Cars with stupidly large engines [Plane, Tank, Boat]

D

D-Fence

Brutus

BMW V12 Plane Engine, 47l, 750hp, 1908 Chassis with chain drive
Built by a German museum

Mavis

V24 Packard Boat Engine on a Bentley Chassis, ~1500hp, each cylinder has 3.5l!
Owned by Chris Williams

Napier Railton
24 Litre Napier Sea Lion W12, 550HP

Napier Bentley
24 Litre Napier Sea Lion W12, 550HP

Blastolene Indy Special aka Jay Leno's Tank car

Oh and there is the guy who put a Radial engine into a Gogomobil, but because he is a fucking facist closet Nazi I don't link him.

Post more if you have em :p

Does this count?

BMW%20Isetta%20V8%2007.jpg

BMW%20Isetta%20V8%2002.jpg

BMW%20Isetta%20V8%2006.jpg

Good thread! I really like insanely large engines. :mrgreen:

Oh and there is the guy who put a Radial engine into a Gogomobil, but because he is a fucking facist closet Nazi I don't link him.

There is one video out there that I know of which doesn?t have any Nazi hymns, no skinheads, and no other references to the aryan race. But I can?t find it right now. And honestly, searching for it isn?t a lot of fun. Which is a shame really, because the car itself is pretty awesome...

Good thread! I really like insanely large engines. :mrgreen:

There is one video out there that I know of which doesn?t have any Nazi hymns, no skinheads, and no other references to the aryan race. But I can?t find it right now. And honestly, searching for it isn?t a lot of fun. Which is a shame really, because the car itself is pretty awesome...

there you go:
http://www.deutsche-werke.de/goggo2.htm

but as D-Fence said, it doesn't take long to find some obvious indication of how much of a neo-nazi fuckwad the owner of the page is

Unfortunately, you?d actually have to be blind not to see it right away...

I've always liked the idea of a Merlin powered car, so I was massively disappointed when I watched that video for the first time. It doesn't even have the right sound. :(

This thread is still sitting on massive blocks of Wincrete though. :)

The Darracq V8 - 25 L (made from 2 I-4 engines). 200bhp, land speed record holder in 1905 (109.65 mph)

[video=youtube;46Z1-BAm-QM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Z1-BAm-QM[/video]

DarracqV84.jpg
DarracqV8pistons2.jpg

Last edited:
Do tractors count?

My stepdad showed me this video last summer when I was home - the engine came out of a Soviet torpedo boat IIRC.

Last edited:
The soccer mom livery makes it better.

How about a V10 motorcycle?

Dodge_Tomahawk.jpg

^the only thing i like about that thing, are the brakes!

each cylinder has 3.5l!

this got me thinking, what is the largest single cylinder engine ever made?

The Telegraph had the Mavis as their Christmas road test of 2010

The article is great but the roadtest video is friggen amazing.

with specially fabricated parts and a V12 Packard engine from an American Second World War motor torpedo boat.

how does that work?? the submarine goes underwater, and bubbles of smoke are comming up? not very stealthy if you ask me...

Last edited:
this got me thinking, what is the largest single cylinder engine ever made?

Don't know, but the Lanz Bulldog tractor, developed by an engineer that said "a tractor can't be one-cylinder enough!", had a 10.3 liter one-cylinder engine.
Lanz_Bulldog_1928.jpg

Last edited: