Chevrolet Expects to Build 100 Millionth Small-Block V-8 This Fall

The axial flow engine shuffled in era where air travel is possible for everyone and not for the super rich. You'll be hard pressed to argue which is more important.

The axial flow engine shuffled in era where air travel is possible for everyone and not for the super rich. You'll be hard pressed to argue which is more important.

Yes, but that's a type and not a specific engine.

Also, if you're going to use those as your criteria, I'm afraid that knocks the Olympus right out of the running. The airplane and engines that made air travel possible for the everyman was the Douglas DC-3 and the Wright Cyclone 9 and Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp.

800px-Douglas_DC-3%2C_SE-CFP.jpg

If you want to limit it further to just jet travel... well, it's still not the Olympus, which was so bad that Boeing rejected it. No, that would be the Boeing 707 and its Pratt & Whitney JT3 engines. That was the plane and engine that made jet travel a commercially viable proposition for everyone.

Travolta707.JPG

Last edited:
Let me throw an argument in the mix that realy isen't one: image.

Did any airplane engine give any nation an image? Did any scooterengine give japan an image? Did the small block V8 give the US an image, hell yeah.
When I was a kid growing up in U-rope, back when animals could talk and the net was something people used to catch fish, 'America' was a land far away that was discribed in three words : movies , hamburgers (a rare find then back here believe it or not) and the American V8, seeing the small block is the most produced V8 in history, I say it qualifies.

Actually, the Honda Supercub did contribute to their national image in Japan, so it's equally valid. :p

Yes, IN Japan, not outside Japan, Infact I had never heard about a supercub before TopGears Vietnam special.

When I think about Japan (again as a European) I thing about busy cities with lots of neon, electronics and cheap reliable transportation.....not a supercub.

Yes, IN Japan, not outside Japan, Infact I had never heard about a supercub before TopGears Vietnam special.

When I think about Japan (again as a European) I thing about busy cities with lots of neon, electronics and cheap reliable transportation.....not a supercub.

Not sure how you managed to not know the Honda Cub-series. Probably something to do with all the Vespas.

Anyway, many people's image of Japan is or was much like what you describe, except they (at the time) envisioned millions of scooter-riding Japanese clogging the roads. (Which was true at the time.) The scooters? Mostly Hondas.

Last edited:
I had never heard of the Super Cub before fairly recently either. The Chevy small block is known around the world.

Because it's a scooter.....my hatred for them almost equals my hatred for bicycles (because people on them tend to pull the same shit) :p

Seriously though you have a point, but somehow Japan-scooter just doesn't 'register' on the same scale as V8-US, Italy-Supercar, or Germany-luxobarge for example....infact the first thing I think about with Japan transportationwise is a Corolla.
This offcourse will have lots to do with the fact that my generation simply wasen't exposed to Asian culture as much as today's with the whole manga thing and general globalisation, and we were directed 'West' alot more.

Last edited:
Anyone who was alive and paid attention to Vietnam during the American war there, or who has studied the era and area afterwards, will know that the Honda Supercub was ubiquitous in that area, even if they don't know it by name. In fact, it's why many people associate 'Asia' with scooters and the like. Examples:

1.1248013012.crazy-scooter-traffic-in-ho-chi-minh-city.jpg

asia_fall_2007.1190710740.img_1972.jpg

taipei_traffic_scooters.jpg

scooter-traffic-congestion.jpg

Asia is associated with scooters and small motorcycles because of the Supercub. So not only is it part of the Japanese national identity, it's part of an entire *continent's* identity. The Supercub got it started and is still around in significant numbers despite other makers clones and competitors. So's its engine.

And technically, while the Supercub *looks* like a scooter, it's technically a motorcycle, having the defining larger wheels and a shiftable transmission. It's just a small one. No need to hate it like a scooter. :D

Last edited:
Not sure how you managed to not know the Honda Cub-series. Probably something to do with all the Vespas.

Anyway, many people's image of Japan is or was much like what you describe, except they (at the time) envisioned millions of scooter-riding Japanese clogging the roads. (Which was true at the time.) The scooters? Mostly Hondas.

because i don't think they were sold over here

we all drove camino's... (also a honda)
which stock look like this

which some improved
didj66_1112216617_honda_20camino1.jpeg

and others made it look completely ridiculous
images

the cool thing about them was that they have quite big wheels, and with a few minor changes, you could get them doing 90-100 kmh...
...on drum brakes :|

The small block is a great engine and has changed with the times. Back when it was developed it would of blown the developers minds to know that the basic design was still in production albiet with modern technology and metalurgy and that it now could get 30 or so MPG at highway speeds.

I also love how it is the default engine of choice for modding something, small block Miatas are popular and I"ve seen them installed in RX-7's and old 240Z's, hell in a couple threads here there is an old Geo Tracker and even a Pacer.

I've never heard of the Honda Cub either.

Last edited:
I've never heard of the Honda Cub either, before just recently with TG in Vietnam, but then I never did have any passion for 2 wheeled motor-vehicles. When I see scooters and the like, the engines never really stand out for me, no more than the engines on our old lawnmowers growing up.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with how little the Saturn V has been brought up in this thread. Not only is it arguably the most important engine to date, but it's also the most powerful.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with how little the Saturn V has been brought up in this thread. Not only is it arguably the most important engine to date, but it's also the most powerful.
So far this thread has developed into comparing apples to oranges. This is an automotive forum, so Im not comfortable with the amount of times a 49cc scooter engine has been mentioned, let alone aircraft engines.

NASCAR RCR Spare Engine by Desperado8, on Flickr

Last edited:
I would also like to nominate those HP increasing stickers ricers use as the greatest automotive invention of all time. :p

The Oakley ones are the bestest evah. :cool: :p

So far this thread has developed into comparing apples to oranges. This is an automotive forum, so Im not comfortable with the amount of times a 49cc scooter engine has been mentioned, let alone aircraft engines.
Automotive engine? Maybe. However, it was called "the best engine in history", which is a pretty open-ended claim.

How many times has the SBC won outright honors at LeMans?

Oh, that's right, it would be a number that rhymes with "hero." :p

Meanwhile, the 'lowly' Ford V8s have more victories at that little circuit in France that's so hard to win at. :p

Because that determines what makes an engine the best...

I had never heard of the Super Cub before fairly recently either. The Chevy small block is known around the world.

+1

The Oakley ones are the bestest evah. :cool: :p
They are great sunglasses

Google "SuperCub" and you get a bunch of site for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub.
Google "Oakley" and you get a bunch of sites for Sunglasses
"

Last edited: