Chevy confirms global Colorado pickup for U.S.

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
http://img513.imageshack.**/img513/4374/142012chevroletcolorado.jpg
http://img194.imageshack.**/img194/6340/052012chevroletcolorado.jpg
http://img525.imageshack.**/img525/4959/072012chevroletcolorado.jpg
As expected, General Motors has just announced that the company's global Chevrolet Colorado is, in fact, headed our way. The company says that the vehicle's fuel efficiency, design and capability all make it ideal for American buyers, and that the excitement surrounding the truck's launch in Thailand earlier this month helped push the company to decide to bring it to the States. Unfortunately, GM isn't saying where the truck will be built or what kind of drivetrain(s) it will offer when it arrives. We have our fingers crossed for the 2.8-liter turbo diesel Duramax four-cylinder engine with 356 pound-feet of torque.

Of course, we have a hard time believing that GM would be willing to sell a mid-sized truck with that kind of power given that the engine bests the torque figures provided by the base V8 currently available in the Silverado 1500, but that won't stop us from lighting a candle, as we
think the U.S. market is itching for a reliable diesel mid-sized truck.

When it arrives, the Colorado will face diminished small- and mid-size pickup competition now that Ford is finally calling it quits with the Ranger and Ram has already axed the Dakota.

New Chevrolet Colorado Pickup Confirmed for U.S.

DETROIT ? A version of the all-new Colorado midsize pickup will be built and sold in the United States, Chevrolet confirmed today. The first version of the truck is launching this month in Thailand, to be followed by other regions around the globe.

"The new Chevrolet Colorado is generating a lot of excitement as we begin its launch in Thailand," said Chris Perry, vice president, global marketing and strategy for Chevrolet. "We think the design, capability and fuel efficiency of the new Colorado will make it attractive to U.S. customers."

Product details, timing, pricing and the production location will be announced later. The current-generation Colorado will be produced in Shreveport, La., through the 2012 model year.

The all-new global Colorado builds on Chevrolet's strong truck DNA and award-winning heritage, and the show truck versions generated significant attention at global auto shows in Thailand, Argentina, Australia and Germany. Thailand is the world's largest market for midsize pickup trucks.

In Thailand, the model lineup will include 2WD and 4WD regular, extended-cab and crew cab variants. Gasoline and diesel engines will be available, including new 2.5L and 2.8L turbo diesel engines that produce broad torque bands engineered for excellent cargo and towing capability.

Engine availability for U.S. versions will be announced at a future date.

The new Colorado is based on an all-new midsize truck architecture developed by GM do Brasil within GM's global product development organization. In major markets where the Colorado will be sold, engineers will tailor the truck to meet local needs.

"For example, Chevrolet Colorado Chief Engineer Roberto Rempel and his team lived in Thailand during the Colorado's development," said Brad Merkel, global vehicle line executive. "They immersed themselves in the highly competitive truck market and observed how the Thai people use their vehicles and the driving conditions they experience.

"A similar development process will precede the launch of the truck in the U.S. market," said Merkel. "We think American customers will be pleased with the results."

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/10/chevy-confirms-global-colorado-pickup-for-u-s/

No telling what engines it will come with in the U.S. Most likely gas I4/V6 and a diesel is a possibility.

The new one will possibly also be produced by drunken Cajuns in Shreveport. :p

That's one ugly truck.

How big is the new Colorado compared to the Silverado? It looks miles better than the Titan and Tacoma, but I'm still wondering if they are going to sell any in the US.

The front end reminds me too much of the Aveo. Don't want. I'd rather it look like part of the K/C or Silverado line-up rather than a cheap Korean econo-box.

The new one will possibly also be produced by drunken Cajuns in Shreveport. :p

Apparently it is going to be built at the Wentzville plant which at the moment only produces the Chevy Express and GMC Savana. It has quite a bit of capacity and it being underutilized at the moment.

I assume that is the one Holden are using here in OZ.

Wonder how it will go against the Hilux and the new Ford Ranger.

No Ranger for the U.S. It's only competition will be the Tacoma and the Frontier. A new Dakota is coming but it will be a unibody Ridgeline type vehicle.

I actually love the way it looks. It's nice and modern. IMO the silverado's overly squared off just to appear butch.

If you had shown me a picture of the truck without any details, I would have guessed it was a non-American truck. It rides too way high (look at the empty wheel arches!), looks too much like a car (needs a more square front end), etc.

Don't get me wrong -- small trucks are needed. The Ranger for example. But this... :thumbsdown:

It is a mini-van front end on it. If I wanted that look I would buy a mini-van.

:lol: i'm sure that helped too.

but in all seriousness, since when does brawn have to = over crazed insanely overt macho styling? This doesn't look nearly as gaudy as a high end silverado on the high trim cars in the photo and probably not as nearly as cheap looking as a base silverado.

That's one ugly truck.
Triple quoted, for extra strength. :p Seriously, that thing is hideous. But the possibility of seeing a smaller diesel truck here is nice.

but in all seriousness, since when does brawn have to = over crazed insanely overt macho styling?
Since oh, 10-15 years ago when the whole half-ton pissing contest really heated up. And even though I agree with you on how stupid new trucks are, man, even the gaudiest, most bro'd out, chromed half to death Silverado looks better than this thing.

Last edited:
If you had shown me a picture of the truck without any details, I would have guessed it was a non-American truck. It rides too way high (look at the empty wheel arches!), looks too much like a car (needs a more square front end), etc.

Don't get me wrong -- small trucks are needed. The Ranger for example. But this... :thumbsdown:

What you see is a non-American truck. Designed outside the U.S. for the world market. It rides like the world Ranger and other pickups from the various manufacturers. They all ride high.

Toyota Hilux:
http://img856.imageshack.**/img856/1196/toyotahiluxdoublecab30d.jpg

Ford Ranger:
http://img805.imageshack.**/img805/561/fordt6ranger20101.jpg

Mitsubishi Triton:
http://img69.imageshack.**/img69/7230/800px20092011mitsubirit.jpg

As you can see that have generally similar shapes and all ride fairly high when compared to American pickups. We are not yet sure of the design changes the Colorado will receive when it is sold in the U.S.