Christmas food!

teeb

Car(s)
old Saab 9-3 coup?
It's almost December, which means it's time to almost start thinking about Christmas cookings. I was wondering : are there certain foods that you make for Christmas (outside the obvious turkey!) ? Some recipes you associate with Xmas?

Anyway, I thought I would share a recipe I use for ginger biscuits (or lebkuchen, in German). They can be baked in whatever shape you want, and will hang on your tree for up to a week.

250g plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa, or rye flour, or simply more plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
150g unsalted butter
3 tsp each ground ginger and cinnamon
1/2 tsp each ground cloves and nutmeg
100g Muscovado or molasses sugar
25g runny honey or golden syrup
1 large egg

Sift the flour, cocoa (or extra flour) baking powder and salt into a bowl. In a saucepan melt the butter in a pan with the spices then add the muscovado sugar and honey. Any lumps of sugar should break up in the warmth when squashed with a spoon.

Remove from the heat, leave to cool for 2 - 3 minutes then beat in the egg. Stir this in with the flour and mix everything to a soft smooth dough. Wrap the dough in waxed paper or clingfilm and chill or freeze until required.

To bake them let the dough soften at room temperature, then roll on a floured surface and cut into shapes with a hole for a ribbon if you need one. Heat the oven to 180?C (160?C fan), lift the shapes carefully with a spatula and place on a tray lined with non-stick baking parchment and bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Leave to cool on the tray then decorate with thick royal icing.

Thanks to the Guardian food blog where I found it. Here's mine :

http://img442.imageshack.**/img442/2262/gingerdr5.jpg

Yes, it looks a bit like a turd. Tasty, though.

So, you got any Christmas treats to share?

I hate turkey.

I do like lebkuchen, though. One of my favourites on Christmas day is big prawns with wasabi mayonnaise (you know, Aussie hot summer Christmas and all). This is my family's spread last year:

3068207770_e235f9af6f_o.jpg

We have the obligatory ham and turkey, smoked salmon, a fig and pancetta salad type thing up the back, the prawns, some type of antipasto, baked sweet and regular potatoes, and stuffing. Oh and some sort of rice dish in the pumpkin I think.

Shit, that's a busy table cloth. Food looks soooooo good though. I have to say I'm really traditional, I love my turkey on Christmas day and would do my best to cause a fuss if I coudln't have it for some reason (not including bird flu).

I can't stop looking at that picture. It's 2:30am and I'm thinking about food already!

It's not even december yet! "When I was a kid, Halloween was Halloween and Santa wasn't poking his ASS into it!"

it IS december now, can we do it now mr IceBone policeman?

No. :mad: Is it too hard for you people to wait until actual christmas to start christmas shit? :rolleyes:

And foreplay is always about 30x the length of the main event? Usually the ratio is opposite for me and I haven't had any complaints.

^ :lol: I was just about to post that

Ice ->
smiley_emoticons_schneeballwerfen.gif
<- me

smiley_emoticons_xmas4_langenase2.gif

don-knotts1.jpg

Christmas starts for me when the family tree farm opens for business, so the Friday after the American Thanksgiving.

It's close enough!
Sonia is planning to make all sorts of food for the Christmastime; I try to take pics and post photos. She may also make Scandinavian sweets like butter cookies, lefsa and krumkaka, just to appease my family (my mother is AWESOME at krumkaka and lefsa!) :D

Sonia is planning to make all sorts of food for the Christmastime; I try to take pics and post photos. She may also make Scandinavian sweets like butter cookies, lefsa and krumkaka, just to appease my family (my mother is AWESOME at krumkaka and lefsa!) :D

:eek:

My christmas dinner:
chinese_food_box.jpg

Such is the life of a Jew.

?bleskiver :D Just bought 250 for the last taekwondo training this year, and some gl?gg and pebern?dder (<-- the pic doesn't look right though).

From Wikipedia: "?bleskiver are cooked on the stove top by baking in a special pan w?th several hemi-spherical indentations in the bottom of the pan. The pan exists in versions for fart and electrical stoves (the latter with a plain bottom). "

Okay, what the hell is a "fart stove"??? :lol: :blink: