Chris Evans - Hold or Fold?

Chris Evans - Hold or Fold?

• I want the door to hit him REALLY hard in the arse on the way out.

Votes: 146 86.9%
  • Give the guy a chance. He can't help his hair or the shape of his head.

Votes: 22 13.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the presenter interaction will improve. LeBlanc was not bad. One thing I found most annoying was how CE kept trying to stoke up the crowd like it was some sort of really cheesy game show.

The Reliant thing was a bad joke - they should have ditched that entire segment. They buy two cars, one for half the price and surprise, surprise... it can't keep up with the other one - or even drive under its own power. What was the friggin' point?

Chris Evans was a disaster and will probably be told about it by the ratings of the next episode, but even if they replaced him, which they sadly won't, this incarnation of Top Gear won't work. The main point of TG was its sometimes over-boarding Britishness. It were three blokes trying to delude themselves into believing that Britain was still a great automotive nation and I was usually sitting at home amused by that.

The fact is though, those 22 series of Top Gear are one huge TV ad for Britain. I've learned more about her Majesty's Empire through watching TG than from any other source, at that includes the language, or more precisely, the proper use of it. Nobody could teach the British humour better than May and Clarkson (and no, I don't mean the constant penis jokes)

And now what? One of the main presenters is American. Why? If I want an Americanized TG, I can watch Top Gear USA. And as much as I adore Sabine, she's not exactly British either. They've taken the very core out of TG, and that's why I think it is bound to fail.

Agreed, Great Britain was not on my radar as a 'country to visit' before TopGear, it was just some island on the other side of the sea, now I find myself interested in all things British, and holidaying there almost every year.

Simple fact of the matter is, it's too soon to declare TGCE a triumph or a disaster. The majority of international viewers (myself included) are watching *without* having a whit of CE's past work, let alone the others (I never watched Friends) and you need *time* to see how a show evolves.

For those who complain that MLB's American: so what? Sometimes the best person for a British job is someone who's not British -- especially when you're trying to reassure international buyers of your show that you're not going to foist a total gang of non-entities on them, which is what CH, RR, SS and EJ happen to be (and yes, they are, for fans of CH on Cars -- not everyone watches YouTube). Or put another way: if you can have a Canadian as the Banker of England and Katherine Ryan in the Great UK Panel Show circuit, if you can have Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie in Whose Line Is It Anyway?, you can have room for MLB on the UK's "premiere motoring show."

I have finally watched the show because I was waiting to see it with a friend.

I liked LeBlanc. I think he is both laid back and has a comic ability; I think these traits will see him clear in TG.

As for Chris Evans, I didn't hate him, but maybe if he were to take a Mogadon before filming he may calm down enough to not be over the top.

I don't like the new dirt track, although I approve in the better choice of car, though I guess it's not reasonably priced. The mixture of race track and dirt track seemed a forced marriage that didn't gel well, as well as the technical problem of dirt obscuring the camera lenses.

They still need to find their feet. This may come. Of any of them I'd say that LeBlanc is the most natural and relaxed, but Evans needs to stop trying so hard. I wonder if he's afraid of failure and is over compensating with extra energy to try and force a success. I have no idea what he's like if he's relaxed and natural.

Silly to have this poll after one show.

Sure CE forgot how to interview guests, 9m+ radio listens disagree.

Evans has ALWAYS been a love him or hate him figure in the UK; I think since last night, he's rediscovering just how many people hate him. Unfortunately, he's so damn arrogant, he probably won't give a toss; also unfortunately, I can't see him changing one single bit.

You realize that you could substitute 'Evans' for 'Clarkson' and it'd still make sense? :p

Chris Evans was a disaster and will probably be told about it by the ratings of the next episode, but even if they replaced him, which they sadly won't, this incarnation of Top Gear won't work. The main point of TG was its sometimes over-boarding Britishness. It were three blokes trying to delude themselves into believing that Britain was still a great automotive nation and I was usually sitting at home amused by that.

