Chevy Cruze Recalled For Engine Fires

Rick, they brought over the Astra and nobody bought it. For two years.

For 2 reasons:

1. Higher price than competing cars mainly due to being built in Belgium and shipped here instead of being assembled in Spring Hill where Ion was built.

2. Poor advertising: The "Kiss my Astra" campaign. Need I say more?

3. Only offering an engine nobody in the civilised world would want.

4. Four speed automatic from the stone age. Yes, you could buy a real manual gearbox, but americans can't drive manuals, so automatic from stone age it is.

5. Cupholders.

Last edited:
I saw that when the first one came in. The under tray covered up the drain plug and you had to access it from the side. When out, it would drain oil on to the tray and then into the drain bucket if you did not take the tray off. Some of the older K series trucks were like that. When the oil got to a slow trickle, it would just drain right onto the steel protector plate. I don't know how they could not have seen that. Also the real old K series trucks, when you took the filter off, it would drain directly onto the U-Joint. So dumb.

3. Only offering an engine nobody in the civilised world would want.

4. Four speed automatic from the stone age. Yes, you could buy a real manual gearbox, but americans can't drive manuals, so automatic from stone age it is.

5. Cupholders.

Did Astra's sold in other countries have a 5 speed auto? I don't understand how Astra could have only a 4 speed when the Ion (for a short period) had a 5 speed auto box.

You could get a 6 speed auto with the 1.9 diesel but that also came with a detuned version of the engine so nobody bought it. If you were the government or an old person you could have a four speed automatic with your petrol engine. If you were a normal person you bought the manual. At least that's how it was here.

5. Cupholders.

Oddly enough the European cars I've have owned had more upholders than my American cars. My Mustang didn't have any.

It amazes me how companies (not just GM) who have been mass-producing cars for so long can still make such large fundamental errors when designing and building their products. Simply shocking.

6. It was badged as a Saturn, had it been a Chevrolet Astra It would've sold better methinks.

Oddly enough the European cars I've have owned had more upholders than my American cars. My Mustang didn't have any.

I swear to God I will buy the first car that comes with a standard hamburgerholder.....

I swear to God I will buy the first car that comes with a standard hamburgerholder.....

the first honda pilot had a "activity tray" with holders for those fast food sauce containers...thats the closest I can think of...

A REPAIR completed in minutes will get the almost 10,000 Holden Cruzes recalled yesterday back on the road.
Holden has announced 9547 Cruze sedans and hatches fitted with the 1.4-litre turbo petrol engine and built since June 2011 are being recalled to fix the potential for spilled oil to pool in the engine bay and possibly catch fire.The manufacturer says a hole cut in a plastic tray is the fix.The company's product communications manager Kate Lonsdale said the decision to modify the belly pan follows a recall in North America of all 413,418 Cruzes sold since September, 2010.There were two reported cases of fires in US vehicles last year.Holden is contacting customers to arrange a free modification but owners are urged to phone 1800 632 826.The Cruze has been built at Elizabeth since March last year.

That sounds rudimentary to say the least.

My my, and they were doing so well in the WTCC I actually thought this was a good car

My my, and they were doing so well in the WTCC I actually thought this was a good car

The lesson here is to never trust a motorsport that Americans don't care about.

Does that mean that every model racing in NASCAR should be in my next-car list?

Does that mean that every model racing in NASCAR should be in my next-car list?

Yes. If you were going to buy a Cruze based on Touring Car results, why not wait until next year, when the Chevy in NASCAR will be, for all intents and purposes, a Holden Commodore?

Cos Holden is not distributed in Portugal, to my great sadness and sorrow.

The Holden's going to be rebadged as a Chevy, and they distribute those in Portugal. So you get Aussie V8 goodness with an American badge, and best of all, it won't be based on an Impala, the retard's car of choice.

Big V8s don't fly here at all... we pay 1.60 ? per liter, that's 7.5+ dollars per gallon. Diesels is what sells here.

That sounds rudimentary to say the least.

It's not like the engine's leaking oil itself though. It's happening, they claim, by oil change places letting the draining oil drip onto the shield.

That said, they should have accounted for that in the initial design. Not everyone's going to end up doing things the 100% approved way or whatever, we're human.

Big V8s don't fly here at all... we pay 1.60 ? per liter, that's 7.5+ dollars per gallon. Diesels is what sells here.

Then your entire society is wrong and must be destroyed. It's the only way to save the world.