Carbage

PSX_20211120_073814.jpg

Yes, you are seeing things right, those are heavy chains on the fenders and grille.

Alrighty then.

I have seen fender skirts on trucks made from fiberglass, but this is a first from trailer skirting.

Definitely dropped from a helicopter.

I'm wondering how such a contraption can be even remotely street legal - is there no MOT whatsoever where that picture has been taken? It's obviously in the US, but I'd guess even in the most liberal states (in car terms) there are some limits to what you are allowed to do with a car, at least regarding changing the structural integrity of the passenger cell, right?

...right?

Why? I mean WTF were they thinking? Seriously!

I'm wondering how such a contraption can be even remotely street legal - is there no MOT whatsoever where that picture has been taken? It's obviously in the US, but I'd guess even in the most liberal states (in car terms) there are some limits to what you are allowed to do with a car, at least regarding changing the structural integrity of the passenger cell, right?

...right?

You would be surprised what's legal. There are many states that don't have a safety inspection (or even emissions testing).

That isn't to say there's not rules governing what's "safe", but unless a cop pulls them over and is able to impound a vehicle, it may live on for years.

I'll see if I can find the original of this photo and see what state plates are on it.

Edit: Best I can tell, it's an Idaho plate. Which only requires emissions testing. No safety inspection is required there.

A quick glance at chapter 9 of their motor vehicle requirements doesn't show where that particular abomination breaks their rules, oddly.

Last edited:
It seems that you can get away with a lot, depending on where you are. Like chopping the roof off a Subaru Justy and it still being road legal.

I'm interested in where the seats are in there with the massively raked body. Are they in the usual place, in which case what about the rears? Or are they the sedan seats so the driver and all passengers spend their time staring at the floor? I'm not sure what that sedan was either but it looks like it had a carbage wing on it before it was attacked by a grinder.

Still confusing that they chose to replace the part of an old Suburban that doesn't really rust...

It seems that you can get away with a lot, depending on where you are. Like chopping the roof off a Subaru Justy and it still being road legal.

I'm interested in where the seats are in there with the massively raked body. Are they in the usual place, in which case what about the rears? Or are they the sedan seats so the driver and all passengers spend their time staring at the floor? I'm not sure what that sedan was either but it looks like it had a carbage wing on it before it was attacked by a grinder.

Still confusing that they chose to replace the part of an old Suburban that doesn't really rust...

I'm guessing something fell on the roof? That's the only logical thing I can think of that would make you want to replace the main body with a Buick.

That car could be saved still, there is hope. Paging @Andeh!

Prefacelift with the facelift hubcaps is the most confusing element of this car. Unless it's a facelift with prefacelift rear lights. ?

Or it's just winter wheels and I'm way overthinking this.

Also, I kind of like it. I think it's at least a V6 Zetec S under all that crap, so it's not a million miles from a real ST. I'd change the side skirts to OEM ones and add decent wheels, call it a day?

Shiny!