Chris Evans quits the show

Now that the evil is gone, what will the BBC do???

The obvious thing to do, is to keep LeBlank, Harris and Reid as main presenter, I don?t know what to do with the other two. Now, with the three of them doing good reviews the show will just be like Fifth Gear. I don?t see the X factor that CHM used to have.

By the way, I don?t like Le Blanc as a presenter, it too obvious that he just says his lines by heart and don?t take into account that he is in front of an audience.

Cheers

Evans had no background in racing or automotive journalism anyway. He was dead weight.

And he was shouty arsehole:).

Has been writing a car column in the DM for years, listen to some of his radio chats with Jezza, he more than holds his own. Also has his own version of TG live called Car Fest, whis usually booked out in advance. Makes millions wheeling and dealing in the classic car market.

From what they have learnt on this series its shame they can't put it into practice n the next series.

Question is now who will become the lead presenter. BBC might look internally for an experienced steady pair of hands like Paul Hollywood or James Martin who always get a good audience.

Or how about EJ as the main presenter?

Last edited:
Now that the evil is gone, what will the BBC do???

The obvious thing to do, is to keep LeBlank, Harris and Reid as main presenter, I don?t know what to do with the other two. Now, with the three of them doing good reviews the show will just be like Fifth Gear. I don?t see the X factor that CHM used to have.

By the way, I don?t like Le Blanc as a presenter, it too obvious that he just says his lines by heart and don?t take into account that he is in front of an audience.

Cheers

One thing that this new series has suffered with for ALL the presenters is for a lot of the time it sounds too obvious they are reading lines from a script. Most of it does not sound like natural or spontaneous talk. That is something CHM are very good at, you know their stuff was mostly scripted as well but it didn't come across that way.

One thing that this new series has suffered with for ALL the presenters is for a lot of the time it sounds too obvious they are reading lines from a script. Most of it does not sound like natural or spontaneous talk. That is something CHM are very good at, you know their stuff was mostly scripted as well but it didn't come across that way.

Lets hope the audience give them a chance to learn how to do the show.

When I saw the final scene on TG#6 and all the cast were on screen I thought it looked strange that CE was behind all the others; they formed a single line across the screen but CE looked like he was already not a part of what was going on. When I saw that I thought he looked like he was on his way out.

This is all my thoughts, which I know aren't worth two shakes of nothing and people won't agree. One of the things about CH&M was they were all very quick at being witty; even May, who has a more measured delivery. So they all could pick up on a line and ad lib and be sarcastic and turn out something funny on the spot. And even though much was scripted, it's obvious that much as spontaneous. This is what TG needs: people who can do that; people with idiosyncratic personalities.

I have nothing against Matt. I actually like him. He seems to be an easy going guy and owns the dry humor that goes with a phlegmatic personality. Whether he has the quick wit that could emerge from the shade if he's not feeling unhappy because of working with CE remains to be seen. If he becomes more happy in his work he might perk up and spark.

And I still think Jennifer Saunders would be a good choice to have on board. But aside from her they need someone who is a word smith, can work with other people as a team player, and is passionate about cars so that the viewer doesn't feel like we are watching a generic show pony presenter that television breeds by the bucketful; lots of artificial enthusiasm but damn little personality.

Rory got into this all through the public, I don't see a reason why they couldn't do that again. I'd be happy to have Rory, Harris and some "unknown but tested" person take the reign. Perhaps get Jonny Smith into this. Those 3 would represent the younger guard and be able to take TG into a completely different direction.

Each of those 3 is genuine, they have their own vision and opinions and that really is what we want. Just like how racing drivers are "bland" to a point where you can replace them with a silent Stig: most motoring journalists are also bland. I want someone with opinions and I don't even need them to be the same as mine, I want them to care.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;QNCM8IjtQ-o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCM8IjtQ-o[/video]

WOW...... just WOW! :blink:
He quit without shouting. :shock:

To be honest, i like Chris Evans on the radio. But as shouting host on TG, no. :puke:

I hope, Rory will become the main host with Chris Harris & Matt LeBlanc as Co-presenter.
Sabine and Eddie can be there as regular guest presenters.

Rory should be the main presenter. he does a very good job on Extra Gear and his tests are great.
Chris Harris lacks in "sanity" to be main presenter, but he is amazing in his tests. so, he is best as co-presenter.
Matt Leblanc is still a bit "stiff" and quiet as presenter, but he got alot better compared to episode 1&2. so, he is best as co-presenter.
Eddie is entertaining as "comic relief", but he is much to "wooden" in front of an audience. best use is guest presenter every other episode.
Sabine is ok, but her english really sucks. she wasn't funny on D-Motor on german DMAX and she isn't funny on TG. Let her test cars as guest presenter every other episode. alternate between her and Eddie.

