Cars you are ashamed to like publically (or that no one else likes)

As for a crap car i normally shouldnt like...
Simca Matra Rancho.
1977_Simca_Matra_Rancho.jpg

I had a Matchbox version of one of those and could never figure out what it was.
All I knew was that it had Rancho on the back, so I started to figure it was a bootleg of a Ford Ranchero that had been fitted with an oversized cap.

I remember seeing a restoration of one in Australia that was built out into a really cool overland rig.

I had a Matchbox version of one of those and could never figure out what it was.
All I knew was that it had Rancho on the back, so I started to figure it was a bootleg of a Ford Ranchero that had been fitted with an oversized cap.

I had one too, it's how i knew what they were, and they're silly, they're not even AWD, they're FWD :p

I love the first gen Fiat Ritmo/Strada

Fiat-Strada-Side-%28More-Processed%29.jpg

Me too. There was a mint black Abarth Strada at Goodwood Breakfast Club a couple of years ago. Totally original with on 65000 miles, right down to the factory orange peel paint texture.

Ritmo-125-TC-Abarth-1.jpg

I've always planned to move to Europe, I have to confess. Partially because narrow cobblestone streets are more my style than five-lane freeways. The history oozing out of every pore is a fascination. Motorcycles are a plus. Relatively sane politicians and (relatively) free healthcare are all cliche reasons, but they're just as valid.

But it's mostly so I can plan what tiny 80s/90s hot hatch I can lay claim to, so I can drive elbows out all the time.

And now, after looking at that picture above, that Strada Abarth is a hell of a contender.

Or, the aforementioned Uno Turbo.

UK-registered_Fiat_Uno_Turbo_i.e._(1988).jpg

Or, the Clio Williams.

Renault-Clio-Williams-01.jpg

Or the Innocenti Daihatsu Turbo, of which public and I had an especially long conversation about, not to say that we haven't had long conversations about any of these cars.

innocenti-turbo-02.jpg

Maybe it's time to resurrect my UK visa. Or learn Italian. The cars are always cooler on the other side (of the pond), aren't they?

I like pretty much everything found on www.1000sel.com ._.

It would be quicker to list the cars I don't like.

Hold on guys! We're starting to get respectable in here! Let me fix that.

Those weird 80s Continental 3-box saloons sold poorly and seemed like developmental afterthoughts. I love them.

Fiat_Argenta_argenta.jpg

Dude, the Fiat Dino Coupe is far more your style. You wouldn't even have to drive it ironically.

:rolleyes: I meant this one.....

fiat-dino-2400-08.jpg

All this talk reminded me of a Rover I posted in Best of Ebay a while back... the P6

Especially this combo of color, wheels, vinyl roof and trunk mounted spare

fhKpmGr.png

0qa2L7D.png

I also wouldn't mind this color...

AbORddHl.jpg

Last edited:
Ritmo-125-TC-Abarth-1.jpg

I've always planned to move to Europe, I have to confess. Partially because narrow cobblestone streets are more my style than five-lane freeways. The history oozing out of every pore is a fascination. Motorcycles are a plus. Relatively sane politicians and (relatively) free healthcare are all cliche reasons, but they're just as valid.

But it's mostly so I can plan what tiny 80s/90s hot hatch I can lay claim to, so I can drive elbows out all the time.

And now, after looking at that picture above, that Strada Abarth is a hell of a contender.

Or, the aforementioned Uno Turbo.

UK-registered_Fiat_Uno_Turbo_i.e._(1988).jpg

Or, the Clio Williams.

Renault-Clio-Williams-01.jpg

Or the Innocenti Daihatsu Turbo, of which public and I had an especially long conversation about, not to say that we haven't had long conversations about any of these cars.

innocenti-turbo-02.jpg

Maybe it's time to resurrect my UK visa. Or learn Italian. The cars are always cooler on the other side (of the pond), aren't they?

All of my yes.

Last edited:
Would love to have a 2410 one day. Cheap like hell, but rare.

gaz-24-10-volga-01.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Also, a Paykan. Not a Hillman Hunter - I want an all-original Paykan.

And I know I'm not the only one, as there's even a cool blog on it.

iran-khodro-paykan-07.jpg

paykan-unknown-7052_b_24373521.jpg

11825843_10206190373210860_4319971582724230774_n.jpg

11813427_10206190370010780_7674322461744847851_n.jpg

I think they can look pretty cool, like this last one.

Also, a KIM-10. Not a Ford Prefect, I want this.

156001-91672-34836647-.jpg

Last edited:
I kinda like those too, it's like they took a Skoda Felicia, to make their version of the VW Caddy, which is based on the Polo.
and then there's the Fun edition, that has a backseat... that is pulled out by moving the back wall onto the bed. :p
1223987.jpg

That's not really how it worked. The Felicia is a re-bodied Favorit, it has nothing to do with any Polo. The Skoda Pickup is just a Felicia or Favorit with a bed, depending on what year we're talking.

The VW Caddy Pickup was at one point a rebadged Skoda Felicia Pickup. At the same time, they were selling a VW Caddy Van which was a Polo derivate. That's the only Polo connection here.

The Felicia is one of the great marketing tricks. The Western world didn't want the Favorit beacuse it was always seen as a communist shitbox along the likes of Lada and, well, Skoda. VW rebodied it to make it look less shittymore modern, affixed a bumper sticker that implied it was a Volkswagen product, and put on some winning smiles. They sold a shit-ton of them. Apparently the communist engineering wasn't so bad after all.

hey0hs4.jpg

GFwAFcB.jpg

Last edited:
That's not really how it worked. The Felicia is a re-bodied Favorit, it has nothing to do with any Polo. The Skoda Pickup is just a Felicia or Favorit with a bed, depending on what year we're talking.

The VW Caddy Pickup was at one point a rebadged Skoda Felicia Pickup. At the same time, they were selling a VW Caddy Van which was a Polo derivate. That's the only Polo connection here.

The Felicia is one of the great marketing tricks. The Western world didn't want the Favorit beacuse it was always seen as a communist shitbox along the likes of Lada and, well, Skoda. VW rebodied it to make it look more modern, affixed a bumper sticker that implied it was a Volkswagen product, and put on some winning smiles. They sold a shit-ton of them. Apparently the communist engineering wasn't so bad after all.

hey0hs4.jpg

GFwAFcB.jpg

What you call "communist" engineering wasn't actually bad, at least in Czech Republic. There was a lot of engineering talents and good ideas often on par with "western" stuff, but often buried by politics and lack of funds in the light industry. Google Skoda 720, for an example of a wasted opportunity.

skoda_720_prototyp_02_800_600.jpg

Fun fact on the Felicia: The original Favorit is a typical Bertone 80's style edgy thing, but a bit simplified to be producible on not-very-advanced Skoda production line. Thus, all the surfaces are made of primitives (ball, cylinder, cube...) The Felicia is a product of early CAD surfacing applications in the industry and its surfaces are continuous up to 7th derivation. The only exception is the roof, taken over from the Favorit along with the rubber seals on the edges. These things make the Felicia look dated and disharmonious.