Ownership Verified: Cellos88GT's 1998 Honda VFR

Cellos88GT

Car(s)
2 Fox Mustangs and a '00 VFR
Well after much searching and indecision on which bike I wanted to replace my GS500F, I quickly settled on this beautiful 1998 Honda VFR. She has 23,XXX miles, a Corbin seat, Zero Gravity windscreen, and some pretty fresh tires on the front and rear.

Initial impressions: This bike is 10,000x better in every way, shape, and form to my old GS500, the power is a lot but its delivery is addicting, the ride is smooth, the brakes are solid, the clutch engagement is nice, etc. To put it simply, I'm in love. I can't wait to ride it tomorrow. :cool:

BOsHFh5DdPG6obv-xBZhsOXYfO9tIQvvRu59MJs6sZE=w283-h213-no

HdgfYR0DZSn5JyCGFlQ0G0aLlgmU2fmmeVyZ2xEVvFU=w940-h705-no

Proof pic:

Kb_DGixvmWJY2LRqUO3HryxE-kWAoxl-BeHPrQmfvFE=w940-h705-no

I apologize for the low number of pics, I will add more in the coming days.

Last edited:
Not bad, planning on putting hard bags on it?

I would like to, if it's within my budget later on this summer. Also, the previous owner was hoping I was going to flake on buying it because he was starting to have second thoughts about selling... heh

Last edited:
Well, don't wait too long. Accessories for the 5th gen VFRs are starting to vanish. I think the only option you have left for bag racks is the Givi ones, Der Stig scored the second to last set of the SW Motech detachable ones that will ever be officially imported to the US. The actual last set was sold a couple days later.

I'd also *strongly* recommend getting some crash bungs and installing them immediately. Actually, yesterday would have been even better. Der Stig's have worked out very well, though I forget who he used. He installed them and then immediately ended up testing them by accident - they saved some very expensive plastics and mechanicals from shattering on his garage floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I take that back, you *may* be able to get Twisted Throttle to make an exception and get you one more:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...or-micatech-givi-trax-krauser-hepco-sidecases

It looks like the Givis may also be on the way out - they've been discontinuing stuff for my 919, too.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-tubular-sidecase-racks-honda-vfr800-interceptor-98-01

The Givi racks require the FZ257 top rack be installed as well; they're down to their last pair in stock.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-topcase-rack-honda-vfr800-98-01

Last edited:
I was looking through my photo archive from when we installed them - I think those are the very same ones he has.

- - - Updated - - -

Just FYI, you'll need to dump some coolant when you get the R&G kit (it's expensive because it comes with a replacement coolant bottle to accommodate the bungs) - and you should probably immediately flush the cooling system if you don't know that it's been done recently. If you do that, the preferred coolant is the blue stuff Honda sells for their cars. It's actually chemically the same as what Honda bike dealers sell for a hugely inflated price in tiny little bottles; you can get it for less than $15 per gallon (sometimes less on special or with coupon on their web sites) at the car dealers. Most bikes only need one or two.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a coupon from one of the DFW area dealers to show you the Type 2 coolant and typical coupon. Unfortunately, this particular dealer is a bunch of dicks but theirs is the one with an embeddable coupon image. :p Fortunately dealers closer to me match their coupon. :D

34b237860a0d02b70039d81159e3855a.jpg

You may be able to con your local dealers into matching that coupon if you print it out. It's been used as far away as New York on dumb dealers charging more. :p

Last edited:
Yay! :thumbsup:

Shame you bought the slower color though /ducks

The guy selling mine was already regretting it as he signed over the title (he bought a 6th gen).

Yes, my frame sliders are the R&Gs. I would also highly recommend scrounging up a set of SW Motech racks. Mine have been great.

Congrats again!

Last edited:
Aww, congrats!!

Thanks guys!

I've just put in an order for frame sliders, so I probably won't ride it until I get them put on, since Spectre has now made me all paranoid. :lol:

Yellow motorcycles <3

Not just that, a yellow VFR! And it's cleannnnnnnn!!!

:jelly:

:thumbsup:

There really isn't anything less than excellent about the 1998-2001 VFR. The only shame is that they didn't make it for very long.

Thanks again guys! I've been really digging it and can't wait to go out on a longer ride.

So after dealing with my burned out Rick's R/R and getting a replacement, I decided to bypass the power harness on the stock warning and wire the power from the R/R directly to the battery (appropriate gauge wiring was used in addition to fuse). I removed the VFRness that I once had installed. I also decided to add a voltmeter to keep an eye on the charging system:

n630PWj.jpg

It's a waterproof OLED DC Voltmeter, found it online for $35. It has reverse polarity protection too. It recommended the addition of a 2 AMP fuse which is visible in the yellow fuse holder here:

W68z1Hr.jpg

Completed install on the bike:

M1SIzJI.jpg

P7TyLl1.jpg

Oh wow! That looks awesome and exactly the colour I wanted before I bought mine!

The previous owner of mine still regrets selling it I think :)

I managed to pick up a GIVI case system that was new old stock, I was very lucky! I hope you can find a system that works :)

Edit: Noticed thread was old, but I have not seen it yet :-D

heh, no worries. I would like a hard bag system but don't have the funds to splurge on one yet. I may look into just getting the racks for now and the cases down the road...

heh, no worries. I would like a hard bag system but don't have the funds to splurge on one yet. I may look into just getting the racks for now and the cases down the road...

The GIVI monokey one I have set me back about ?500 including 3x 42 litre cases - that's not bad for a brand new setup.