China Puts the Brakes on Foreign Automakers

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Since nobody brought it up yet, I'll post it here.

Policy Change
China Puts the Brakes on Foreign Automakers

By Wieland Wagner in Beijing

For years, foreign automobile companies have reaped most of the profits to be had in the enormous Chinese market. But in a largely unnoticed change, Beijing is now ending their preferential treatment of carmakers from abroad to focus more on developing domestic technology and brands.

The sea change is coming slowly, as if to protect those affected from being startled out of their festive mood. At the end of last year, the Chinese government's National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) approved a new industrial plan that could have a devastating effect on German car manufacturers like Volkswagen, BMW and Mercedes once it takes effect in late January.

These companies have worked to make China one of their most important and successful foreign markets, while Beijing industrial planning officials looked on in frustration. In the first 11 months of last year, VW alone sold more than 2 million vehicles in there -- up more than 15 percent from 2010.

But this kind of growth could now be over. To protect the "healthy development" of their domestic auto industry, the NDRC said it would remove car manufacturing from the list of industries where it encourages foreign investment. The goal of the change is clear: Beijing wants to help its own carmakers break into the market.

Domestic Manufacturers Suffering

When compared to foreign manufacturers, domestic Chinese carmakers such as BYD ("Build Your Dreams") are suffering from the current slow-down in the market there. After Beijing cut state benefits for car purchases, the entire Chinese auto market grew by only about 3 percent in 2011 -- compared to 30 percent the previous year.

It was not exactly what the communist government had in mind for its car industry when it was opened up to foreign manufacturers in the 1980s. They stipulated that foreign automakers could only produce vehicles in China if they established equal joint ventures with Chinese partners -- and this still hasn't changed. Beijing hoped to harness the foreigners to act as mentors to their own companies. At the same time, they also hoped to nurture some of China's more than 100 carmakers into becoming internationally competitive companies.

The plan, though, didn't quite work. Instead of learning modern technologies and creating their own attractive brands, Chinese government enterprises often took the opportunity to comfortably earn money through the joint ventures. Chinese car brands managed to capture just 30 percent of the domestic auto market.

Companies like Shanghai Automotive Industries (SAIC) decayed into cumbersome holding companies, even though the state-run colossus maintained joint ventures with VW and General Motors (GM). They left most business operations up to the foreigners. Only after political pressure from Beijing in the last few years have Chinese auto companies redoubled their efforts at producing their own brands.

But they were too late. In the meantime international companies like VW had already started squeezing Chinese manufacturers with their own discount brands like Skoda. VW also plans to strengthen its more affordable offerings with models from their Spanish subsidiary SEAT.

Foreign Models Preferred

Beijing's next tactic was pressuring foreign carmakers to build domestic brands with Chinese partners. Thus joint ventures with GM and Nissan produced the Baojun and Venucia, respectively. And VW promised to offer an electric vehicle called Kaili beginning in 2013, a pledge that reportedly resulted in approval to build a new factory in Foshan, in the country's southern Guangdong province.

Chinese consumers, though, haven't been excited by these "domestic brands," still preferring foreign originals. Plus, in the interest of security, foreign companies develop their main technologies at their headquarters back home.

This means that China's auto industry planners have widely missed their ambitious goals. If Beijing had its way, the domestic auto industry would be as successful as their high-speed train production.

Restricted Factory Construction

Through clever negotiating tactics the Ministry of Railways skilfully played German, French, Canadian and Japanese manufacturers against one another, getting them to relinquish their core technologies. The result: In other international markets China's trains have long become serious competition to their former mentors.

Now, everything is set to change with the new rules for foreign investment. The plan could indeed accelerate the transfer of technology in the auto industry.

The activities of foreign carmakers will still be allowed in China, and for certain components like motors, automotive electronics and transmissions, Beijing will still allow foreign investment. Companies such as VW are already well established on the Chinese market anyhow, making the withdrawal of state support unlikely to damage their business.

When it comes to building new factories and branching out into the enormous market's hinterlands, however, the new rules may prove to be restrictive, because local officials will be tasked with interpreting them. A number of provinces have their own local carmakers, and they have little interest in allowing foreign competitors into their regions.

