Charge a car battery with computer PSU

TheCleaner

Car(s)
2004 Clio dCi 1.5 100HP
If you know computers, you'll probs know that the purpose of the psu is to deliver clean voltages of 12, 5 and 3.3 from mains. Each rail has a certain amp rating.

Anyway, i was told by a family friend, upon inspecting my dead ass clio that even though i dont have a proper car battery charger, i can charge it using a computer PSU.

I have an old psu that I dont mind testing the theory with, it has 13A on its 12V rail. So do you think its possible???

someone has done it
http://www.solar1.net/index.php?ind=news&op=news_show_single&ide=29

thoght this method involved plugging it into the cigarette lighter, I want to take the whole batery out and charge it that way.

This could be something that saves alot of people alot of money on expensive chargers when you can just use an old PSU

Last edited:
you can also just push it to start, and leave it running/drive it for an hour, battery will be charged as well

it isnt firing at all, and we have quite a long flat hill too.. tried several times and is it possiuble the battery is so dead it wont even make a sparkplug work..

putting it into persepective, the central locking isnt strong enough to lock the doors so im having to do it manually

you don't need a battery to have a car running

if you can't get it to work running from a hill, there probably is bigger problem than the battery (alternator?)

and tbh, a battery charger doesn't cost that much anymore

really, yikes, well thankfully its goin in the garage to get fixed from when it got hit before, so hopefully they'll fix it, at the cost of the other person insurer, since the car was fine before hand and had just passed its MOT