CHILI TIME!

Serj

Car(s)
06 Ford Crown Vic
With some of the biggest games of the year this weekend (*cough*OSUvUofM*cough*) I thought, hey, there ought to be lotsa people making the "big game favorite"... CHILI! Share a recipie and perhaps end-result or action shots, or just the the awkward faces of the unwitting patrons to your 3-alarm special! :cry: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

UPDATE::

Sorry it took so long, check out my chili!

Last edited:
Chili with beans = PHAIL.

Real chili never has beans. "If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans."

i think some beans are acceptable, but it should not compose 40% of the make like wendy's does. I like their chili so long as i avoid the beans. my chili is currently in progress and im just going to take some pics of the end result. seeing as i really don't have a recipie nailed down, just some guidelines, it'd be pointless to post my version in any specific detail. :)

Been meaning to make some this winter, I got a Pork Tenderloin I have to use up first.

And yes to the no beans in Chili, I can stand some, but whoever invented vegetarian chili needs to be shot.

I always put a couple of squares of good quality (70% plus) chocolate in my chili. It doesn't make it taste chocolately, but it smooths off the edges of the spice a bit without taking the heat out. Everything else is pretty much negotiable. Don't make it often any more - a couple of years back we had a fire and it took weeks to sort out the kitchen so we were living out of the microwave. The only thing I could make in there from scratch that tasted any good was chili, so I got sick to death of the sight of the bloody stuff. Starting to enjoy it again now, though :D

Chocolate, that's a new one.

Grape Jelly, Pepsi, cinnamon, pineapple, Dr. Pepper, seems as if everyone puts something a little different in their chilli.

I like the sourdough chili bowl at Claim Jumpers, it has pieces of steak instead of ground beef. It's also one of the cheapest items on their menu, lol.

chili + beans = fail bean soup

I always put a couple of squares of good quality (70% plus) chocolate in my chili. It doesn't make it taste chocolately, but it smooths off the edges of the spice a bit without taking the heat out.

Chocolate is a favorite ingredient of mine as well it adds great mouth feel as well as cutting the acidity nicely.

I like the sourdough chili bowl at Claim Jumpers, it has pieces of steak instead of ground beef. It's also one of the cheapest items on their menu, lol.

my chili went from ok to fucking rightous when i made the swap from ground beef to cubed chuck. I like to cut the meat into cubes about the size of a normal 6 sided die (1/2" on a side) i think the texture is MUCH nicer as well as much more disctinct taste of the meat.

Chocolate in Chili? did you guys grow up in Cincinnati? that's what they put in "Skyline Chili" and that stuff is my addiction >_>

My chili, I use beer. :D

pics to come soon!

Sorry about that Michigan loss, but we pretty much knew it was going to happen.

Anyways. . .
:threadnopics:

Chocolate in chili? I'll have to try that out sometime.

And I don't understand all this hatred of beans in chili. What, do you just put meat and veggies in yours? That's not chili friends, it's stew :p.

I don't have a recipe, I normally just cobble a bunch of stuff together in a crock pot. A lot of beef, maybe some tenderloin or bacon too. Beans! Red, black, pinto, navy haha whatever. Onions, stewed tomatoes, and a variety of peppers. Some flour to thicken it up. A pouch of whatever chili seasoning and a tablepoon or two of Dave's Insanity Sauce. One tablespoon gives it a lot of kick, two tablespoons with give you a fantastic pot of "OH &$%#" chili.

And I don't understand all this hatred of beans in chili. What, do you just put meat and veggies in yours? That's not chili friends, it's stew :p.

Wrong on so many levels. Let me guess, you put soda in your malt whiskey right?

The thing my parents call "chili" has noodles in it! Yes, it's more of of a beef/tomato/celery/bean/onion/chili-seasoned soup...but you know what? It may not be real chili, but every gathering they are invited to, they are asked to bring a Nesco or two full of it, and they never leave with leftovers.

UPDATE::

Sorry it took so long, check out my chili!

:cheers::cheers:

Very nice Chili. Judging by the size of the pot you probably won't run out for quite some time, how about a superball Chili party? :twisted:

Doesn't anyone put chicken or peppers or onions in chili? Is that just me?

heh. Actually, if you look closely, there is chopped onion, stewed tomatoes, chopped celery (trust me this is a very good addition), and i usually put in fresh chopped chili peppers in, but didn't find any, so i used "hot pepper paste" which imo actually does a better job of livening up the mix!

ViperVX: That was 2 gallons of chili, and i brought half a gallon to a chili contest, in which it got 3rd place (would have been tied for first but as this was a company function the 'bosses chili' won) also, i sent half a gallon to my aunt/uncle's house, and my wife likes it so much she usually can do 2-3 bowls at a sitting (and she's like 120lbs).

I took another 2-3cups and combined with Queso Dip to make some great Chili-Cheese dip for the game!

So I just concocted a bit of my five eon supply of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili, and all I can say is that it is fantastic stuff.

Onions, stewed tomatoes, and a variety of peppers.

Doesn't anyone put chicken or peppers or onions in chili? Is that just me?

Fuck onions, man! Everybody puts onions in their chili, and it completely ruins it! I love chili, but I hate onions more than everything in the world, I don't understand why everyone insists on cooking fucking everything there is in the world with onions! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hope global warming makes onions die out!

(oh green onions are okay, and garlic rocks, but normal onions? I feel sick when I just taste the texture of them)

Now, apart from my onion rant, and disregarding the presence of any onions, that chili looks good. I don't really care if there are beans in it, as long as there's not too much (I'm looking at you, vegetarians), and the rest is right.

Fuck onions, man! Everybody puts onions in their chili, and it completely ruins it! I love chili, but I hate onions more than everything in the world, I don't understand why everyone insists on cooking fucking everything there is in the world with onions! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hope global warming makes onions die out!

(oh green onions are okay, and garlic rocks, but normal onions? I feel sick when I just taste the texture of them)

Now, apart from my onion rant, and disregarding the presence of any onions, that chili looks good. I don't really care if there are beans in it, as long as there's not too much (I'm looking at you, vegetarians), and the rest is right.

Dude wtf. Onions are like the most manly vegetables in existence, they go well with everything. Caramalized onions = best burger ever.