Electric Future

The situation could become particularly difficult for brands such as BMW, Ford or Mazda, which have so far only worked with one partner and depend on their further cooperation. Things might be even more difficult for Japanese car company Subaru as it attempts to advance into the Chinese market. The government is likely to demand concessions in know-how in exchange.

Despite the new rules, China's industrial planners are under no illusion that they will quickly catch up to foreign manufacturers technologically. Instead they are focusing their ambitions on electric cars, the sector of the future, by forcing cooperation with foreign producers.

Similar to the solar industry, where thanks to state support China has risen to be the world market leader, the country hopes to overtake the electric car competition in the long run. To this purpose, the NDRC's new plan includes another important requirement: Those who want to produce car batteries in China won't be allowed to do so alone, but only in an equal joint venture with a Chinese partner.

Source: http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,807582,00.html

I suppose it was only a question of time.

I'm one of the guys that wants to see China rise up. I just hope I don't end up eating my words in 10-20 years if things get messy and world leaders disagree about important things I can't change.

Until then I'm genuinely interested in what (automotive) China might have to offer in the next coming years. They just need to get around that "made in China" quality stereotype. That's gonna be really hard.

Competition is good but I don't see how this "transfer of technology" is going to work out. Foreign auto makers aren't stupid, if they decide that the profits they're making aren't equal to the value of the intellectual property they're handing over, they will pull out and China will be left where it started. Though I guess if Japan can do it then so can China, but for one reason or another 'made in Japan' sounds like quality and as NightHawk has said, it's going to be difficult for them to overcome the stigma of a 'made in China' label.

Competition is good but I don't see how this "transfer of technology" is going to work out. Foreign auto makers aren't stupid, if they decide that the profits they're making aren't equal to the value of the intellectual property they're handing over, they will pull out and China will be left where it started. Though I guess if Japan can do it then so can China, but for one reason or another 'made in Japan' sounds like quality and as NightHawk has said, it's going to be difficult for them to overcome the stigma of a 'made in China' label.

Damn, you're young. I'm old enough to remember when Made In Japan was a byword for "cheap and chintzy". My father would have never, ever considered a Japanese car when I was growing up. Hell, it was enough of a shock to me when, for his last vehicle, he switched from Chrysler to Ford. It even surprised me when my mother, in her early Merry Widow phase, bought a Mazda (thus sticking me with the Windstar From Hell alluded to above). And now I've got a Japanese car. When I bought that one a little more than four years ago, I never even considered a Hyundai or Kia due to the perceived poor build quality. If I were facing the same decision today, I'd have no problem looking at the Koreans.

If the Chinese progress at the same rate as the Japanese and Koreans, by the time you're in the market for your first family vehicle, a Geely or SIAC will probably be a viable and affordable option.

Until then I'm genuinely interested in what (automotive) China might have to offer in the next coming years. They just need to get around that "made in China" quality stereotype. That's gonna be really hard.

Just look at what Hyundai/Kia have done in the last few years. They've gone from being a complete joke to some serious contenders in no time at all.

I just hope I don't end up eating my words in 10-20 years if things get messy and world leaders disagree about important things I can't change.

Now what are the chances of that happening? /sarcasm

Chinese goods can be of good quality. Of course that also means they're not bargain-basement cheap. And as China advances, so will wage costs, further reducing the gap in cost. Already foreign companies have been moving production from China to other asian countries with lower costs for a number of years.

Companies are always looking for the next slave wage state to maximize profits.

The thing with Japanese or Korean cars is: The more they become equal in quality, the more they lose their price advantage. You cannot offer the same quality and technology and charge considerably less. They all started out as cheap alternatives to the established brands but now that they have developed their own image, they also match the prices of their European competitors. They're not on VW price level yet but they have a tough job competing with he cheaper VAG in-house alternatives Skoda or SEAT, not to mention Renault's cut-price brand Dacia.

It's been an advantage for the European market, that after the fall of the iron curtain there now are low-income countries a stone's throw away, so to speak.

The way I see it, though, is that in Asia the Asian carmakers will rather compete with each other, than competing with European brands. People with money will always buy more prestigious European brands, especially in China, where prestige counts a lot. VW already has a big name in China and so do all the other premium brands from Europe. So the fight will mainly be fought in the mass market in my eyes.

Last edited:
And bring their manufacturing to the local marketplace as the japanese and koreans already have. Shipping cars halfway around the world takes time and costs money.

Last edited: