Cars in New Zealand ?

something

Car(s)
Nissan 200SX S13
Hi everyone,

I am going to travel to Zew Zealand for about six month ...

Are there any Automotive Highlights which I have to see/visit ??
Would be thankful for any Tips :)

First of all, WHY ARE YOU GOING TO NEW ZEALAND :shock: ?
Secondly, I cant really think of anything automotive related down there except for Pukekohe Park Raceway which is a seriously cool track :thumbsup: Grab an Aussie HSV and go there for a trackday! :D

Finally NZ ppl call Subaru's "Su-bar-u's" as supposed to the normal "Su-ber-u". Your probly gonna freeze ur ass of at this time of year, take something warm. Oh yeh, feel free to visit lovely Sydney while ur in this hemmisphere 8)

I believe that NZ has a huge drifting scene... I don't know of any websites or anything but perhaps if you google something may pop up.

umm subaru...is pronounced as SOO-BAHHH-ROO...cuz its japanese...my 2 cents

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:

Dude go check out the place first - we spent two weeks touring the South Island - *amazing* place.

Mate have a great time in NZ.... beautiful country... just don't upset the local islanders... or u'll be dead... :? :?

from what ive heard, there are like no emissions there so they have some crazy fast cars there. i always remember seeing a sweet video and at the bottom it always said it was from nz.

We're seriously considering moving to NZ with my wife. The only drawback is being in the opposite side of the globe from our families, but hey, they can afford to fly.

The benefits are immense:
- A lot nicer climate, no -20?C winter months (in Auckland at least), land that isn't flat and climates ranging from tropical rainforest to proper snowtopped mountains.
None of the nasty snow and ice and slush we have to put up with half of the year in Finland.
- A lot smaller taxes, while I can get paid better as an M.Sc engineer (my line of work is in the skills shortage list). 1000-1500 e/month MORE and 15-20% less taxes mean a hell of a lot better standard of living.
- Everything's considerably cheaper, a basic 100 m2 apartment in Finland is over 200.000 e, and a 150+ m2 house is over 350.000 e. For 200.000 e you can get a nice townhouse in Auckland, or a bigger and better one somewhere else.
Cars, don't even get me started. 30.000 e will get you a 1.8 Toyota Avensis in Finland, while that gets you a Holden Commodore SV8 with a 5.7 l V8 in NZ.
Also, fuel costs a lot less than our 1.30 euros/liter, and a statistical "shopping basket" is ~40% cheaper.
All this, and I'd get paid better and taxed less?
- No Russia next door. No chance I'd risk my neck for a patch of flat turf home to insane taxes and crappy weather.
- Statistically roughly the same land area and population as in Finland, same size cities too. A LOT safer, with much much lower crime rates, especially violent crime.

All I need now is a few years of work experience before migrating, and figuring out exactly how to handle the logistics of the thing. Expenses of ~15.000 euros projected.
We'd easily be upper middle class in Finland with Audis and Porsches, but all those AND a big house and a 40-foot yacht?

Secondly, I cant really think of anything automotive related down there except for Pukekohe Park Raceway which is a seriously cool track :thumbsup: Grab an Aussie HSV and go there for a trackday! :D

Finally NZ ppl call Subaru's "Su-bar-u's" as supposed to the normal "Su-ber-u". Your probly gonna freeze ur ass of at this time of year, take something warm. Oh yeh, feel free to visit lovely Sydney while ur in this hemmisphere 8)

we call it like that as well. it's simply becaus english can't pronounce that type of "a", you all call it "suberu"

bone said:

we call it like that as well. it's simply becaus english can't pronounce that type of "a", you all call it "suberu"
Interesting, I learn something new everyday. I'll try and remember there are other cultures in this world aswell :p

fbc said:

Dude go check out the place first - we spent two weeks touring the South Island - *amazing* place.

Yeah, I've done that as well... I think we had 5 weeks. Drove all around the south island and been hiking a lot... I LOVED it...

But SL65 also has a point. While you are there, make sure to grab a cheap flight and check out Australia... Been there as well, and it was great!

The people are very nice in both countries, so I don't understand Leppy here... Maybe its because of the Aussie/Kiwi relationship??

I don't know anything about car related stuff, but if you wanna see some bad quality pics of the south island, go here

Buba

@ buba & fbc ... great pics, thanks.

Hope it?ll be that great on the northern island, too.

I am going to work in the computer business from my father?s cousin. As a work placement
But I?ll live in another family, so I can?t speak german. Thus I have to speak english and improve it.

edit: and yes i?ll try to find a cheap flight to australia ... always wanted to visit sydney