Carbage

Poor car. :(

The spelling alone causes headache ...

Ganz wichtig: Besserwisser behaltet eure Meinung f?r euch ihr m?sst das KFZ. nicht kaufen,.!!!!!

Very important: People who say they know better should keep their mouth; no one is forced to buy the car (no direct translation)

A.k.a. "I know I am a twat and built a car that reflects me and my life, but just stfu and don't judge me for it"

While visiting the DC area I ran across this manifestation of American-Japanese cultural fusion. The price we pay for peace is high.

Last edited:
Re: ^^^^^

While visiting the DC area I ran across this manifestation of American-Japanese cultural fusion.

As you can tell from my 'info', I've been around for a while. One of the things I've never been able to understand is why some people insist on trying to make things look like something they're not.
At least the next owner can probably steam off the 'wood' :rolleyes:

SL

Re: ^^^^^

As you can tell from my 'info', I've been around for a while. One of the things I've never been able to understand is why some people insist on trying to make things look like something they're not.
At least the next owner can probably steam off the 'wood' :rolleyes:

SL

Well, when you were a kid, there were fake woody kits like this... and there were also those fake whitewall kits that were reportedly very popular... The stupidity hasn't changed, just the props have. :D

Well, when you were a kid, there were fake woody kits like this... and there were also those fake whitewall kits that were reportedly very popular... The stupidity hasn't changed, just the props have. :D

When I turned 16 in 1965, I had a job waiting in an auto store/bicycle shop. Some of the more interesting things we sold were:
Porta-walls (fake whitewalls)
'Rebuilt' sparkplugs
'Brodie' knobs (glass/metal knobs that clamped onto your steering wheel so you could drive one-handed in cars without power steering)
Chromed hood ornaments (Yeah, you had to drill your own holes...)
'Flexible' exhaust pipe (Came in 25 foot rolls - we cut it to length with a hacksaw)
Headrests that clamped onto your seat-backs
'Aircraft' style seat-belt kits
Nylon seat covers, usually plaid or with bright stripes (semi-tailored, with cars that they would fit listed on the box - and yes, we installed them). These were VERY popular, as the quality of factory upholstery in those days was terrible.
And a lot more that I don't have time to list... just felt like taking a little nostalgia trip today! :D

SL

Reactions: lip
Couple of sightings from the last couple days.

IMG_8637.jpg

Terrible wing and graphics on a VW. Guy passed me like I was sitting still in the Flint Hills between KC and Wichita on I-35. Then slowed way down to wait on another car to make his exit. Made no sense to me.

IMG_8651.jpg

Spotted this in Wichita. Was setting nearly on the ground and he could barely keep it in the rough streets. Form over function at it's best...

Are you trying to start a nuclear war on the thing?

What thing? The owner's questionable tastes in automotive modifications?

A hoop bar that isn't capable of protecting the occupants in a rollover is classed as a "style bar". It's also been called a "gay bar" since before the Miata ever existed because if you put a style bar on your vehicle and you roll it expecting the style bar to save you, you get f*cked in the ass (or more often some other part of your anatomy) by the quickly collapsing style bar. This started in at least the 1970s and the 1980s before the Miata was ever a thing with trucks and Jeeps that had "style bars" installed by dealers (later on manufacturers would get in on the game) and sold to unsuspecting idiots.

When the Miata came out and the style bar concept was adapted to that vehicle, it was only natural that the "gay bar" name would migrate - of course, Mazda's marketing didn't help - and when the "double bubble" or double hoop style bars appeared, it was a short trip to them being called "double gay bars." I first heard those labels applied to such Miata style bars by Miata owners, by the way - and I've seen variations pop up repeatedly over the years on Miata forums that are performance oriented.

Amusingly, GM has decided to bring back what they call "sport bars" on their new mid and full size trucks after a couple decades of being gone. They're not any sort of rollover protection - they don't tie to the frame and are instead mounted to the nice squishy bed sides. Guess what I've already heard offroad folks calling them?

2016-GMC-Sierra-1500-All-Terrain-X-105.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
Still doesn't make the name "gay bar" right. :dunno:

In this PC world it might not be. :rolleyes:

I have a Macbook. I am therefore entitled to use "gay" and "Hipster" and "faggots" as much as I like.

And if you don't like it you can fuck off to the friendzone.

Because of Parkinsons.

Sent from my fingers with my Chilean Shiraz using Shakatak

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Reactions: JCE
Last edited:
Tbh, calling it a gay bar really hasn't anything to do with the gay stereotype of the car - you really ARE an idiot running a style bar like this. It's even safer NOT running a bar and just maybe surviving a roll-over crash, because these style bars can act as a mouse trap and literally crush your neck ...

The name gay bar, without wanting to insult any homosexuals, really is deserved for this abomination of a car accessory. It gives the buyers fake safety, and you really notice how good people feel about style bars when trying to buy an MX-5 Miata with people telling you how much more safer it makes driving the car... :rolleyes:

And to be honest I also think they don't even look good; imo a proper rollbar looks better.

Calling something "gay" as a means to mark it bad in some way is not only insulting to homosexuals, but downright discriminating and therefore unacceptable, period.