Cars that were better than you expected

chris311

Car(s)
2009 Camry SE V6 - Don't hate the sleeper
I have been buying as many cars as I can afford and taking every car at least once around the Nurburgring all in stock form. (IE, not doing my own modifications to the cars). I have driven hundreds of cars and hundreds of laps of the Ring and not surprisingly I came across cars that pretty much through me for a loop on how good they were. Cars that I just didn't expect anything great until I actually drove them.

Right now I can really only remember the name of one of those cars off the top of my head. I plan on posting back once I go through my garage again and get the names of the other cars that surprised me.

That car is the Alpine 110 1600S http://www.mygranturismo.net/car_sheet.php?id=28

I just love how light weight it is and how it responds to throttle input. The cars feels like it basically floats around the track and I can place it anywhere I want. To me, this car feels a lot like the NSX-R. It is a little tail happy but to me that is a good thing as I can control the direction of the car mid turn a lot easier.

So, has anyone else come across a car that they were not expecting it to be any good and then it ended up being an extremely great car?

-Chris

My expectations of the RE-Amemiya RX-7 were a little low because of some of the other cars in the game sucking, but turned out to be really nice. It was nice neutral handling and decent power (like in real life). One of my favorite cars in Best Motoring so I definitely had to buy it. The Mine's R34 understeers a little too much for my liking though, another favorite.

Toyota Vitz Euro Sport (there's a U in the name somewhere). Admittedly, mine has 210 HP over the stock 90 (as well as every other mod you can buy), but tuned properly it's very fast and easy to drive. You would think the power would be too much for the tiny FF chassis but it just isn't.

Suzuki Cappuccino.

Pretty decent with a few mods, insanely good once race modded.

I can add the Chrysler Crossfire to my list. I thought it was going to Understeer like crazy for some reason and was not going to have enough power to use for steering. I know that in real life I will never like them because I don't really like how they look and because of Chrysler's quality.

Another car I really like is the Honda BEAT Version Z '93. http://www.mygranturismo.net/car_sheet.php?id=253 Even though it has a very small amount of power it is still extremely fun because of it's MR layout. I think this will be a great tuning car.

I didnt expect the CUSCO Impreza to be that good, but boy does it handle well. Its a bit low on power but it blows everything else away in the corners.

I dunno why, but I was expecting the Clio V6 to be garbage, but whether fully tuned or standard and with assists off it's fantastic.
Ass end kicks out, but snaps back into place. Drive as poorly as you like and the car shrugs it off.

Last edited:
I dunno why, but I was expecting the Clio V6 to be garbage, but whether fully tuned or standard and with assists off it's fantastic.
Ass end kicks out, but snaps back into place. Drive as poorly as you like and the car shrugs it off.

I modded the hell out of my Clio to make it humorous thinking it would be a crap car. It went on to be one of my favorite rally cars.

My Vauxhall Zafira - its just great doing the things the wife wants/needs - I am so surprised at how easy it has been to live with. The 1.9 Tdi engine is superb at lugging family about and the auto box makes driving in traffic easy.

My Vauxhall Zafira - its just great doing the things the wife wants/needs - I am so surprised at how easy it has been to live with. The 1.9 Tdi engine is superb at lugging family about and the auto box makes driving in traffic easy.

You do realise you are in the Gran Turismo sub-forum, right? :lol:

You do realise you are in the Gran Turismo sub-forum, right? :lol:

Unless he is beta testing for an upcoming patch or GT6. :lol:

Driving gets even more realistic with the ability to run to the shops between races!:mrgreen: (A la Test Drive Unlimited 2)

I was really surprised by the Ruf CTR2. In completely stock form on Sports Hard tires, I was expecting it to be extremely tailhappy. Instead it was very planted, and took the turns extremely well with near infinite grip. And it doesn't sound half bad either.

The 2004 SL65 AMG on the otherhand was rubbish.

Last edited:
You take that back... ok don't, it's not great but I love it.

The 7th most powerful car in the (world) game.

The premium SL55 AMG is decent. But I have that on Racing Softs. I just ran the SL65 on Sports Hards, and it was pretty bad.

The F2007 is incredible. So much grip, so responsive, yet so easy to control.

Too bad you can't use it in A or B-spec.

Suzuki Escudo Dirt Trial Car. I was expecting it to be another very fast race car, but it's like driving a normal car, at 200% speed. It is so nimble and has enormous amounts of grip, it's insane.