This should be the way to go for the BBC with TG. Everything else is doomed to fail like the Evans debacle.

Last edited:
@Elijah B. I agree 100% so thanks for saving me the typing.

As a token of my appreciation, here's a palindrome I was reminded of recently -- treat it with caution!
SatanoscillatemymetallicsonataS

As for Evans? It's probably for the best :D

This is the best Top Gear news I've heard yet. Though, I sure don't want them to stop with Evans -- get rid of Sabine and Eddie, too. LOOK, IT IS THIS SIMPLE: Find people who can talk like natural human beings, instead of frozen-solid wooden mannequins who can only stand there reading from a teleprompter. Then, FIRE ALL OF THE MORONS who have written the drivel that these statues have had to try to speak. And most of all, get rid of ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY who thought that the "stars" segments were worth putting on television.

So, it doesn't have to be a total thermonuclear destruction -- only about 90% of the show needs to be burned to the ground and started over from scratch again.

This is the best Top Gear news I've heard yet. Though, I sure don't want them to stop with Evans -- get rid of Sabine and Eddie, too. LOOK, IT IS THIS SIMPLE: Find people who can talk like natural human beings, instead of frozen-solid wooden mannequins who can only stand there reading from a teleprompter. Then, FIRE ALL OF THE MORONS who have written the drivel that these statues have had to try to speak. And most of all, get rid of ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY who thought that the "stars" segments were worth putting on television.

So, it doesn't have to be a total thermonuclear destruction -- only about 90% of the show needs to be burned to the ground and started over from scratch again.

Eddie's gig needs to be terminated with extreme prejudice, especially because of his remarks defending Evans. Sabine should be kept, but as a 'guest presenter' doing occasional parts only. The problem (from my point of view) isn't her skills or her presentation but her heavy accent. It doesn't work for a nonfictional British show; it's a shame because she really is an articulate, more than competent woman who is clearly a gearhead - and not the classic "clueless woman assigned to a motoring show for tolerance/diversity/PC/eyecandy reasons."

Last edited:
I said over a year ago to anyone who would listen - The BBC made a mistake in immediately trying to replace CHM. They should have let the Top Gear show (and brand) rest for a year or two, or three, let people calm down, chill out. Then they could shop around for a new format for the show with much less pressure, and only revive the show if someone comes up with a format that takes the show forward.

BBC got greedy and wanted the impossible - attempting to capture lightning in a bottle twice in a row - immediately after releasing the seal on the first bottle.

Or maybe it was due to some existing contracts, who knows, that they had no option but to go forward.

Anyway, I sort of liked the new show towards the end of the season - except for the stars part, I've never liked that - and I think it can only grow better with CE gone. It will still not be a match for CHM and it should not be, there's plenty of room for a show positioned somewhere between CHM and dead-serious, boring car shows.

Sabine should be kept, but as a 'guest presenter' doing occasional parts only. The problem (from my point of view) isn't her skills or her presentation but her heavy accent. It doesn't work for a nonfictional British show; it's a shame because she really is an articulate, more than competent woman who is clearly a gearhead - and not the classic "clueless woman assigned to a motoring show for tolerance/diversity/PC/eyecandy reasons."

My problem with Sabine is, once again, "the script" she has had to read. I virtually haven't heard her talk at any point during the season when she sounded like "a normal human being" having a normal conversation. She is probably the worst of the wooden statues reading moronic scripts on the show. Yes, she's a good driver, yes, we've seen her do a "fun" job in the old Top Gear, but she just doesn't work as a Top Gear presenter. Big-time.

And Eddie has been a special case of awful. He has GOT to go.

Not surprised. He just didn't work at all. Can he take Eddie with him?

The other 4 can do the show just fine.

They should get rid of LeBland unless he can:

- Talk using a proper british accent
- Be natural when talking, not sound like he is reading off a cue card
- Be better at talking while driving

Let MLB go and get Martin Brundle instead!

Well well well, a few episodes in and the new Top Gear is already self destructing, my goodness. Rest In Peace.

Oh well then I will wait for Clarkson's new show on Amazon, hope it won't suck.

<----- JC's reaction....

Last edited:
Good riddance. No more shouting, no more finger nail chewing, no more ear picking, no more... Chris Evans!