The fact is though, those 22 series of Top Gear are one huge TV ad for Britain. I've learned more about her Majesty's Empire through watching TG than from any other source, at that includes the language, or more precisely, the proper use of it. Nobody could teach the British humour better than May and Clarkson (and no, I don't mean the constant penis jokes)

And now what? One of the main presenters is American. Why? If I want an Americanized TG, I can watch Top Gear USA. And as much as I adore Sabine, she's not exactly British either. They've taken the very core out of TG, and that's why I think it is bound to fail.

Vehemently disagree. I'm convinced that the reason the previous version of Top Gear worked so well was because of the insanely good chemistry between the 3 presenters. They were so good at playing off one another, and you could see that - despite their claims on the show - they were actually very good friends off camera. Probably in the same way as on camera, fooling around, 'leaving each other to die', it really gives this guy friend vibe.

Their personalities and chemistry drove the show. Everything they did was not *about* them, but was seen through their eyes. They didn't mince words or hold back. That they were British and imperialist was a personality quirk, not a defining characteristic, if you ask me. Those bits were utterly amusing to me as a Dutchman, but their friendship (even if it was only on camera) was the reason i kept tuning in.

What i do have to say is that the new show needs to rediscover this. They seem to be trying to 'do it like the other 3 did', rather than let their own personalities shine through.

I'd like to see him lose his job, along with everyone else at the BBC. If they want to make a car show they should do it fairly in the free market competing against The Grand Tour. Sink or swim.

Well it took a whole 10m 47s of the show today before CE started screaming, he really is far to annoying for me to keep watching.

I think he's doing a lot better than last week. Less shouty.

Next week will probably lead me to a final decision.

A week ago it was > 90 % for Chris Evans to fold but I gave him a chance and he really has improved.

Intro Episode 2 (spoken by Evans...):

Tonight! i get even more shouty!!!
:blink::?

ok, thats it, i am done with it. please Jezza, Hamster and Slow, hurry up. i can't stand this stupid rip-off any longer.... :cry:

PS: is it just me, or are they trying to copy Top Gear Australia? Ok, the new studio reminds me of the Top Gear US first season studio. But the segments and small bits and pieces remind me alot of TGA...

Last edited:
Intro Episode 2 (spoken by Evans...):

Tonight! i get even more shouty!!!
:blink::?

ok, thats it, i am done with it. please Jezza, Hamster and Slow, hurry up. i can't stand this stupid rip-off any longer.... :cry:

PS: is it just me, or are they trying to copy Top Gear Australia? Ok, the new studio reminds me of the Top Gear US first season studio. But the segments and small bits and pieces remind me alot of TGA...

Does he not understand that the shouting is exactly what people don't like and why the ratings are dropping like a refrigerator out of a plane? Or he does understand it, but he doesn't want to believe it and thinks people will eventually like him for it?

I might get beaten by all of you for this, but i think, he shouts, because Jezza does it too.
"you've got a problem? try solving it by shouting at it."

But Jezza was entertaining when he shouts. CE is just annoying when he shouts.
I like CE as a radiohost, but i hate him as TG host.

Well done, Evans. Ruining Top Gear by shouting - and delivering continuous stupid comments.

Does he not understand that the shouting is exactly what people don't like and why the ratings are dropping like a refrigerator out of a plane? Or he does understand it, but he doesn't want to believe it and thinks people will eventually like him for it?

I've said it before somewhere: his Ego will not let him take critisism, to him, there is no critisism, it's all just 'haters' and 'fanboys' out to ruin his perfect presenting on his perfect show.

The fanboys he for some reason still has won't help either, even if it is just 5 chronicly obtuse people and a bunch of bored housewives :lol:

Last edited:
I wonder who was the idiot at the BBC who thought "Yes, this is definitely going to work!" looking at Chris Evans :lol: :lol: :lol:.

I hope not! Top Gear Australia somehow lasted all the way into Series 4, which was about 3.5 too many :sleeping:

Status
Not open for further replies.