China's Transit Elevated Bus

jack_christie

Forum Addict
China's Transit Elevated Bus (TEB)

"With a carrying capacity of 1,200 people at a time, the TEB has the same functions as the subway while its cost of construction is less than one fifth that of the subway. Its construction can be finished in one year," said Bai Zhiming, engineer in charge of the TEB project.

The first test of such bus is planned to start trail operation in Qinhuangdao City, north China's Hebei Province, in the second half of 2016.

http://www.cctvplus.com/news/20160522/8021997.shtml#!language=1

CjDFRziVAAAFcJf.jpg

This has been popping up online every now and then for the last 6 years (could've sworn we had a thread, but I can't find it), and they're still working with renders and models. The Hyperloop has had more progress in the last year than these guys have in 6. I'll believe it when I see an actual full size test unit.

Last edited:
Anyone who has even seen footage of Chinese road antics know that a bus straddling lanes would be in trouble. Lane markers are guidelines, not brick walls in China and most everywhere else.

Yes but the dashcam footage is going to be epic!

Oh I don't see any danger at all! People drive perfectly and never swerve left or right, this thing will never ever hit a car.

I see it stops traffic whenever it stops, how is that supposed to work? Seems like a great way to mess up the road traffic with a train that doesn't need to be there.

I've always thought that (ignoring safety issues for the minute) the centre of a motorway would be a great place for a railway line shuttle thing but this isn't what I had in mind.

Cool as that is, I don't see it happening, imagine the accidents, imagine 1200 people stranded and the tracks blocked after every fender bender....

I think it's more common than some people think.

Some parts of BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), primarily when running between cities along highways:
1024x1024.jpg

MUNI, when in downtown San Francisco:
DSC_0283.jpg

It should be a balanced T-shape in profile using gyroscopic stabilizers instead of a U-shape. It would have considerably less effect on traffic that way.

It should be a balanced T-shape in profile using gyroscopic stabilizers instead of a U-shape. It would have considerably less effect on traffic that way.

That could only end well.

This is vaporware. Pure and simple.

I see no drawbacks whatsoever!

:mrgreen:

So what if there is a truck in the middle lane instead of a car ?, 1200 people stuck in a trafic jam just like everyone else .

Can this go away already? I saw Ian Callum retweet it sympathetically. How is that possible? This idea is so asinine and yet all of these people are getting excited about it. It looks like one of those articles with the big thumbnails in the spam links below a page on a really sketchy "news" website, right next to the miracle cures and the genetic anomalies.

Can this go away already? I saw Ian Callum retweet it sympathetically. How is that possible? This idea is so asinine and yet all of these people are getting excited about it. It looks like one of those articles with the big thumbnails in the spam links below a page on a really sketchy "news" website, right next to the miracle cures and the genetic anomalies.

A lot of not sketchy sites are picking this up as well. Everyone is shouting how this is such an amazing new idea. Has the concept of research gone completely out the window? It will take all of 5 seconds to find the 6 year old links I posted above and realize this is nothing more than vaporware, just like Viper said.

Christ, Autoblog just reposted this while I was typing this post.

Last edited:
There are people getting excited about the stupidest crap lately anyway, and many actually funding these things. Don't forget Solar frikken roadways, getting plastic out of air, etc.

There are people getting excited about the stupidest crap lately anyway, and many actually funding these things. Don't forget Solar frikken roadways, getting plastic out of air, etc.

I was just thinking that too. Those Solar Roadways people were/are such grifters. I hope they did something nice with their millions of dollars that the government and public gifted them.

The USDOT, at the end of last year, gave them another 2-years, $750,000 research contract.