Chinese Man Vows to Only Drive Cars Built in China After Crashing Mercedes S350

In my experience there are two types of traffic collisions:

Type 1: The Accident:
The accident is a genuine accident and is not the result of negligence or poor decision making on the part of anyone on the road. There are very few genuine accidents.

Type 2: The Stupid:
This is a collision that is caused by excessive speed, driving under the influence, using a cell phone, applying make-up, shaving, or poor decision making.
The vast majority of "accidents" are in fact Stupids.

That driver was just VERY lucky, I don't think any consumer car is built to crash at those speeds.

actually theirs some surprising little cars that can stand very high crash speeds, the first i know of that was tested against walls at 50mph was the Fiat X1/9, thankfully it seems the 1st gen MR2 that copied, i mean was inspired by the X1/9 ;), seemed to inherit some of this, without a doubt though the 2nd generation MR2 was even better, i have seen so many phenomenal survival stories from those cars.

No, the accidents are avoidable. The rest of the world is a good example of that.

I know what you mean though. I read a cool article in an old episode of Car&Driver or MotorTrend or something. They went to China for a road test and explained how bad the drivers and roads are. The Chinese haven't been allowed to own their own cars until just recently, so no one really knows how to drive a car very well. It's not built into their fabric of life yet.

being a chinese person i can elaborate on all of this a little :p

The roads are great, since most of them are very new, very smooth, great to drive on. However, once you are in a city it is not as good. It's not really about the fact that nobody was allowed to own a car etc etc, because its not like it takes a lifetime to learn how to drive, but rather there are so many cars on the road in china it is unbelievable and I guess it doesnt help that the driving test isnt particularly difficult - although thats being changed, and also, the chinese way of driving is not very polite, to put it mildly.

Especially the taxi drivers.

It's the equivalent in human terms of a stampede of shoppers clawing their way to be first to get into a new John Lewis store or something. If you leave a gap, it will be taken advantage of, if you dont push, you get pushed, etc, its a bit dog eat dog.

so, with that in mind, its inevitable that accidents happen. And unfortunately, most middle aged chinese businessmen able to afford mercs tend to be pricks like him- i've met a fair few (on account of my uncle being one himself), and they are all pompous, arrogant, full of themselves and really not pleasant at all.

anyway, china is otherwise a very nice place with nice people :)