Clamping the Clampers

HondaF1

Aussie Bastard
Car(s)
First Aberdeen Bus Network
Motorist gets his own back on clampers

A FURIOUS Midland victim of a wheelclamping firm cheekily turned the tables on them - and clamped one of their own vehicles!

Angry Glyn Roberts took action when clampers struck after he was forced to park his Peugeot 407 and Coachman touring caravan in a spot reserved for lorries at a motorway services.

The 51-year-old, from Walsall, was dismayed when his car was targeted as he and wife Sharon, aged 49, were sitting in the caravan eating sandwiches.

The engineer then struck a blow for victims everywhere when he fixed his own clamp on to the van of the parking firm at Cullompton Services on the M5 motorway at Junction 28, in Devon, on his way home from a holiday in Cornwall last Friday.

A stand-off, surrounded by cheering motorists, then took place.

Eventually police arrived and Mr Roberts, fearing arrest, relented and took off his own clamp before paying the ?130 fee to release his car.

Mr Roberts said: "I have no regrets whatsoever about what I did. I wish it had got to a stalemate where it would lead to one party saying to the other that 'if you release me, I'll release you!'

"When we got there, there was a sign in the road which appeared to be guiding the different types of vehicles to the right spots, but this was partially obscured.

"When I drove to the caravan area, there were only around seven spots and all of them were taken.

"Normally, caravans would park in areas reserved for HGVs so I went there and parked up.

"I went into the shop and bought some water and returned to the van, where we started having some food.

"We were only there about 20 minutes when two men jumped out of a van and clamped the car.

"I was furious and got out to argue but one of the men pointed to another sign in another part of the car park, which was slightly obscured and mostly written in small print, warning that wheel-clamping was in operation.

"They had also clamped another caravan user who apparently had got permission from the manager of the service station leave her van there.

"Both of us were arguing with them but, while that was going on, I saw the opportunity to get my own clamp, which I use to secure the caravan, and fix it to their van.

"They were not happy and said they would call the police. But a crowd had developed and most of them cheered me and started taking pictures on their phones and shaking my hand.

"It seemed a good idea at the time. The police came and I was worried about being arrested and leaving Sharon there alone so I took my clamp off their van and paid the ?130 release fee."

A spokesman for clamping firm Able Parking Services Ltd said: "We followed correct procedures and will not comment on individual cases."

Cullompton Services declined to comment.

The law states that, as the service station is classed as private land, Mr Roberts would not actually have been arrested for clamping the van.

But Mr Roberts added that he may be able to reclaim his ?130 after all.

He said: "I have been told that, as the sign warning motorists of the clampers was more than three car lengths from my vehicle, I may be able to reclaim my money.

"I've got in touch with a solicitor who deals with these cases and he is looking into it."

]Source

Shame he didnt keep the stand off going!!

I can see why the wheel clamping thing isn't a private industry in the US. There'd be reports all over the news about A) clampers being shot or B) being beaten to a bloody pulp.

Though in that case I think their van would have just ended up with a few slashed tires ;)

He should not have backed down and stated that the fee for release was twice what ever the other lot charged.

In the situation I can understand him backing down - but he still gets massive kudos from me - top work Mr. Roberts, I e-shake your hand.

Good on him for sticking it to the man.

I can honestly say I've never seen a car clamped in Melbourne, I don't even know who does them! Maybe the council??

I love this. Always carry something to remove the clamp, or another clamp. I'd go to Britain, buy a ?100 car, a ?*** clamp, wait until the clampers clamped it, clamped their car and run away.

That would be a great feeling.

motivator9872690.jpg

Just had to whip this up. I have a lot of respect for this guy, now.

I can see why the wheel clamping thing isn't a private industry in the US. There'd be reports all over the news about A) clampers being shot or B) being beaten to a bloody pulp.

Or just have a 600 watt inverter and a portable plasma cutter in your trunk ;)

I would love to be rich and eccentric enough to drive around with a trunk full of clamps just to slap one on any clamper I see - and then drive away.

I'd love to see a clamper van parked badly. I'd clamp it. Sort of vigilante clamping. :D

...or set it on FIRE!

<-- hates clampers

There is another way to get your revenge on clampers...

Drive an off-roader with tires too large to get the clamp on.

Get a tank, they're not subject to the London congestion charge.

Beat that!

I would park it across three spaces in a clamping area and leave a note taped to the side: "Clamp me, I dare you!"

"The canon is loaded, and you never know if I'm in here" :p

Hell, I would just park the tank on the clamper's vehicle.