Chicago 2011: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is the fastest, most powerful ever

I think this is sweet, but i wish they upgraded the interior a bit more...why are the doors still covered in "I scratch visibly at the slightest touch" wal-mart grade shiny plastic?

That's what bothers me, esp. when you look at the Challenger's interior or the Mustangs....they make the inside of the Camaro look like an Aveo.

wasnt this supposed to be the Z28?

Just read a quite interesting article on Jalopnik about the origins of the ZL1 name.

Last week we met the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. Although many thought the model designed to compete with the Mustang GT500 would be the next Camaro to wear the famous Z28 badge, Chevrolet opted for ZL1. Here's why.

The ZL1 Camaro is likely the most legendary vehicle in a long and storied history of Chevrolet muscle cars. Although only 69 ZL1s slipped out GM's doors, the ones that did were the fastest cars GM would sell for decades to come. The name of the all-aluminum 427 V8 became synonymous with what remains one of the most potent Camaros to ever leave the factory.

The ZL1 Engine was never intended to be put into a street legal production car. Chevrolet had developed the engine primarily for Can-Am racing and other track use under the hood of a Corvette. Featuring aluminum heads used on the also potent L88 iron block 427, the ZL1 also featured an entirely aluminum casting of the 427 engine block. The combination resulted in an engine that was rated at 435hp and weighed about the same as a small block 327.

General consensus among those knowledgeable about ZL1s is that the engines actually produced in excess of 500hp. The engine could easily propel the Camaro in "stock" form to low 13 second ? miles. With minor modifications the cars were able to run deep into the 11s. In a time when muscle reigned supreme these kinds of numbers were unheard of.

The ZL1 Camaro came into existence through an exploitation of a Chevrolet factory process. The Central Office Production Order, known as COPO for short was a process that allowed vehicles to be specially ordered from the factory. The original intent was for specialty commercial vehicles, such as taxicabs or possibly trucks, although the process remains best known for the rare and special muscle cars it allowed Chevrolet dealers to produce.

Fred Gibbs owned Gibbs Chevrolet and was one of the dealers who were well versed in using COPO to produce rare muscle cars. Gibbs Chevrolet was well known as a high performance Chevrolet dealership before Fred Gibbs even conceived the Camaro ZL1. Dick Harrell, a longtime Chevrolet drag racer, had already been tuning COPO cars that Gibbs ordered for several years. The drag racer, who was already familiar with the ZL1 engine, had a hand in encouraging Fred Gibbs to pitch manufacturing ZL1 Camaros to Chevrolet. Both men believed the ZL1 engine in a Camaro would prove dominant on the street and more importantly on the track for the 1969 NHRA season.

With this in mind Fred Gibb contacted Vince Piggins, who was the head of product performance for Chevrolet engineering, in the late summer of 1968. Piggins was the man with final approval over what could be ordered through the COPO system. ZL1 Camaro production would be approved, Piggins told Gibb, as long as the dealer placed an order for at least 50. Gibbs said yes, Piggins approved the COPO 9560 package, and the stage was set for the production of one of the most serious Camaros Chevrolet ever built.

When the first two Dusk Blue 1969 ZL1 Camaros arrived at Gibbs Chevrolet in La Harpe, Illinois neither of the cars would start due to the cold weather. That wasn't close to the worst of it for Gibbs though. The sticker price on both cars, which has been previously unknown to the dealer, was over $7200. The price was significantly more than what a comparable iron blocked 427 COPO car cost. Not surprisingly, selling the expensive ZL1 turned out to be fairly sizable task.

Although 50 of the first 52 ZL1 Camaros made were shipped to Gibbs Chevrolet, the dealer was ultimately only able to sell 13, with the rest being returned to Chevrolet or exchanged with other dealers. After being prepped by Gibbs Chevrolet, the ZL1s were tuned by Dick Harrell. The dealership sold their last ZL1 in 1972, although it was actually repossessed and returned to them a year later. Some of the other dealerships who ended up with the now legendary cars pulled the ZL1s and replaced them with less expensive engines in order to sell the cars.

In the end, a total of 69 ZL1 Camaros were built. Even though the cars were barely street cars, they were supported by a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty. Chevrolet actually considered a regular production option ZL1 at one point in 1969 but wisely decided it was not a good idea. The ZL1 engine was also put under the hood of two Corvettes before leaving the factory. Although the cars didn't sell well when new, they certainly do now.

