Clarkson: Clarkson on Moyles 4/12/08

Damn you, the guy that did the review on Pink Floyd. The Dark Side of the Moon=Best Album...in the world.

Damn you, the guy that did the review on Pink Floyd. The Dark Side of the Moon=Best Album...in the world.
I did hold out some hope that Jeremy would strangle that little welsh media-whore.

Ah well.

I have just remembered I havce a second VCR!

I'll be doing the Moyles edit while This Morning is recording. Unless he makes a very early appearance on Simon Mayo, though, that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: scratch that. The second video does not meet my stringent quality standards; the sound quality would be horrible, with an annoying high-pitched hum in the background.

I have a backup plan, but it will be neither easy nor free.

Last edited:
I still can't believe that people love Clarkson yet hate Moyles, they're practically identical.

Moyles is all about a character, and if you're offended by him, or think he's actually being serious, then you're pretty stupid.

Reactions: MWF
I still can't believe that people love Clarkson yet hate Moyles, they're practically identical.

Moyles is all about a character, and if you're offended by him, or think he's actually being serious, then you're pretty stupid.

I disagree. Clarkson may portray a character on Top Gear who might appear similar to Moyles to "non-believers" but if you look at his body of work as a whole, his writing, his documentary series and so on he has much greater depth. Yes he can play the oaf, but he is also a very intelligent, witty and erudite man who has a serious side and a respect for human achievement, his championing of Brunel as the Greatest Briton and the story of the raid on St. Nazaire being excellent examples of this.

Moyles seems to revel in just being the fat clown and being rude and obnoxious for the sake of it for cheap laughs which appeal to the lowest common denominator. The sad thing is he is clearly a bright guy who shouldn't need to stoop to such a base level but that is what his audience demands.

As for being stupid, since none of the characters on Eastenders appeal to me and I therefore don't watch it I guess I must be a complete fuckwit. Oh well. Forget the career and go sign on then watch some daytime telly since that now appears all I am destined for.

As for being stupid, since none of the characters on Eastenders appeal to me and I therefore don't watch it I guess I must be a complete fuckwit. Oh well. Forget the career and go sign on then watch some daytime telly since that now appears all I am destined for.

What?

That's not what I said though. I said if you believe he's being serious then you've got to be stupid. Do you believe Eastenders is a documentary? You'd probably say that the people that do are stupid.

It's the same as people thinking that Simon Cowell is an arsehole to everyone he meets and that Gordon Ramsay is constantly very angry and always swearing.
Plus, if your character can make you a hell of a lot of money, then who's laughing?

I'm sure if someone asked you to pretend to be rude and obnoxious for 3 and a half hours a day and they'd pay you quite a lot of money for it, you wouldn't say no would you?

What?

That's not what I said though. I said if you believe he's being serious then you've got to be stupid. Do you believe Eastenders is a documentary? You'd probably say that the people that do are stupid.

I'm sure if someone asked you to pretend to be rude and obnoxious for 3 and a half hours a day and they'd pay you quite a lot of money for it, you wouldn't say no would you?

Like Cowell, Ramsay and Clarkson he has made a career out of particular persona and I accept that is the way of things.

What you actually said was "if you're offended by him, or think he's actually being serious, then you're pretty stupid."

I do find him offensive thus by your original statement I am stupid. I don't care whether or not Moyles is being serious however I find the manner in which he goes about things to be crude, tasteless and obnoxious. He makes me think of the fat kid in school who is bullied and so bullies smaller kids to compensate. He is condescending to both his colleagues and his guests, unlike Jeremy who, in spite of some jocular piss-taking, respects his fellow presenters and treats his guests with utmost dignity.

Jeremy is also fond of self-deprecatory humour and often makes fun of his own persona. Moyles on the other hand seems incapable of laughing at himself and thinks he's the dogs bollocks - if that is simply a "character" then fine, but it's not one I find clever, entertaining or attractive.

^Ah but that's the problem, because if you actually listened to his show, you'd hear himself taking the piss out of himself a hell of a lot, and he also respects his fellow presenters and treats his guests with dignity, if he was that bad, he wouldn't have any guests. Yet they keep coming back and he's clearly good friends with a lot of them. Gordon Ramsay, Jimmy Carr, he seems to get on very well with Hammond, etc etc etc. From what I could gather from today's show with Clarkson, Clarkson is very fond of him as well!

