Chocolate - what do you prefer?

Chocolate - what do you prefer?

• Total voters
I don't eat chocolate anymore, but if I did it would mostly be Cadbury's or Kinder. And whatever chocolate is in smarties. Oh, and Aero (Which if I recall is made by Nestle).

Inspired by this thread I bought 70% dark chocolate with chili today. It was shite.

It had too much rice crisp as filler and didn't really have much taste of chili and mostly because it tasted like cocoa powder or that cheap dark chocolate used for baking, which actually would have been better.

Maybe I stick with my milk chocolate or try something even more expensive and exclusive.

I've never had the opportunity to try really good dark chocolate, so white is my preference.

I've never had the opportunity to try really good dark chocolate, so white is my preference.

The problem is, that there isn't just "good" or "bad" dark chocolate.

The taste of cocoa differs enormously, depending on where it was grown. I once visited a "chocolate seminar" at a cafe here. They make their own chocolate there and we got to taste about a dozen different sorts of dark chocolate from different regions in the world. Each one tasted very differently.

As I said before: They can taste creamy or bitter or even fruity, as if there has been orange extract added.

Most good dark chocolates you can buy, are a combination, a composition of lots of different cocoa bean sorts.

Finding out what suits you best, is not an easy task.

White > Milk > Dark

but I love them all. Depends on the mood really
I'm not into the REALLY dark ones though

The problem is, that there isn't just "good" or "bad" dark chocolate.

The taste of cocoa differs enormously, depending on where it was grown. I once visited a "chocolate seminar" at a cafe here. They make their own chocolate there and we got to taste about a dozen different sorts of dark chocolate from different regions in the world. Each one tasted very differently.

As I said before: They can taste creamy or bitter or even fruity, as if there has been orange extract added.

Most good dark chocolates you can buy, are a combination, a composition of lots of different cocoa bean sorts.

Finding out what suits you best, is not an easy task.

here in states, Hershey had (maybe still has) a series of chocolates that were of single origin. though not all of em were purely dark chocolate, some were milk chocolate, it was indeed amazing how different they could taste depending on reigon.

This thread really screwed with my head, because I swear last night I dreamt that I ate like a whole bar of dark chocolate (it was either C?te d'Or or Lindt).

Well, there is a chocolate factory here in town with an outlet store.

Guess what that means.

You live in the Land of Chocolate?
land_of_chocolate.jpg

Milk or White only please!

White > Milk > Dark

but I love them all. Depends on the mood really
I'm not into the REALLY dark ones though

great minds think alike!

Chocolate, hot peppers, and pomegranate? Now THAT's a strange combination.

Well, the combination of chocolate and chili is as old as chocolate itself. The Mayas already drank grinded cocoa beans in hot water with chili.

All the Europeans did, was adding sugar and later milk.

Hot chocolate with a bit of chili powder is extremely delicious.

By the way: Did anyone ever watch the movie "Chocolat" with Johnny Depp? Very recommendable, great and touching film.

Last edited:
Well, he plays a sort of river gypsy in that movie ;)

Judy Dench also has a great role in it.

Chocolate, hot peppers, and pomegranate? Now THAT's a strange combination.

strange though it may be, it's also heavenly. From the same series they also have cassis with chili and mango with cayenne. Also good, but the pomegranate one is one step better.

See, mango goes with chili and cayenne. They all grow together, chocolate, chili, mango. I just can't wrap my mind around the pomegranate! They're highly seasonal and grow best in the middle east. It doesn't help that I've never had anything pomegranate flavored that even came close to the magnificence of the actual fruit.

I also like the strawberry/black pepper combination.

Hot chocolate with a bit of chili powder is extremely delicious.
I'm trying this right now. I melted chocolate in to milk and then mixed in the chilli powder. Most excellent! :D

See, mango goes with chili and cayenne. They all grow together, chocolate, chili, mango. I just can't wrap my mind around the pomegranate! They're highly seasonal and grow best in the middle east. It doesn't help that I've never had anything pomegranate flavored that even came close to the magnificence of the actual fruit.

I generally don't like mixing flavors (especially fruity ones) with chocolate, but I am somewhat OK with pomegranate and chocolate. We used to have a couple of hundreds of those trees at home. The taste is great but eating the fruit is a PITA. Its like killing ants :lol: