Chicago 2008: Ford Transit Connect arrives in the States ready to work

edit - also, who is this aimed at? Is it for the 'car with blacked out windows and removed rear seats' market? To compete against pickups? Or against fullsize vans such as the aforementioned Sprinters? I can't see it going after any of those...:/

Yeah, that's the problem. I can't think of any business niche that would buy this thing. It's too small for most commercial US use. It's not going to replace the US Mail's Grumman LLVs (because it's not made in the US). Some florists who currently use minivans might buy it, but most of them long ago settled on E-series vans or have converted to the Sprinter. The big delivery companies probably won't buy it, with the possible exception of UPS (who experiments with small vehicles for some reason) as it is too small for their efficiency models.

And, since this is a cargo-only variant, the people who want a minivan (Ford has none at the moment) to carry people won't buy it either.

So, basically, it has no significant US market. Why bother?

BTW for no apparent reason, I should mention that it has leafsprings.

BTW for no apparent reason, I should mention that it has leafsprings.

and drummies at the rear

and no doubt the engine is probably 112 years old... like the current ka's (the engine is from the realy realy realy old fiesta)

I like it, but there is no accounting for taste.

I can also think of lots of different kinds of companies/people that would buy it:
Cleaning Companies, Electricians. Couriers, People with dogs, Plumbers, Phone Contractors, Best Buy's Geek Squad (They'd be a lot more useful than the Beetles.), the aforementioned caterers and florists, etc.

Ford_Transit.jpg

THEY'VE BROUGHT THE WRONG TRANSIT OVER!!!!!!!! :cry:

Saw it today. Totally non-offensive, but certainly dull.

Leaf springs - it'll sell in bucket loads! :lol:

Ford - No minivan = S-Max or Galaxy (or both) great motors maybe too pricey?

Diesel - new ones developed with Peugeot should be as efficient, clean and quiet as any in the market.

And I agree they've brought over the wrong van, should take the full Transit chassis from Southampton (or Germany) and fit the storage boxes and possibly cabs too in the US/Canada for local market conditions.

Weird, hearing people talk about a van older than Jesus like it's new...

...am I mad, in a coma, or back in time? Or did Ford just take it's sweet time sending it over there?

chupacabra
That's what they should call this thing for the US market!

So, how many small businesses ARE there, which need to do a shitload of mileage in the US?
Well there are an insane amount of small businesses here. Parts stores, florists, expediters, caterers, mechanics, locksmiths etc etc could be interested in this. They need to bring the diesel and a manual trans over though. Expediters would love this thing with a diesel and a manual.

THEY'VE BROUGHT THE WRONG TRANSIT OVER!!!!!!!! :cry:[/QUOTE]
They sure did. That Transit actually looks decent for what it is.

Well, you Yanks wanted more European Fords :lol:

:)

I can see a niche for it. After all, a number of small businesses here use little vans. The VW Caddy especially seems to be popular (although we don't get the Transit Connect, only the regular Transit).

I'd say it'd have to be dirt cheap for people to buy it in the States, though.

According to the Ford UK site, the only petrol engine available in a normal Transit is a 2.3L. Might be a bit too small for Yank tastes (the ones we get are diesel only).

I saw this at the Chicago Auto Show. It is a good alternative for the too expensive Econoline series. Looks very versatile, too.

You can get used Econolines for less than 5 grand. I reckon this will only be good for people who don't need a van thats as big as an Econoline.