Clarkson: America vs Europe

I think Clarkson made a humorous comparison between an actual sports car
and a car that many americans perceive to be a "sport truck".

I don't know of anyone who think thats a "sport truck." It was a truck that could go fast in a straight line, and still tow a boat. Anyone who makes a vehicle that has a 2 foot ground clearance and claiming it's good for the back roads and tracks is rather retarded.... the Range Rover Sport comes to mind.

I don't know of anyone who think thats a "sport truck." It was a truck that could go fast...

And his is the whole point. Why do you need a commercial vehicle that fast? What is the thinking behind that? If you want performance get a performance car, not a van.

Anyone who makes a vehicle that has a 2 foot ground clearance and claiming it's good for the back roads and tracks is rather retarded.... the Range Rover Sport comes to mind.

What's your point?

Are you suggesting that increased ground clearance does not help in off-road ability?

Are you suggesting that the Range Rover Sport can't operate off road?

Or are you suggesting that Range Rovers will never be used off-road?

And his is the whole point. Why do you need a commercial vehicle that fast? What is the thinking behind that? If you want performance get a performance car, not a van.

Commercial vehicle?

What's your point?

Are you suggesting that increased ground clearance does not help in off-road ability?

Or are you suggesting that Range Rovers will never be used off-road?

Obviously you completely missed my point. The RRS is supposed to be some kind of sports truck (JC's words "High Riding GT car"). You guys laugh because Dodge makes a go fast truck, but when the Brits do it, it's perfectly OK.

Commercial vehicle?

Why else would it have commercial load and towing capacities.

[QUOTE="thedguy, post: 608642, member: 6290"]Obviously you completely missed my point. The RRS is supposed to be some kind of sports truck (JC's words "High Riding GT car"). You guys laugh because Dodge makes a go fast truck, but when the Brits do it, it's perfectly OK.[/QUOTE]

I did miss your point because the Range Rover is a car not a truck. Imagine you're an Arabian oil field owner's son, what would you buy for blatting around the desert in comfort?

Why else would it have commercial load and towing capacities.

Towing a boat, moving crap bought at yard sales, helping friends move, throwing in yard trash, loading up wood for the fireplace, things a lot of people do.

I did miss your point because the Range Rover is a car not a truck. Imagine you're an Arabian oil field owner's son, what would you buy for blatting around the desert in comfort?

You're now arguing semantics. It's a truck more so than a car. Can you honestly tell me a vehicle that sits nearly 2 feet off the ground and is taller than most people is actually a sports car? Thats what the Ranger Rover Sport is. The only difference between it and the Dodge is a nicer interior, butter off-roading, and lower towing capacity.

They both have the same shitty reliability and build quality. :lol:

Towing a boat, moving crap bought at yard sales, helping friends move, throwing in yard trash, loading up wood for the fireplace, things a lot of people do.

Well the only people who need those capabilities fulltime over here need them for commercial ends. Hence the only people who run pickups are tradesmen or Yankophiles.

You're now arguing semantics. It's a truck more so than a car. Can you honestly tell me a vehicle that sits nearly 2 feet off the ground and is taller than most people is actually a sports car? Thats what the Ranger Rover Sport is. The only difference between it and the Dodge is a nicer interior, butter off-roading, and lower towing capacity.

Ever studied semantics? The relationship between a word and it's understood meanings is a very interesting field. You use the word 'truck' to refer to what I would call a car.
I understand this as you indicating that the vehicle is intended to carry payloads for probably commercial ends. The incongruous Range Rover Sport is a car as it is a vehicle intended for personal transportation in exactly the same way as a Ford Focus is.
The tag 'Sport' is presumably intended to indicate that the vehicle is easily capable of breaking most speed limits. Nobody is denying that Sport 4x4s are silly (unless you're the aforementioned oil Sheikh), but then they aren't the most popular type of vehicle over here, pretty much remaining the preserve of drug dealers and footballers.

Last edited:
In the UK there is a simple difference between "truck" and "car". the latter goes through tough safety tests, frontal and pedestrian, and the former doesn't.

Still you don't need a big pick-up to tow a boat. When I owned my 17 foot speedboat (Datline Bounty if anyones interested!) I towed it my old vauxhall Carlton auto and it coped fine. Up and down the slipway too before anybody starts!!

I think this whole pickup truck thing only boils down to one thing. We all think bigger is better.....

In the UK there is a simple difference between "truck" and "car". the latter goes through tough safety tests, frontal and pedestrian, and the former doesn't.

Still you don't need a big pick-up to tow a boat. When I owned my 17 foot speedboat (Datline Bounty if anyones interested!) I towed it my old vauxhall Carlton auto and it coped fine. Up and down the slipway too before anybody starts!!

Thats all true. A lot of people here refuse to tow with a unibody car, and my brother won't buy a 2nd hand car that has had a tow hitch put on it for fear of chassis problems.

I think this whole pickup truck thing only boils down to one thing. We all think bigger is better.....

Perfect proof is the threat on why small cars won't work in the US. But some of it is also the tax laws in the US, as well as the fact that when SUV's got popular (here anyway) the only things on the market were depressing FWD shitboxes, with minor exception.

RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH

Get a normal truck for towing and a sports car... for all your sporting stuff..... that is it.

that is why ford makes the GT which is a good SPORT Car... and the lighting is just.. well I can be be bother with that.