Clarkson: Clarkson admits he drove at 186mph on public road

Of all the newspapers that could have been left lying around in the pub for me to see this story in, the Daily Mail, as mentioned above, was clearly the worst of the lot.

Their version of the story tells us that Jezza admitted to doing 186 mph in the Veyron in the Limehouse Link tunnel, and it doesn't take too many brain cells to call bullshit on that one immediately.

The Limehouse Link tunnel is:

(1) In central London, where the chances of getting a clear run through the tunnel are almost zero.
(2) Patrolled by a whole battery of speed cameras (modified Gatsos according to some sources, modified SPECS according to others - I'm not risking a trip through the tunnel to find out) so if the story really was true Jezza would be staring down the barrel of a jail term.
(3) Not straight! It's a series of bends in which I severely doubt a Formula 1 car could do 186 mph in, even on proper slick tyres and at maximum downforce.

But, as has been said, this is the Daily Mail. Why let facts get in the way of a sensational story that they can apply their own hard-right political spin to?

They've been sticking the boot into Jezza's arch rival, as well. Bill Oddie has come under fire for peppering Springwatch with innuendo-laden commentary. I can just see it now, cobbled together from the letters page:

"Dear Daily Mail, I am outraged... (right-wing waffle)... won't let my ten-year-old daughter, Janet, watch this filth... (boring references to Mary Whitehouse)... Mr Oddie must be sacked immediately... (bilge about the decline of caning in schools)... ZIS VOULD HAF NEVER HAPPENED UNDER ZE NAZIS! Yours, Disgusted of Royal Tunbridge Wells."

^ :rofl:

Yeah this is complete BS. When I read the number "186" I could tell it was BS. No-one is that specific when telling the truth, it's always some rounded number. 180 or 190 I would believe. And besides, the last thing you should be looking at when you're doing 186 IF you're doing 186 is the speedo. It's definitely an exaggeration and I don't see why this should be overblown to the point of requesting his removal.

I'd much rather find the article about the Koenigsegg CC being caught for doing 240 mph in Texas :p. That's just fucking awesome.

I once drove a supercharged XF at 150 on a public road. So what. It's ridiculous times we live in. Some people are so serious that they've got no humour and common sense at all. Jeremy is known for making overblown statements, but the fact that someone's using them to make a serious complaint is beyond everything. It's just communism.

Last edited:
Yeah this is complete BS. When I read the number "186" I could tell it was BS. No-one is that specific when telling the truth, it's always some rounded number. 180 or 190 I would believe

...although, 186 isn't a number that is randomly picked out of the blue.

Somewhere, very possibly in Jezza's newspaper column reviewing the latest AMG-tuned Merc SL, it mentioned taking some kind of racing driver training and the engineers (for that car) will set your maximum speed limiter to 186 mph instead of 155.

So I did a quick calculation...

186 ? 1.61 = 299.46

Of course, because it's German, the limits are set in euros rather than Good Old Imperial Units; what they've done is raise the from 250 km/h to 300 km/h, and what we see is the translated figure.

Miles or euros, blasting through the Limehouse Link that fast still isn't possible!

^ I see, I retract my statement then. I was wondering why such a unique number was used. But when you watch the video you could sort of tell he was fibbing.

Honestly...with the truth to his admission notwithstanding, isn't this sort of behavior almost expected of him? :D

Firing Clarkson for this would be like punishing the quarterback for banging cheerleaders.

In today's Sun newspaper he confirmed what I had always thought.

Most of the audience knew already because they'd watched me do it, on television, in a McLaren Mercedes... in Germany.

Me said:
He never said the public roads were restricted, did he? Maybe he meant he did 186 in the SLR in Germany. :p

I hereby claim my five pounds. :p

In today's Sun newspaper he confirmed what I had always thought.

Any chance you could get the rest of the article up? i don't believe theirs any way to read his SUN articles outside the UK

^ :rofl:

Yeah this is complete BS. When I read the number "186" I could tell it was BS. No-one is that specific when telling the truth, it's always some rounded number. 180 or 190 I would believe. And besides, the last thing you should be looking at when you're doing 186 IF you're doing 186 is the speedo. It's definitely an exaggeration and I don't see why this should be overblown to the point of requesting his removal.

I'd much rather find the article about the Koenigsegg CC being caught for doing 240 mph in Texas :p. That's just fucking awesome.

Mind you, he must have been driving a car with km's. 300km/h is approximately 186 mph, makes sense to me atleast that he noted the 300km/h and checked it later.

Any chance you could get the rest of the article up? i don't believe theirs any way to read his SUN articles outside the UK

it was just a small section on the article, but I'll fire up the scanner and see if I can get a decent image of it. Or I'll use Google images. :D

Last edited:
But with each answer, I was inadvertently signing my own death warrant.
There I was, jokily telling all the small boys in the audience that I?d once done 186mph through the Limehouse Link in London, and that speed limits are for the weak. And backstage it was all being moulded by the eco-greens into a howling, sack-the-idiot press release.

I probably will be, and it?s my own silly fault. I never saw it coming. I was expecting them to burn a pile of my books; I was ready for George Monbiot to leap on stage and arrest me for having a patio heater. I?d even taken a change of clothing in case a fat woman, full of root vegetables and hate, shoved a custard pie in my face again. It never occurred to me that I?d been invited specifically to shoot myself in the face.

Top Gear is back on your screens in three weeks. It?ll be hosted by Bill Oddie and will feature lots of movement and dance. And how you can make a car out of straw.

From his column in the sun!

here's the link to the full article.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/jeremy_clarkson/article4038868.ece

Better still!
Confirmation from Jeremy about the return date for Top Gear

Out of curiousity I wiki'd the Limehouse Link:
wikipedia said:
BBC Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson recently claimed to have driven at 186 mph in a Bugatti Veyron on the Limehouse Link route.
Well, I guess you can't claim Wiki's out of date...

And also his latest column explains a lot.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/jeremy_clarkson/article4038868.ece

There is always someone not getting that Clarkson doesn't take everything so seriously and runs to tell the press about the big, bad, scary and "anti-environmental" man with curly hair that stands at the front talking about the worst thing in the world, speed.

Bah.

Annoyingly, the organisers had not sent any directions for those who were coming by road. Instead, we were told to use something called a train that would take us to Hereford ? 20 miles shy of the books.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Top Gear is back on your screens in three weeks. It?ll be hosted by Bill Oddie and will feature lots of movement and dance. And how you can make a car out of straw.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: x2

Last edited: