Clarkson: America vs Europe

In my opinion it was very cool DVD :D I like it because it is ant us :) It was very very funny when that stupid, useles, awful Hummer stuck going into that mountain :D

I didn't like it, because it was like a rigged wrestling match. The match-ups. The rules. Everything was slanted towards the Europeans. You knew that at the end of the show, he was going to say America sucks. Then, he says the Ford GT's good, which struck me as throwing a bone to America in a condescending fashion. Why didn't it get a chance to win on the track?

When Jeremy is enjoying cars, he is always very entertaining to watch. You see the passion and happiness in his eyes. Just about everything he says is funny, and there's usually lots of tire smoke. When he's slagging cars, or indeed whole countries, it's hit or miss. He can be very tiresome, depending on stereotypes instead of wit or wordplay. That's what I thought happened in this DVD.

I didn't like it, because it was like a rigged wrestling match. The match-ups. The rules. Everything was slanted towards the Europeans. You knew that at the end of the show, he was going to say America sucks. Then, he says the Ford GT's good, which struck me as throwing a bone to America in a condescending fashion. Why didn't it get a chance to win on the track?
Ummm...because it would have won on the track? :rolleyes:

When Jeremy is enjoying cars, he is always very entertaining to watch. You see the passion and happiness in his eyes. Just about everything he says is funny, and there's usually lots of tire smoke. When he's slagging cars, or indeed whole countries, it's hit or miss. He can be very tiresome, depending on stereotypes instead of wit or wordplay. That's what I thought happened in this DVD.

I've babbled enough about this DVD on this board, but you sir have put it better than I did in any of my messages. A little bit of Jeremy trashing anything goes a long way. It's like the seasoning on a fine meal...a little adds a lot and too much is a disaster. If there is an issue with Top Gear, it's the editorial judgment (or lack thereof) in the editing room with some of Jeremy's rants.

And this, of course, doesn't even begin to address the factual errors in that DVD. I won't beat that dead horse again (to the cheers of many here!).

Last edited:
Should I even bother to point out how wrong the Dodge Ram pickup vs the Ariel Atom race was, considering pickups are to fill the bed with tools and haul a U-Haul trailer/boat, something the Atom could never do?

True...but some people are still trying to drag race with their trucks ;)
I don't like pick-up trucks (as some of you have already noticed) but I agree that the race against an Atom was stupid, pointless and didn't prove anything.

I don't like pick-up trucks (as some of you have already noticed) but I agree that the race against an Atom was stupid, pointless and didn't prove anything.

No. Remember it was an SRT-10. A truck that has low profile tyres, lowered suspension, and a body kit with a spoiler. This is not a working truck, it is a 'performance truck'. Jezza was just comparing 2 vehicles which seem to him to opitomise the ideas of performance in the US and the UK.
Oh and don't just pick on Jezza for this, Sport Truck Magazine are just as guilty: http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredvehicles/0702st_2006_dodge_ram_srt10_vs_viper/index.html

No. Remember it was an SRT-10. A truck that has low profile tyres, lowered suspension, and a body kit with a spoiler. This is not a working truck, it is a 'performance truck'. Jezza was just comparing 2 vehicles which seem to him to opitomise the ideas of performance in the US and the UK.

It wasn't an SRT-10.

I felt that it was a good watch. Just leave your brain in your other trousers! So what if it was a little one sided, it's all in good fun I think.

Yes I know that we can all argue with lots of finger pointing but what difference is it going to make?? Jezza is still going to be Jezza no matter what we all do!

Should I even bother to point out how wrong the Dodge Ram pickup vs the Ariel Atom race was, considering pickups are to fill the bed with tools and haul a U-Haul trailer/boat, something the Atom could never do?

I am sure I read somewhere that the Atom is infact an American design:?

Oh and don't just pick on Jezza for this, Sport Truck Magazine are just as guilty: http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredvehicles/0702st_2006_dodge_ram_srt10_vs_viper/index.html

It was an ordinary 5.7 HEMI in the video and it has nothing sporty about it. Comparing the Ram SRT-10 vs the Viper SRT-10 has some point - they have the same engine.

It was an ordinary 5.7 HEMI in the video and it has nothing sporty about it. Comparing the Ram SRT-10 vs the Viper SRT-10 has some point - they have the same engine.

I don't actually care.

Even so: http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Ram-1500-Timeslip-5175.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/results.ph...ays=10000000&carmake=13&name=Search+DragTimes

Seems that performance is an important feature.

Rather than: http://www.dragtimes.com/results.ph...ays=10000000&carmake=26&name=Search+DragTimes

Who cares, it's a working vehicle. I'm more impressed by approach angles, departure angles, ridge break angles, ground clearance, maximum grade, and usable torque, body options and so on.

I agree with Clarkson's persepective on pickups: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article434997.ece
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article670996.ece

And if you don't, then you obviously won't get the point in racing a Ram against an Atom.

A dodge ram is much much more popular then a land rover discovery over here. Posting a site that has a couple of time slips post by people owning a ram 1500 and then showing that no one posted their time slips for a land rover shows nothing.

High voltage is right there's nothing sporty about the ram 1500, it's a nice truck don't get me wrong. It can do a hell of a lot of work, but it's not a sports truck!

Meio don't get me wrong. I'm one of the people in this forum who don't like pick-up trucks, but even I can realize this is a stupid test. It's the same as pitching a Range Rover Sport against the Atom - the result will be pretty much the same. There is no point in comparing completely different types of vehicles.

hummer = bad.... to big to do some real off road... well unless you want to destroy the whole country side.... and that is what usally american cars do.... with some friendly fire.

it really get on my nervs that people refers as americans to people of the US, Im an American but I dont Live in the US, I wasnt born in the US and I dont like the US.......

I like the VIDEO it was really good!!! and dont forguet the US excursion they made on seasson 10...... i was wondering if that was stage?

I like the VIDEO it was really good!!! and dont forguet the US excursion they made on seasson 10...... i was wondering if that was stage?

Likely but it's been covered in the thread all on that. One thing people forget about it is how they go into "the bad part of town" in Miami, he walks right up to a group of guys that I would avoid, and they help him out. They could have easily beat him up, ripped him off and take the BBC camera with them and been gone.

it really get on my nervs that people refers as americans to people of the US, Im an American but I dont Live in the US, I wasnt born in the US and I dont like the US.......

In defense of the use of "Americans" for the USA... We are the only country on the 2 continents with America in the name.

Out of curiosity, why don't you like the US?

just wanted to say i thought it was flippin great....the Roush Mustang, WOW!!!! the 300c SRT-8, absolutely superb, love great looking muscle cars. The rest was funny and entertaining. I love the states, not the dumb-asses in Vegas tho, but it looks like this has been covered enough, everyone knows what JC is like, he's over the top, and usually pretty funny, take it all with a pinch of salt chaps

Meio don't get me wrong. I'm one of the people in this forum who don't like pick-up trucks, but even I can realize this is a stupid test. It's the same as pitching a Range Rover Sport against the Atom - the result will be pretty much the same. There is no point in comparing completely different types of vehicles.

Yeah, sorry dude, I wan't targeting you specifically, just using your post to initiate my rant.

It's not really the same as using a Range Rover Sport. The Rangey is a consumer vehicle with little in the way of commercial pretensions, and the Sport is the crass souped up version for the drug dealers and footballers. The Ram (as far as everyone who keeps bleating on defending it) is a roughty toughty working vehicle, kind of like the US equivalent of a Merc Sprinter dropside. You would never see one of these on a dragstrip (unless the owner was being deeply ironic):
Sprinter_chassis_dropside_double_410x270.jpg

Do you lot understand this much at least?

I think Clarkson made a humorous comparison between an actual sports car
and a car that many americans perceive to be a "sport truck".

I think Clarkson made a humorous comparison between an actual sports car
and a car that many americans perceive to be a "sport truck".

Exactly, and we all know that "sport truck" is oxymoronic even if you can race anything:
truckracing.jpg
img114-0large.jpg

Did anyone read that second Times article I posted? You know, the one about the van?