Carbage

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
Says the country that wants to build a wall to Mexico. :p

Not straying into politics though, how else would you make sure that the cars entering a country are road legal, apart from checking them at customs? And not everybody is stopped there for an inspection. Actually hardly anybody gets stopped when entering Germany (or Switzerland). As long as your car looks half decent and doesn't have any parts falling off (or the wheels catching on the body work, or no number plate!), you can pass freely from one country into the other. (ok you might get stopped for looking suspicious or belonging to a certain ethnicity, or crossing the border at a suspicious time, for instance when everybody from Switzerland goes shopping in Germany and doesn't feel like paying import tax on their way back. This usually happens every Saturday, very bad time to cross the border.)

The kind of cars that get stopped at customs regularly are mostly either very very old and in bad condition, or heavily (and visibly) modified. And since a badly maintained or shodily modified car can be a danger to other people on the road, I think it's reasonable to stop and turn them around.

Btw: that particular was also not road legal in Switzerland, and the driver got a fine for it (in Switzerland). I guess he never thought it necessary to register the modifications and have them checked. While the TUV-equivalent in Switzerland is a bit more relaxed, it still exists and people have to bring their cars in for mandatory inspections, although not quite as regularly as in Germany. You can't just lower your car to the ground clearance of an F1 car, put bigger tires on it (with the assistance of some washers) and call it a day. That shit needs to be inspected by a government official afterwards, and only if they deem the car still roadworthy, then you can drive around in it. At least that's the idea.
I was actually let into the USA without any license plate on my motorcycle (the plate had fallen off).

After checking the registration to make sure the bike was mine and not stolen, when I said "I guess that's the end of my ride...", the custom officer replied that as far as he was concerned, I was free to enter is country :shock:

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
Wow. Just wow. I have no words.

Last edited:

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
[*]The suspension had been lowered to a point where it was no longer meeting regulations for minimum ground clearance
there is a regulation about ground clearance???
i know the headlights can't be below a certain height, but they actually care how low your bumpers/sideskirts come???

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
Why wouldn't there be one? Imagine a rough road or a road under construction - what if a car bottoms out and holds up traffic? Could cause hazards - imagine an ambulance wanting to go through but he can't, because there's a hellaflushed-to-hell-and-back Civic in the middle of an intersection.

Bobele23

DONOR
Car(s)
03' BMW 525i touring - Bernadette
Austria is even worse. They sometimes don't even allow to lower your car.

Anyway many "Tuner" guys ignore this, which lead to hilarious results with stanced Micras getting stuck on a sleeping policeman xD :D. Or when a bagged car sending off sparks everywhere on some "not so flat paved" backroads :lol:.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Austria is even worse. They sometimes don't even allow to lower your car.
no one said anything about lowering your car, it's about ground clearance
like when you attach large sideskirts to you car, even with stock suspension...

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
DONOR
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
no one said anything about lowering your car, it's about ground clearance
like when you attach large sideskirts to you car, even with stock suspension...
Well, there's also the other side of the argument. If you don't have a set minimum ride height, how would you stop idiots claiming compensation when they inevitably break their car on some bump other cars clear without issues.

8cm here btw, the last time I checked.

Last edited:

CD82

Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
To my surprise I just looked up "minimum vehicle ground clearance in Germany" and discovered that there is no defined value.

There is a guideline that vehicles should be able to pass over an obstacle that is 110 mm high and 800 mm long without touching it.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DONOR
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Here is just states: "no modification from original factory characteristics is permitted."
So, pretty much: Fuck you, you can't do that.

ghettoadam

Here in Denmark, your headlight should bee at least 50 cm above the pavement. If it got a T?v, you can get it inspected as road worthy.

NooDle

Car(s)
Isn't 8 cm way more than sports/hypercars have? Or don't they count as they're factory? A Veyron in its super topspeed mode is super low to the ground IIRC

NooDle

Car(s)
Just googled it and its 9 cm default and 6,6 in hyperdrive mode. So technically illegal?

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
it's illegal to activate it on public roads i guess
just like you can't drive the P1 in track mode on public roads...

JCE

Car(s)
2016 Dodge Charger RT / 2015 Jeep Renegade
i just vomited a little... How the hell is 2 spokes in a wheel that large even safe?

lip

Car(s)
Audi S6 Barkwagon
Wheels are quite tough. The (in comparison) small axle and the wheel mounting points will give in long before the wheel itself does, even on such an ugly design as this.