Chris Evans [of the UK] - three-year Top Gear deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just no, I can't stand Evans so I will not be watching this new "Top Gear".

It will flop big time and be canned after the first season.

I for one am willing to give Evans a go. It could have been way worse.

Let's see who the co-presenters will be and if the Beep are willing to let them have a go at forging their own path. It won't be old New Top Gear, nothing will, but it could end up being fairly decent. Maybe even good.

Interestingly, both Clarkson and Evans reviewed the same car in their respective columns this weekend:
http://www.driving.co.uk/news/clark...s-your-favourite-seat-leon-x-perience-review/

I prefer Clarkson's version, but Evans', though somewhat harder to follow, isn't at all bad.

it will succeed because the format is perfect, but viewership will be split between the "NEW Top Gear" and "House of Cars".
Chris Evans has his audience.

My only experience of Chris Evans is from the radio interview with Clarkson recently, so my knowledge of his ability is very limited. I thought he was okay, but only okay and not particularly engaging. Maybe he grows on one after a while.

But it seems to me that the Top Gear as we knew it [built around a core concept of three eccentric men cocking about] will be gone with a new team, unless Evans can take on a role of cocking about, which is not a sense of him I had from listening to him in the interview. My suspicion is that TG is going to again become a car show like Fifth Gear; all cars and no entertainment or personalities.

I can't say that I've been impressed with how BBC management has handled the TG situation, from Go to Whoa. There have been a few mutterings from them about how JC wasn't sacked and hadn't been banned and implying he could possibly come back, but they don't seem to have made any serious moves to discuss with him an eventual return to TG after a period in the cooler.

Now they're saying that RH and JM have ruled themselves out any return to TG under any circumstances, and this is what has motivated them to talk to Chris Evans. Is that true, or is it that they wouldn't come back without Clarkson? There is a world of difference between the two concepts.

Top Gear deal set to make Chris Evans the BBC's highest-paid star
+ short video
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/17/top-gearchris-evans-bbc-pay-radio-2-graham-norton

BBC Radio 4
Media Show

Chris Evans tells Steve Hewlett about how the deal was done, and how he sees the future of Top Gear, plus the Controller of BBC 2 Kim Shillinglaw on why she thinks Chris is the best choice.
@15mins
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05y0p91

Chris Evans said March or April next year was the target air date.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
Well, at least they got a CHMW approved guy. Having said that, I am not sure this new iteration will surpass the previous one. I will watch the a few episodes before making my mind up, but my expectations are as low as the clearance of an F1 car...

I honestly don't see the appeal of Evans. He isn't funny or entertaining, he's just very busy and I can't stand busy. Also I don't think he'll do/sell well outside the UK. I don't care for TG as such, I care for the presenters who made it and they're either going to try and mimic that (and it'll be painful to watch) or they'll abandon that and go for a more normal car show in which case I'm not interested.

Interestingly, I am getting multiple emails advertising "Clarkson, May and Hammond Live" events. They have some shitty enclosed thing coming up in Sydney in the next few months. How did they get my email address? I can only think they have stolen it from BBC worldwide (Top Gear magazine) ... or bought it from them. 'Spose it doesn't really matter either way, they are instantly deleted. This whole affair (Clarkson punching and supporters ignoring) has been thoroughly distasteful. I don't give a flying fuck about Clarkson, Top Gear or any of this shit any more ... it is just dross .. detritus and the domain of idiots. Good luck to Chris Evans (and whoever they choose to support him) and good luck to Clarkson and his mates (I hope you can make something worth watching) ... but leave my fucking email box alone, you bunch of commercial spammers!!!

Fuck me, who took the jam out of your doughnut?

Massive Ginger Cnut!

Massive Ginger Cnut!

Just signed up to say how revolting this new world has become. Conservatives in gov (again). And a massive talentless ginger cnut replacing a legend, in a show which could have been saved, had the BBC had any brains.

You can look forward to that weird laugh evans has, and "cameo appearances" by the original members. Its like replacing Bruce Lee with Charlie Chan.

Hope the stig turns into a lunatic and runs evans down.

First and last post here ever.

:(

For giggles, here's my reaction to some of the stuff that has been posted:

Chris Evans has had a breakdown? Yeah, sure, but it seems to me that he has "learned the hard way" and learned quite a bit, over the years.

New Top Gear will only last a year / Chris Evans won't leave his day job? Well, there you have it. Perhaps if it succeeds, he'll finally give up the radio show.

The general sense that the new show needs to be a clean break from the past? You bet. I think Chris Evans appears to understand that quite well. Also, he certainly appears to have a great reverence for what Top Gear used to be, so I think he has a good sense of where he wants to go. Will any of us like what he comes up with? We just won't know until we can see it.

MWF's "Typical extreme lefty missing the whole point as per bloody usual"? That's what I'm getting at with Chris Evans in the paragraph above -- I think he "gets it." Whatever he comes up with, I think he has an idea of what Top Gear fans will want to see. Like him or not, at least I think he is one guy who has a grip on what worked with the CH&M Top Gear. At the least, that's the best hope I've got.

Elijah B's "My suspicion is that TG is going to again become a car show like Fifth Gear; all cars and no entertainment or personalities"? Again, that's what I'm saying above -- I think Chris Evans "gets it." How obvious can it be that Top Gear was all about the personalities of the three guys, orbiting around the subject matter of cars? Very obvious. How can Evans, or anyone else, miss that point completely? Possible, yes, but again, I sure hope that he'll move forward in that direction. I suppose we'll start beginning to know when we hear who he hires as co-presenters. I could see it wind up being a bit more like Fifth Gear, but certainly Evans has to comprehend that personalities is what Top Gear was mostly about. So, I sure think he realizes that he needs to have personalities as the biggest part of the new Top Gear -- but only time will tell whether he can pull it off very well.

And so on, yadda yadda yadda. From my limited exposure to Chris Evans, I'll agree that he was the main guy I wanted to see in a new Top Gear. So now I'll have it, and I'll see what he comes up with. That's about all I can say at this point.

Last edited:
Good. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

No chance of the door hitting my arse on the way out, your fat head is blocking it.

Anyone who welcomes ginger nut to top gear, is an apologist for lower grade television. And seeing as you "reacted" to my post, i think that speaks volumes. Enjoy your new ginger friend.

The only one here with a fat head is you, dismissing the whole thing before you've seen it and had a chance to make an informed judgement based on actual facts.

I was all excited when I heard that Captain America was the new host of Top Gear. Turns out it was the wrong Chris Evans. Oh well! :mrgreen:

I think the show can live on and maybe the new trio will be a success, but I won't be watching. In my mind Top Gear is dead and there is no coming back from what happened without Jezza, James and Richard.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-gear-james-reveals-axed-5897871

Apparently James May and Hammond weren't even asked to return, It seems ironic that Jeremy Clarkson should choose not to return because of someone at the BBC flapping his mouth and saying something he shouldn't have said.
Guess we'll just have to hope that Chris Evan's Top Gear hosted by himself and a bunch of nobodies will actually be good.
Or that the other hosts will make a Netflix program which is also about cars.

Oddly, I just got done watching the season 6 TG episode with him as the star - so unbelievably boring. I also watched the whole TGI Friday revival episode as well, this guy clearly belongs on the radio, no idea how he managed to be one of the richest presenters in the UK. And what are they talking about when they say he knows about cars? He doesn't know anything about them. I'll definitely give this a shot, but oh boy, I already can tell it's gonna crash and burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.