up something with the injection, hence the "coughing*. :dunno:

The engine was fine it was the gearbox that was doing the coughing.

rotten egg smell can happen from an over-rich mixture.... the warning lights could have made the engine go into a "limp home" mode and cause the ECU to richen the mixture. i dont think burning/boiling tranny fluid smells much at all like eggs.

Lilleput said:
But why would the engine cut out if the car was in a "Saftey-get-you-home-mode" That dosent make any sense..

who knows. i dont design the systems :p

it could be as simple as the car needed a tune up anyway (read: new spark plugs) and the rich mixture fouled them very quickly (as a rich mix will do) and the car stalled out. whatever it is, i think a shop should look at the car.

rotten egg = no or dead catality converters
rotten egg = engine overheating

those are the only rotten egg experiences I had with a car.

Pull the tranny dip stick, if it smells like burning, you need a new tranny. Easiest way to find out if you have killed one.

Some wireing to a lightbulb had snapped which made the whole car go into Psycho-Mode.

The bill was $100 where $10 for new wires :cry:

French engineering.. :lol:

That's so 80's...
Lancia and Fiat (and I think every italian carmanufacturer) used wires so cheap that they spent more during the warranty, to replace all the wiring.