Cheap (but good!) 4K video cameras?

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
We are in need of a decent video camera for use a the track. Something I can record 15-20 minutes of video per week with for use in social media, TV ads and YouTube content. What's out there in the $200-400 range that's worth a damn?

Are you doing any active camera movement like zoom or just handheld moving with the camera?

When I was considering something smaller than my DSLR for photos and video I was looking at the Sony RX100 series. All models from the MkIV onwards have 4K video recording and used prices appear to be quite reasonable.

I'm still not 100% decided what to do, but you are the second to suggest the RX100, @Matt2000 .

For now I did buy an external mic and a rig to hold my DSLR. If that turns out to not work as well as I hope, I'll be looking at the RX100 and a few of it's slightly pricier siblings.

While you're trying out the DSLR, consider how you're zooming and focusing. I'm guessing that you'll be filming cars going down the track and the motorised zoom on the compact cameras might not be the best for this. It still surprises me how much DSLRs are used for filming considering their limitations but they seem to work well.