Cheap bulk shipping from US to AU

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
Quick query guys,

I've got some speakers in the US (at my dad's place) any idea what the cheapest way to get them back here is approx weight is 50kg (111lbs)

Stupid thing is I suspect that with shipping it's still far cheaper than buying them here (it's a nice set of paradigms)

To my knowledge there isn't any cheaper way. Even if you can do APO 111lbs is too much.

I have a cousin down there who ordered some motorcycle parts through us. We used regular shipping.

Even if you split up the packages, you are looking at $300/speaker to ship via normal couriers. It is cheaper to box them and send them with an airlines, or book a flight and have them as checked baggage. You may be able to send them without a ticket, just paying as cargo.

Air freight was what I was going to suggest looking into. Check all the airlines that fly into Melbourne from the US. $300 a speaker is still less than a ticket though. Flight is absurdly expensive these days.

Just a thought on air freight, you may get a better rate with the state airlines of the three emergent economies of China, Brasil or India. These are Air China, Varig and Air India.
So long as it's not time critical and it costs a lot less, what do you care if it goes via Bejing, Rio or Mumbai!
:)

Even with my massive discount a pkg that size to Melbourne would be around $140, full price from one of the main US air couriers(Fedex,UPS,DHL) would probably run about $550.

Don't forget to figure in extra weight for packaging and appropriate padding. That'll be several more pounds.

The real question is, is the shipping more than the value of the speakers? If it is, sell them on EBay in America and use that money to buy new speakers where you live.

For well under a grand (actually closer to $500 if the US site is already near a port) you could put the damned things by themselves in a 20ft shipping container, slap it on a cargo ship and wait a few weeks.

Hold cargo on Qantas is probably the best bet.

IIRC, his father's place is in Houston. Ports don't get too much larger than that.

Correct, it would be from Houston to Melbourne.

I don't care about time too much and as long as the cost is less than about $800 in postage i'll still be ahead

Even with my massive discount a pkg that size to Melbourne would be around $140, full price from one of the main US air couriers(Fedex,UPS,DHL) would probably run about $550.

$140 is amazingly cheap :O

Also it's worth mentioning that it doesn't have to be in one massive box, if it would be cheaper to split them up (e.g. the centre etc seperate package from the woofer)

Breakdown works out to

16lbs
34lbs
32lbs
29lbs

Last edited:
I'm still rather fond of my shipping container concept because I'm a huge fan of overdoing everything.

You people dissapoint me by not suggesting these guys :

https://pic.armedcats.net/q/qu/quiky/2009/08/27/23tnudi.jpg

They^ only move pianos. He'd have to find and buy a piano and then tape the speakers on top. That's impractical. :p

If anyone does have coupons etc for cheaper shipping that would be much appreciated (I need to wait at least a couple of weeks anyway for my dad to get back to the states)