Game: Civilization VI (coming Oct 21st 2016)

Jupix

Next installation of Civilization:
  • New (non-stacked) way to build Cities, with Districts, which forces specialization and adapting the city to environment
  • New approach to policies
  • More default features (a lot of stuff vanilla that used to be delivered in expansions, such as religion)
  • More complex AI player personalities
  • More complex diplomacy system
  • "Ground-up" rebuilt game engine
  • Military units can be combined into Corps / Armies that get strength bonuses
  • Research (emphasis, speed) is tied to environment instead of a "good standard build order"
  • Revised victory conditions
  • Better mod support

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05...ts-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/ (preorder, 59,99? normal / 79,99? deluxe with soundtrack and some DLC)

I'll be preordering in October. Civilization is an auto-buy to me since Civ IV.

GerFix

Car(s)
Jaguar XKR, BMW E92 M3, MG TF, Riv 4000
Civaholic here .... the wait will not be easy, but I do hope the graphics flavor of the final product is a little less cartoonish than indicated in the screen shots released so far. There is one showing a Samurai unit that looks more like a traveling troupe of circus performers.

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
I like the army idea. Never quite understood the idea behind the "1 unit per hexagon".

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
I like the army idea. Never quite understood the idea behind the "1 unit per hexagon".

The idea was to eliminate stacks of death. It is one of the reasons I can't play anything before V now.

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
The idea was to eliminate stacks of death. It is one of the reasons I can't play anything before V now.

You fight stacks of death with stacks of death of your own... besides wasn't there shared damage before Civ V? if you catapult a square with 5 units, all of them take damage? it's a double edged sword.

Jupix

I believe the decision to flatten the armies was based on the idea that moving just a single deathstar around the map removes all the strategy involving positioning, terrain features, chokepoints, range, weaknesses (unit type or hitpoints), and other such things.

To be honest I disliked the huge military stacks too and I think the franchise is better off with more horizontal armies. Also I believe the decision was one of the more popular changes in Civ V.

And it's not like they're reverting back to the old system, they're just making it so that you can merge 2-3 units into a 1-2 tiers more powerful unit, thereby reducing the total number of distinct units.

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
As Jupix said, Civ 5 makes the terrain a much more important issue. I've managed to just fight off deadly hordes due to my neighbors' inability to cross through a six hex mountain pass easily.

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
Well I like more realism. I dont get why an archer would occupy the same space as a tank (or be able to kill it for that matter). 2-3 army stacks sound like a good compromise.

GerFix

Car(s)
Jaguar XKR, BMW E92 M3, MG TF, Riv 4000
I am a fan of the one unit per hex (bought in with V) and think it is more realistic than the stack of doom, as it brings greater importance to tactics like flanking (you have to actually think about how best to position your forces). I don't think it is particularly realistic to have 50 cavalry (or whatever) on a single tile and not have them impeded by overcrowding.

Jupix

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...be-composed-by-grammy-winning-christopher-tin

The Civilization 6 theme will be composed by Christopher Tin, the only composer to receive a Grammy award for a video game soundtrack.

Baba Yetu, the theme for Civilization 4, won a Grammy award in 2011 for 'Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)'. It's really good. Give it a listen.

His next theme, entitled 'Sogno di Volare' (The Dream of Flight), will debut at a performance next week at the Cadogan Hall in London, prior to the release of Civ 6 in October.

"I wanted to write a piece that captured the essence of exploration", said Tin, "both the physical exploration of seeking new lands, but also the mental exploration of expanding the frontiers of science and philosophy."

Fun Christopher Tin fact: he met Soren Johnson, the lead designer on Civilization 4, back when they studied together at Stanford. They were roommates!

They couldn't have made a better choice. I've bought 2 albums of his since I originally heard Baba Yetu and everything he composes fits like in glove into Civ. I hope he gets another grammy :)

Jupix

More good news:

AMD teams with developer Firaxis working on DirectX 12 supporting Civilzation VI. The impending game will use asynchronous use compute and offer support for multiple GPUs using explicit multi-adapter.

Civilization VI will be able to use more than one video card, without being identical GPUs in an SLI or crossfire lineup. This makes it possible to combine the processing power of multiple GPUs. This can for example also be a combination of an AMD-GPU and Nvidia video card, or a combination of a graphics card with the integrated GPU of a processor. Furthermore, the game gets a built-in benchmark tool that performance graphics cards can be measured.

The game will support asynchronous compute. That is a function of DirectX 12 which makes it possible to handle various commands parallel by the video card which is good enws for the Radeon graphics cards.

AMD has worked with developer Firaxis and publisher 2K Games with DirectX 11.1 support for Civ V and integration of the Mantle-api in Civilization: Beyond Earth. Civ VI is relased on the 21rd of October.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/civilization-vi-will-get-dx12-support-and-asynchronous-compute.html

Jupix

So the game is out and I've been playing about 70 turns. So far so good. Excellent perfomance, no problems, lots of configuration options. Looks pretty good, although it's not a huge graphical leap forward from Civ 5.

Game seems a bit more balanced in how it flows. Units are slower moving through difficult terrain while doing stuff gives research boosts to relevant technologies. Building stuff seems to involve more thought and strategy than before, due to both the district system and certain buildings/wonders being locked behind more obscure things than in Civ 5.

Jupix

Way too early to say anything about that yet, but so far it hasn't struck me as anything special (-ly bad or -ly good).

One of the civs in my game was very aggressive and couldn't really back it up with her military. She tried to settle on the other side of my civ (across the continent) away from her own civ. It ended with her loss on the spot because she then had a war on 2 fronts (which I could easily do but she couldn't). Also she was placing units all over the place where I could easily pick them off. I was also able to eat one of her settlers because it was unguarded during a war. I guess a really good AI would do none of these mistakes.

Then again I'm playing my first game on a pretty easy difficulty (Prince IIRC) so maybe it's programmed to open itself up by mistakes every now and then.

Furthermore, the AIs seem to be making some comments and demands ("your units are way too close to my borders") a little bit too frequently/sensitively. The greeks just made that demand when I only had 1 horseman scouting his borders. It's been happening throughout my first game.