Challenge suggestions for TGA

Now that's some serious performance! It's almost as beneficial as my fuel saving vortex and my peter brock crystal-in-a-box! :p

Goggo-GO!

To Celebrate the release of an obviously terrible blockbuster flop (Speed Racer), i present to you the Goggomobil tuning contest. :)

As one of the esteemed countries which was blessed with this magnificent car (and had our own variants courtesy of Buckle Motors) it is our duty to drive them fast*, and do justice to the once mighty brand.

Sourcing them shouldn't be an issue since the fibreglass bodies are actually rather sturdy, and seeing just what a 400cc Dart could do with a modern touch would finally fulfil that fantasy that most of us secretly harbour (you know you do, stop denying yourself!). ;)

Goggomobil_Dart_by_Buckle_1959.JPG

Here's some inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6pO7eLeiM

* The word fast is used in a relative term, loosely.

Edit: Holy crap, i accidentally hit this on Youtube. We could have some real fun with the Goggo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6CrRE2hsC0&feature=related

Last edited:
Goggo-GO!

To Celebrate the release of an obviously terrible blockbuster flop (Speed Racer), i present to you the Goggomobil tuning contest. :)

Good idea ... but there's no way it could possibly be done without Tommy Dysart, preferably in character as the Goggomobil Bloke. ;)

On an unrelated note ... not a challenge as such, but TGA must track down those two Tasmanian blokes that travelled around Australia a couple of years back in their Holden Piazza named 'Alyce', in a search for as many other Holden Piazzas as they could find. This is assuming, of course, that the two blokes in question haven't been offered jobs as hosts of TGA yet. (Those guys wrote a book about their Piazza quest that, whilst reading like a blog, was piss funny)

Last edited:
I would totally have Dysart involved in it somehow! He must be sick to death of the whole thing, but at least it would be more fun than a Shannons ad.

I never heard about the Piazza tour, but surely you'd suffer some level of head trauma from looking at those things for too long. It's but one of the many reasons why they aren't terribly prevalent. :p

Broome to Townsville along the coast in a Smart 4-2. That would be funny. Shame the UK presenters won't be doing it. James May would be funny on this journey.

On the TopGear US roadtrip they had come up with the idea of seeing how far across Texas you could get in a pink SMART FORTWO before getting beaten up. The idea morphed into the challenge where they painted slogans on each other's cars.

The Fishman said:
Broome to Townsville along the coast in a Smart 4-2. That would be funny.
stiggie said:
On the TopGear US roadtrip they had come up with the idea of seeing how far across Texas you could get in a pink SMART FORTWO before getting beaten up. The idea morphed into the challenge where they painted slogans on each other's cars.

I reckon combine the two concepts. Pink smart with slogans on it driving through the less enlightened parts of Queensland. Where did Pauline Hanson come from? I'm thinking Toowoomba for some reason ... maybe park the smart out the front of Ms. Hanson's fish and chip shop ...

I suggested doing a speed run shooting kangaroo road signs with a .22 from the back of a ute in my application. Perhaps that's why I didn't get picked :D

Pauline Hanson was from Ipswich wasn't she?

And yes Broken Hamlet, that is exactly the kind of ockerism that Andy Wilman has promised won't be in the show. :lol:

Wheels has put two of their biggest staffers in a ForTwo from Adelaide to Alice Springs.

I just read that. Didn't really rate the article, but appreciated the fact that they didn't just bag the crap out of it.

Since TGA isn't going to be a crabon copy of TG i think the challengers will also be ones we havn't seen before, although the budget cars is always good.

Since Aussies hav a fetish for raised 4wds and utes they should do something along those lines, maybe 4wd on a budget and a series of challenges.

Well in a radio interview one of the hosts said they came up with stacks of challenges but only needed 8, with NT being part of one of them i think.

Maybe they can test old skool utes against their present day counerparts, since we know that the current SS ute ain't being used as a ute.

Last edited:
I've always thought 'Star In An Unreasonably Priced Car' could work, or maybe just 'Star In A Crazy Car'. And the Australians are where you would start with that.

Star in a V8 supercar :)

I have an idea that is sort of based on previous suggestions: The Top Gear Ashes.

Basically, a cheap car challenge but with 2 teams: 1 team being the TG boys, the other team being TGA's presenters. Each respective team's car should be representative of their country and totally awful - perhaps a Rover SD1 vs VN Commodore, or maybe a clapped out mid 90s Ford Mondeo (I know it's not made in the UK, but it's still a very British car) vs ex-taxi AU Falcon. Use it as an excuse to send Jezza, Hamster and Captain Slow to Australia, it's been a long time coming. The winning team will get to set the losing team's car on fire. Put some of the ashes into an urn and there you go. The Top Gear Ashes.

Would be a bit of fun for Series 12 of TG and Series 2 of TGA.

Last edited: