cbo_and21 - I'm new to the Forums

cbo_and21

Hi Everybody,

Just checking in, as this is the place where you're supposed to introduce yourself. I've posted about 8 times before this one, but figured I might as well do a formal one.

I just got broadband this school year at my University - wow, computers are so much different (*quote* Homer: "They have the internet on computers now a days?) with some true bandwidth. I shall hopefully never return to the dark ages of 56k.

Right, I'm going to school in Vancouver, and will be headed back home soon for the summer. Four friends and I are taking an ML350 (belongs to a rich kid from Singapore...I'm praying for no arrests) back to my place (Colorado) at the end of the year...as the signature already told you. I will be attending the University of Colorado at Boulder next year.

I've been into cars for about 5 years now - my asian friends in high school got me started...never looked back since. Favorite cars / dream cars are Audi's - particulary the B5 S4 (which I have been close to buying...long story)....and am quite excited about the new B7 platform - especially the new RS4. I've seen all the pics. I know most of the specs for all the modern cars...and all the records and stuff..."the essentials" :) I love and adore the speed channel...especially the ALMS stuff. My dorm wall has a Zonda (v12 AMG engine), F50 ( 4.7L V12) , an NSX (V6 por supuesto), a 360 Modena (3.6L V8 ) and the oh so miraculous McLaren F1 (one of the best engines ever....BMW 6L V12). Just demonstrating my random engine displacement knowledge 8) .

This summer should be great. 1) No physics classes. 2) Am going to rebuild a car and sell it (got approval from parents, any suggestions on what to get?). 3) Am going to get a new car for myself (thinking Focus SVT, perhaps something cheaper, again...any suggestions???...I won't buy w/o consulting you guys first). 4) Hopefully going to get a good wireless line to my house with some good bandwidth.

I'm also big into computers...I think I've learned more about computers at University (UBC) than Engineering. Mostly this is due to friends on the floor being big into comp. sci and the open source craze. I have Ubuntu Linux (Hoary beta...in case you care) on a 5 gig partition on my otherwise XP Pro laptop. I've been trying to make the switch to Linux in my spare time, but haven't had much lately. We'll see how it goes during the summer. I'll probably stay with the horror of windows for a while longer, and just run small versions of linux on old PC's where I'm going to serve crap and let bittorrent run.

I'm also big into xbox modding..well...to be honest I have simply researched everything related to xbox modding here at school....I will actually do it when I get home. I'm mainly intersted in the XBMC stuff...so I can watch my JC on my TV...how great would that be! Anyway, if anybody needs a contact in this area...let me know!

I have a 250GB external hard disk that I repeatedly have to clean out (bandwidth addiction...university doesn't have transfer limits...yet!)...and currently have ~55GB of car videos...including a nice archive of all the racingflix.com stuff as a couple weeks ago. Check out my (first?) post in the "Video Offers" section titled "Racingflix.com". I've also posted a couple other places.

I first found out about Top Gear / Fifth Gear just browing the internet at the beginning of the school year through Viper's original website. I downlaoded everything (and loved everything) from bittorrent and have been looking for TG/FG ever since.

I'm currently talking to hokiethang about putting some of my videos up on his FTP for everybody to get...we'll hopefully get that ironed out soon. I also have a file list of all my videos...with sizes and extensions and stuff. After the 2005 Pacific Intl. Auto Show next weekend...I will put up a web server (run off my comp) with all the pictures and my file list of videos. We'll see how my computer and the uni's bandwidth can handle it! I have a dynamic dns account set up for my http server...so when I go back for the summer the link won't change... details later.

Anyway...wow that was a long post. Sorry. I originally just wanted to get some FTP access on this site by posting...but I can see that this place is much better than I was expecting...so I plan to stay!!

I look forward to being a part of FinalGear and having an outlet for my automative madness - see you all around! :thumbsup:

:welcome:

Edit: I just wanted to say welcome first, now I'll actually read your introduction. :mrgreen:

Cool interests. You absolutely must take pictures of the car you fix up (and the one you might buy).

Welcome

That was quite fucking long for an introduction, I stopped after 5 lines, no mention of gay sex got me bored.

bawhaha, joking ofcourse! :D

welcome dude. Thats the longest speech i've read so far. you've beaten me and hokiethang by writing all this info.

I'v hit almost 100 posts now and I didn't even introduce myself. :| I think i better leave it this way..no one will be intresting in reading my whole biography. :cry:

I read your whole introduction, probably because you are from Vancouver haha :lol: .
Anyway welcome aboard..

If you have any computer/linux questions feel free to shoot them my way, since that's kind of what I am doing for a living. :-D

Hey Welcome, I'm making a new Introduction thread.

All new member can introduce themselfs there, that way it's organized and you can read it later.

:)

Definitely need pics of the car you will be building :)

First of all, welcome to our workd 8)

About that car you want to build - what is your intention? Just to buy a car that doesn't run, fix it, and sell it? Or to buy an ok car, and mod it to make it a fast one, and then sell it? Or maybe buy an older classic (like a '57 Chevy BelAir) and soup it up? Let us know exactly what you want to do, and we'll give you suggestions.

About buying yourself a car, check out the "16k Car" thread (I think it's in the Automotive section) - lots of ideas for decent cars that aren't too much.

Enjoy your stay :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Sorry for the long post guys - I'll keep it short and sweet from now on! :)

Anyway, I will definitely get pictures/stories up of my car adventures this summer. I'll also do some serious consulting of you guys before I buy anything

As far as the rebuild is concerned - I'm open to anything, but I'd like it be a car with fairly easy to find parts. Colorado isn't really the junk yard capital, so hunting for a ceap used part for a '56 no-name is kinda out of the leage. Classic cars where replacement parts are still manufactured would be ideal.

My dad has friends in the MG Roadster rebuilding business, and some have made good money, so I'm definitely going to consider that. You guys know what an MG is, right? ;)

If you have any ideas for cars - lemme know. I'd like the car to be ~10k for the initial purchase, and sell it for upwards of 16-17k at the end of the year (put in a few thousand in parts/paint).

Finals soon, so I will be busy until I get back home.

Thanks for the welcome! :thumbsup:

I thought you were gonna keep it short and sweet :p ;)

Currently Listening To: Strange Condition - Pete Yorn - Musicforthemorningafter (2001)

wow... thats alot of reading... I know everything about you with just one post :mrgreen: .... anyways, welcome to the forums :D