Chris Evans - Hold or Fold?

Chris Evans - Hold or Fold?

• I want the door to hit him REALLY hard in the arse on the way out.

Votes: 146 86.9%
  • Give the guy a chance. He can't help his hair or the shape of his head.

Votes: 22 13.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
I realise it's early days and they were damn big shoes to fill but based on first viewings as well as the reservations many had at the time of his appointment I think a poll is in order.

Not suggesting a we start a petition at Change.org, at least not yet....

The writing isn't the issue.

It's like asking a guy who is tone deaf to perform Nessum Dorma or our esteemed colleague Spectre, a man so inept in a kitchen that by his own admission he could burn water, to prepare a risotto.

Evans has ALWAYS been a love him or hate him figure in the UK; I think since last night, he's rediscovering just how many people hate him. Unfortunately, he's so damn arrogant, he probably won't give a toss; also unfortunately, I can't see him changing one single bit.

Reactions: MWF
The writing will get better as the two of them interact more. I think this will solve most of the major issues.

I think the interaction is the problem. They were just so awkward together. My fear is that I expect the same with the other co-hosts (esp Harris).

I think the interaction is the problem. They were just so awkward together. My fear is that I expect the same with the other co-hosts (esp Harris).

I think Chris Harris is the most natural of the new presenters and the least cringe-worthy. I'm not by nature a "hater", but I won't be disappointed to see less of Chris Evens...

I think Chris Harris is the most natural of the new presenters and the least cringe-worthy. I'm not by nature a "hater", but I won't be disappointed to see less of Chris Evens...

The difference is, Harris has been making his own car review episodes on youtube for years. He would be the better choice to head up TG imo...

Evans is a radio host. That's really it. How do you expect a guy who spent is career on radio to change gears and be amazing for TV?

I found him annoying but let's give him a few more episodes before we judge too harshly.

Evans is a radio host. That's really it. How do you expect a guy who spent is career on radio to change gears and be amazing for TV?

Evans has had a big TV career in the UK as well, particularly as host of a show called TGI Friday back in the 90s; that too was known for being loud and obnoxious, which is pretty much Evans' default style. He's actually fairly tolerable on the BBC radio, it's on TV here that he tends to be hated the most.

I found his segments by far the most forwardable, however I agree with the fact that we should give him more of a chance. The first episode was really a hash, with no proper introduction being allowed to the presenters. Also everything seemed forced. However as far as interviews go, Chris Evans could make it more about the guests, instead of an audience interaction excercise.

I would say they need to do a car review of one of their own cars, like May did, so we could get to terms with their personality. Listing the FACTS however isn't a really good sign about one's personality...

Last edited:
Evans has had a big TV career in the UK as well, particularly as host of a show called TGI Friday back in the 90s; that too was known for being loud and obnoxious, which is pretty much Evans' default style. He's actually fairly tolerable on the BBC radio, it's on TV here that he tends to be hated the most.

That doesn't bode well for the future then. I was hoping he might be able to learn something from experience and tone his performance down so that a wide audience wouldn't be driven away.

Do I want him out?

I would very gladly march into that studio myself, pick the little shit up by the scruff of his neck, carry him out and fling him over the gate, free, no charge, in fact I will gladly pay for the privilege.

Last edited:
Thing is, BBC is committed to CE for at least the first series. If people see an improvement in his presentation skills during the audience segments, they'll keep him on for the next one; if not, they'll make noises about buying out the rest of his contract and (a) moving one of the Extra Gear folks (probably Rory) into the front role and (b) finding someone else for CE's producer credit (perhaps get Richard Porter's hopes up?).

Status
Not open for further replies.