Chrysler to revive classic logo to celebrate freedom from Daimler!

Man that penta-star is just nothing but bad memories for me...

I think, as long as they keep it a logo that is 5 triangles, where the "pentastar" is in the negative space, rather than like mercedes where their three-pointed-star is what is drawn, I think it could at least look alright. However, the logo looks good on some of their cars in a way I don't think the pentastar could. Could you imagine it in the front of a 300C? A Seabring (*shudders*...sorry...I do that whenever I say or see that car)?

I couldn't agree more... the GM logo is especially hideous... good thing you don't see it on many cars.

The Pentastar is one of the ugliest logos, second only to GM's "blue box"

I think ford had a good idea in the Escape Hybrid commercial, featuring Kermit the Frog. For their hybrids, rather than having "Hybrid" badges, they should just make the ford logos green, rather than blue. I thought the logo looked nice when they did it in the commercial.

I couldn't agree more... the GM logo is especially hideous... good thing you don't see it on many cars.

Unfortunatly, now were are. On the lower fender/wing, they are putting small GM badges on tons of cars.

Por ejemplo:

http://img388.imageshack.**/img388/5134/untitled123456432qe5.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.**/img504/4415/escaladeesvlogodn4.jpg

Eww, that's gross. I'm surprised even jetsetter can defend such an ugly logo... but then again his allegiance does seem somewhat blind, no offense.

Eww, that's gross. I'm surprised even jetsetter can defend such an ugly logo... but then again his allegiance does seem somewhat blind, no offense.

Looks are subjective.;) As for my allegiance, I believe most are overly critical.

You show me the logos you like and I will tell you if they are ugly or not. Of course this will be my opinion and because of this I will be neither right or wrong.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ferrari, Porsche, Aston, BMW all have nice looking logos in my opinion. The GM logo, ugliness aside, is just 'GM' with a line under it in a blue box. The text isn't even stylized... it's hideous.

Beauty is subjective, ugliness is not.

Beauty is subjective, ugliness is not.

On the contrary, ugliness is quite subjective.

On the contrary, ugliness is quite subjective.

Toyota is even using this fact in their advertising of the new xB.
gog-xb-m.jpg

There's another one that says:
CONS: FUGLY, PEOPLE WILL STARE.
PROS: FUGLY, PEOPLE WILL STARE.

There's another one that says:
CONS: FUGLY, PEOPLE WILL STARE.
PROS: FUGLY, PEOPLE WILL STARE.

Very true. I think Shawn will agree with me when I say the GM logo is not just ugly, but also boring.... And that's a terrible thing to be.

Yes? One can't be wrong in their opinion of aesthetics.
No shit. Hence the :roll:, because I find it strange that you feel the need to state the obvious in lieu of a valid rebuttal. Then again, even though it was for an argument that never existed, you don't need to take it so personally that just because some (including me) think the GM logo is hideous, that it's an affront to all GM/domestic products in general.

Besides, what's wrong with the current one? It dates back to the logo they used in 1925, and it's far better than the Pentastar which was only introduced in 1964 to replace Virgil Exner's "Forward Look" series. (That's right, I did my homework.) If anything, I think the current winged ribbon logo is classy and elegant, and a complete 180 from some of the crap Chrysler churns out today such as the Sebring. But that's another issue for another day. ;)

I hope they can just find a way to subtly modernize it like what Nissan did with their famous hamburger:
nissan_logo.gif

(old)

Nissan.jpg

(new)

The Pentastar most likely conjures memories of Chrysler's darkest days, so why would they remind the American population of stuff like the K-Car? And countless other Yank tanks?
01.jpg

I would like to see them bring back the Fratzog in some way.

150px-Fratzog.jpg

Fratzog was the name of the emblem used by Chrysler Corporation's Dodge Division from 1962 though 1976. It was composed of three 3-pointed stars forming a larger 3-pointed star. When Dodge stylists designed it in the early 1960s, they had to have a name for it, and one of the designers came up with the meaningless name 'Fratzog', which ultimately stuck.

As the Dodge Division's logo, Fratzog was incorporated in various badges and emblems on Dodge vehicles. It was also integrated into the design of such parts as steering wheel center hubs and road wheel covers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fratzog

When you see it on muscle cars it just works.

Hence the , because I find it strange that you feel the need to state the obvious in lieu of a valid rebuttal.

Some seem to forget (not talking about you).

:lol:, that three-pointed star would be ironic if they brought it back to celebrate their independence from another three-pointed star. :D

I've never seen that logo before though, looks like something out of Star Trek! "Fratzog" sounds like a band also. Got any pictures of cars with Fratzogs on them? Google turned up nothing.

Here is a photo from a car show I went to a few months back.

http://img201.imageshack.**/img201/7218/carshow058co2.jpg

Here is the front of the car if you are interested.

http://img201.imageshack.**/img201/8655/carshow057gz0.jpg

On a side note, this car is one of the reasons I like chrome. Just look at the sides and the read, it is a work of art. Details like these are what many modern cars are missing.

Last edited:
On a side note, this car is one of the reasons I like chrome. Just look at the sides and the read, it is a work of art. Details like these are what many modern cars are missing.
Is that a '63 Dodge Polara? Funny, I was looking at '61s last night for no particular reason:
Garlick2.jpg

Garlick5.jpg

That rear end is magnificent!

I agree with you that chrome back in the 50s and 60s transformed cars from mere consumer products into fantastical works of art, brazenly optimistic visions of the future from bold designers who weren't going to make any apologies about their creations. I don't think that Polara is a good example, though, at least not as good as these:
wrighton11.jpg

57_r_frt.jpg

wrighton7.jpg

(and my personal favorite)
175719073.jpg

You get the idea. 8)