The low production numbers combined with the high performance potential make the ZL1 Camaro on of the most sought after rare muscle cars ever made. Before the collector car market burst, it was thought the ZL1 would be the first Camaro to sell for a million dollars. The Grey ZL1 seen at the top of the page sold for $486,000 in 2006 and you can see the sale of Reggie Jackson's green ZL1 post market implosion in the video above.

Taking into account the ZL1's reputation for being one of the fastest and most collectible Camaros ever made, it isn't hard to see why Chevrolet opted to bypass the Z28 name (for now) and name their new car the ZL1. Giving a production vehicle the name of what has until now been a Camaro legend for not only being the most powerful ever, but also for such a limited run, doesn't exactly sit right with us but it doesn't make the 2012 Camaro ZL1 any less cool. For now at least, the legendary 1969 will remain the first thing that comes to mind at the mention of the term ZL1.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5759179/the-legend-of-the-zl1

But that would have to mean that this is the top of the line Camaro, and that the Z28 they're still working on will be less powerful than this.

Last edited:
I don't care if the Z28 is less powerful, it needs to be n/a and lighter than the regular production models. I see no reason for it to come with a back seat either.

I don't care if the Z28 is less powerful, it needs to be n/a and lighter than the regular production models. I see no reason for it to come with a back seat either.

Based on the ZL1's history, I would've expected this one to be light dragstrip (track) version.

Reading the history of the ZL1, it's almost a shame they didn't use the 427ci LS7 Corvette motor. Although the motor they're using instead is far more powerful, so I guess that's more important than a retro displacement number. :p

Ok I got it.

GM here's what ya need to do:

Remove power 6 way adjustable front seats , Install manually operated recaros = weight savings of about 100lbs (last I checked most electric seats were around 80lbs without heating elements)

Remove at least 7 of the 9 air bags = weight savings unknown, but between the bags and all the various mechanics to run them I'm sure it would be of significance. I'm guessing 50lbs

Remove 7 of the 9 speakers in the speaker system = 60lbs after saved wiring and complexity.

Fiberglass hood, front fenders, significantly reduced sound insulation,
& take a page from the M3 csl and lighten the trunk floor. Use the cardboard based stuff they did, or maybe your aluminum/bulsa wood stuff from the z06? = 275lbs I guess

Brakes: splurge a little and give us 2 piece aluminum hats, go back and save money (you and us for pad replacements in the future) by not throwing "BREMBO" on the calipers. 4 or 6 piston aluminum calipers will do just fine. = rotors should save about 3 lbs or more per wheel. = 12lbs.

All those useless gauges down below the shifter? Yeah you can throw those uselessly located piles of "making you think it's not an" idiot light out. = 4lbs

Simplify and lighten the damn exhaust. There ain't a car under 90k that can't shave 15-30lbs from the damn exhaust alone. Quite using such cheap ass steal people!

There I just shaved 516lbs off the weight of a Camaro SS. That puts us at 3360lbs. Feel free to use the special 5.3l (327) variant of the LS series small block from the FWD GTP's and maybe shave a few lbs (but lets keep the power near 400-ish). Maybe some aluminum suspension bits or the option to ditch the AC and trim off another 50lbs?

Find someone else to make you some lightweight 18's (or figure out how to make a set of 17's look good) and throw what we, not in the business, like to call "a fuck ton of rubber" under the car. Call Koni to make you some dampers while you're at it.

You now have a Z/28.

Last edited:
Ok I got it.

GM here's what ya need to do:

Remove power 6 way adjustable front seats , Install manually operated recaros = weight savings of about 100lbs (last I checked most electric seats were around 80lbs without heating elements)

Remove at least 7 of the 9 air bags = weight savings unknown, but between the bags and all the various mechanics to run them I'm sure it would be of significance. I'm guessing 50lbs

Remove 7 of the 9 speakers in the speaker system = 60lbs after saved wiring and complexity.

Fiberglass hood, front fenders, significantly reduced sound insulation,
& take a page from the M3 csl and lighten the trunk floor. Use the cardboard based stuff they did, or maybe your aluminum/bulsa wood stuff from the z06? = 275lbs I guess

Brakes: splurge a little and give us 2 piece aluminum hats, go back and save money (you and us for pad replacements in the future) by not throwing "BREMBO" on the calipers. 4 or 6 piston aluminum calipers will do just fine. = rotors should save about 3 lbs or more per wheel. = 12lbs.

All those useless gauges down below the shifter? Yeah you can throw those uselessly located piles of "making you think it's not an" idiot light out. = 4lbs

Simplify and lighten the damn exhaust. There ain't a car under 90k that can't shave 15-30lbs from the damn exhaust alone. Quite using such cheap ass steal people!

There I just shaved 516lbs off the weight of a Camaro SS. That puts us at 3360lbs. Feel free to use the special 5.3l (327) variant of the LS series small block from the FWD GTP's and maybe shave a few lbs (but lets keep the power near 400-ish). Maybe some aluminum suspension bits or the option to ditch the AC and trim off another 50lbs?

Find someone else to make you some lightweight 18's (or figure out how to make a set of 17's look good) and throw what we, not in the business, like to call "a fuck ton of rubber" under the car. Call Koni to make you some dampers while you're at it.

You now have a Z/28.

You forgot about the factory installed dead hooker in the trunk.

And the rear seats. They're useless anyway.

We'll be seeing quite a few new Camaros in the coming years. Perhaps one of them will be a stripped out track version.

You think there were a lot of special editions of the Bugatti Veyron? The Europeans ain't got nothin' on muscle cars when it comes to low-volume derivatives. And for its part, Chevrolet doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon. Just the opposite, in fact... at least, that is, according to the latest reports.

Word has it that Chevy is planning on rolling out a new special edition Camaro every six months for ? hold on while we take out our trusty old Autoblog abacus ? two each year! The new ZL1 that debuted in Chicago is said to be the first in a long line that is expected to be followed by a new Transformers edition for the upcoming sequel Dark of the Moon. After that we should see run of 500 replicas of the Camaro SS Convertible that's set to pace the Indianapolis 500, and then a limited-edition Camaro Synergy that'll offer buyers a V6 with all the performance bits you'd expect from the V8.

If the reports prove accurate, that ought to take us through the end of next year. Beyond that, Chevrolet reportedly plans on tapping in to other historic Camaro variants for future specials. Have a thought or two on the subject? Tell us what special Camaro you'd like to see next ? you never know who might be listening.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/14/report-gm-to-launch-special-edition-camaro-every-six-months/

autoblog said:
Transformers edition ... 500 replicas of the Indianapolis 500 Camaro SS Convertible ... Camaro Synergy V6
I hate you GM.

Seriously, these are their plans for the next year and a half? Cashing in on some Mel Brooks tier "merchandising" and a pseudo-green model? They never cease to fall short of expectations. And my bar for GM is pretty damn low.

Meh, there will be a ton of idiots who will buy it. One of my sister's old boy friends gloated about how a car was rare because GM only made 3000 of them with a certain paint color.

Holy Christ; you need to be a scriptwriter for The Biggest Loser. Nice estimates, but about as realistic as Obama's goals for 'change'.

Shedding 300 pounds to get it to its pre-teen weight won't do much for the current Camaro. Its far easier to gain power than drop weight...and it makes for far better selling points.

Last edited:
GM does performance as good as anyone. It's the other things like family cars, compact cars, etc. that they don't have a handle on.

Yea, they build one hell of a NASCAR...

Anyone who knows cars knows that GM and Corvette mean different things. I may hate the vette but it is a good car, name something else they do good. everything they build looks and drives like plastic and sheet metal on wheels to me. One of the first things i look for when im renting a car is if they have anything OTHER than a GM product for me to drive.

That was the rumor, but apparently the Z28 is still in the works to fight the BOSS.

That may take a while but if they pull it off then the above statement will be null. Im sorry to disagree but i just dont see it happening. Not with the people they have designing cars. again, IMO

Can we try something different? I'm thinking something lightweight that handles and is just plain fun to drive at legal speeds?

Please see the new BOSS, its very good

The Boss is 3631lbs. That is a LOT.

But what do I know, I think 3000lbs is a lot.

How much does your Honda weigh? :p