Chris Evans quits the show

Wow, such bile towards a guy that stepped into an unwinnable scenario. I think you all need to get hobbies or step out into the light.

We're all doing is as satire right?....right?

Personally, I think it isn't so much the unwinnable scenario as it's the fact that he didn't know how to work with it. There was always going to be a viewership hit, but with the "I GET EVEN LOUDER!" on episode two and the way he reacted when the viewership figures kept going down he did nothing to earn the goodwill of the people that were left. He's still well liked on his Radio show and other endeavors, so I think what we're seeing is him hitting the Peter Principle

I'm glad Evans has done the decent thing, though I wonder if it's all his own decision, or if it was suggested that maybe he should think about going...either way, good riddance to him.

Now, I would keep Joey in the forefront, supported by Chris Harris and Rory Reid, and have Sabine doing the power laps instead of the Stig. Jordan can feck off.

...or, I'd quietly bin the entire thing.

We're all doing is as satire right?....right?

Personally, I think it isn't so much the unwinnable scenario as it's the fact that he didn't know how to work with it. There was always going to be a viewership hit, but with the "I GET EVEN LOUDER!" on episode two and the way he reacted when the viewership figures kept going down he did nothing to earn the goodwill of the people that were left. He's still well liked on his Radio show and other endeavors, so I think what we're seeing is him hitting the Peter Principle

I don't like that, it makes the audience sound like whinny little bitches. He read the criticism and he made a joke out of it, I liked that. Clarkson did stuff like that all the time, it was funny I mean you'd think the Top Gear audience would have a sense of humour but I guess not.

He also had a habit of exposing his genitals in company meetings... for decades.

Episode 6 was SO enjoyable. Great reviews from Harris, Reid and leBlanc, almost no Evans, zero Schmitz or that other clown Jordan. Only the star segment was too long again. This is the way to go guys.... Harris, Reid, Le Blanc. That's it. Stick to these three and cut the star segment down and you got a great show.

Chris Evans quits the show

Last edited:
I'm so glad to hear this. I really hated his presentation style, sense of "humor", all of it. I'll be giving the new show a good long chance to get good.

Personally, I would love to see Matt, Chris Harris, and either Rory or Sabine (maybe both? but I would worry that would be too "busy") do a show somewhat more like the CMH versions. Not a clone by any means; but I would like to see more challenges and the like. I really love the cheap-car challenges and vehicle modification sections, for example. Give them a chance to really interact and get to know each other and hopefully form something like the bond CMH developed (which certainly *seems* real - if it is fake they are far better actors than I give them credit for).

I'm not sure how I stand on Eddy. I don't really want to see him go. I think there might be something interesting there. I just don't know if the show needs 5 presenters (or even 4, really) and of the 5 remaining he has so far been my least-favorite.

Transplant a personality into lebland and they may have something.

I think Matt's going to get good. Improved a lot over the first 6 episodes (really liked his Porsche segment in the last one). I don't know if he was just extremely uncomfortable with Evans, as has been suggested, or if he was trying to channel British deadpan, but I think there is a lot of potential there. I have a feeling if the presenters can gel over the next couple of seasons that Matt will be extremely good (I actually like British deadpan humor a lot, so I don't necessarily mind if he keeps it a bit subdued...)

Episode 6 was SO enjoyable. Great reviews from Harris, Reid and leBlanc, almost no Evans, zero Schmitz or that other clown Jordan. Only the star segment was too long again. This is the way to go guys.... Harris, Reid, Le Blanc. That's it. Stick to these three and cut the star segment down and you got a great show.

The thing is: If you are interested in car reviews, you can find loads of better channels on YouTube. Some of them make reviews of cars that are an hour long!

I don't need a show called "Top Gear" to tell me how a car drives, I have other sources for that. And more of them. I can only speak for myself but I always watched Top Gear because of Clarkson, Hammond and May. With them gone, Top Gear doesn't exist for me anymore.

Quits or Fired? Sounds more like he was given an ultimatum and no choice but to step down.

Where's all his FACT gloating now ??

The thing which separates TG from the Youtube channels is their enormous budget and the editing quality which doesn't seem to have gone down even with Wilman gone.

If we just have hot cars in exotic locales with a bit of humour and some challenges/races, I'll be happy. It will never be same as old TG but TGT is not far away.

I like Sabine and Eddie Jordan so I don't want them to go, I think Eddie was under utilised in the series and Sabine I think is good to have around. It's better that they try and aim for a new dynamic then try and replicate the old 3 person team. Without the Evans the show will be less top heavy and there will be more room for them to work with. Maybe they could have Jordan, Harris and Matt on the main show with the other 2 to fill in for certain things and Sabine and Rory could run Extra Gear in a longer show.

We're never going to agree on Eddie, I can't stand the guy and don't want him anywhere near the show. Going into the series I was more fed up about him being there than Evans tbh, but thankfully for me we saw not much of him.

As I said I like Sabine but her sometimes thick accent counts against her and what is the point of having a racing driver on there if there's virtually nothing for them to do?

Button is a very funny guy for a racing driver but getting him on there is probably just a pipe dream. Would have been a nice change of direction to have someone like him (or maybe Sabine) do their own power laps, the Stig is virtually restricted to one lap per show now and is almost invisible, maybe it is time to let him go (although he probably makes plenty of cash for the BBC)?

Perhaps a more equal 4 person team might be the way to go, it also gives greater possibilities to pair them off in challenges and stuff.

Last edited:
Wow, such bile towards a guy that stepped into an unwinnable scenario. I think you all need to get hobbies or step out into the light.

Everyone knew this was going to be the result - what do you expect?

I said over a year ago to anyone who would listen - The BBC made a mistake in immediately trying to replace CHM. They should have let the Top Gear show (and brand) rest for a year or two, or three, let people calm down, chill out. Then they could shop around for a new format for the show with much less pressure, and only revive the show if someone comes up with a format that takes the show forward.

BBC got greedy and wanted the impossible - attempting to capture lightning in a bottle twice in a row - immediately after releasing the seal on the first bottle.

The problem with Chris Evans is for many years he's been a very divisive character to us brits, and we either love him or hate him, there's not much inbetween. From the moment he was announced a huge proportion of people said this was a terrible fit that isn't going to work, and so it has proved right.

The fact that LeBlanc, Reid and Harris have been broadly praised by the same people who criticised Evans tells you the scenario was winnable but the wrong person was chosen to lead the change, and a lot of people knew it.