I think it's clear when you listen to the show regularly that the team are all VERY good friends, the digs at each other (and the guests) are pure jest. The people I take the piss out of the most and throw the harshest insults at are my best friends, I'm sure it's like that for everyone (well, males anyway).

The problem is, all the people that I come across that suggest he's a "fat obnoxious idiot" or something similar are people that have never bothered to listen to him. So it's a vicious circle really.

I don't even know why I'm arguing, it's all opinion based and I'm not trying to change your opinion, I couldn't care less, it's just, I like the guy, and it always seems to me that most of the arguments against him seem based on pure ignorance!

Martyn, I won't quote you as it seems we've reached a concensus, or are at least agreeing to disagree. I used to listen to Moyles and remember when he was witty, clever and made me laugh. Sadly IMHO he has sacrified much of that genuine wit (as Jonathan Ross has also done) for cheap laughs and smut to appeal as I said before to the lowest common denominator. It's a shame as I admire and respect anyone with the ability to be funny and clever and who works hard for their achievements, Cowell, Ramsay and others amongst that number. The fact is that Moyles' huge increase in popularity that he has enjoyed since taking the path he has taken is symptomatic of our descent into a pap culture here in the UK.

Fortunately for mine and everyone else's kids there are still the likes of Richard Noble and Andy Green who are embarking on the Bloodhound project not for glory but to re-awaken an interest in science, technology, engineering and hard graft in our children in an age when most kids want to grow up to be pop stars, footballers, glamour models or some other sort of vacuous celebrity for fame's sake and being clever or using one's brains make one more than ever a target for scorn, derision or worse.

50580_2.jpg

I think Jezza borrowed one of James's shirts. :D

The Hammond On Moyles that I swiped from upyourego last time was considerably harder to listen to than either of James May's appearances on the Simon Mayo show, and that is entirely down to the presence of Chris Moyles. But although I see this upcoming show with some trepidation, I'll still make a recording, painful though it will be to listen to - should I remember to do it at all seeing as it's not some time today. If I don't, I suspect upyourego will have it all done.

As for the Stephen Hawking overdub, if anyone can recommend a computer speech synthesiser that I can use, then go ahead and I'll do it if I'm really bored... as it stands all I have is a ZX Spectrum emulator with a built-in Currah Microspeech unit, which was comically awful even in 1983.

Warning: this will inevitably be at a low bitrate and will be full of jangly artifacts.

And it's 6:30 in the morning, for those of you who hadn't worked it out. As before, I'll set up the video and record the Virgin Media stream onto VHS, then rip the relevant bits from there. And I've got DAB radio as a backup plan.

Actually Windows has one built in. It's somewhere in the Control Panel under "speech" or "disability."

Where's UpYourEgo ???

in my last job i used to work in a warehouse and it played radio 2 on mondays and tuesdays (with sarah kennedy and terry wogan, i wanted to get a noose and hang myself most mornings) on wednesdays and thursdays it was a local radio station and then on fridays and saturdays it was Radio 1.
Problem is that even though i didn't want to listen to it, i had to put up with that obnoxious sack of crap every friday morning for 2 years and i like him about as much as i do now as i did then. the way he just doesn't do anything new and just recycles the same thing over and over. i think only once has he done something on the show that made me laugh. i've tried listening to his shows but to be brutally honest the only times i 've really listened to the show is when he's on holiday and Scott Mills takes over.
again its easy enough to hate him as much as it is to hate my own comments and my views only reflect my own and are purely my own. i find frankie boyle, michael mcintyre, russell howard and ed byrne all absolutely hilarious and masters of comedy. but then again it would be extremely easy for someone to hate them and so on. its all a point of view and at the end of the day, at least we can express our points of view without being stoned or lined up on a wall.

Reactions: MWF
And here it is!

http://www.rickdangerous.co.uk/media/clarkson_on_moyles_04_12_2008.zip

upyourego's rip of Hammond On Moyles a month or so ago was encoded at 192 kb/s CBR, whereas I've gone for 32-192 kb/s VBR, with the average bitrate approximately 144 kb/s.

There are two files in the package - one with all the Clarkson & TG related soundbites in the build-up to Jezza's appearance, and the main file containing the interview (if you can call it that) itself. So, if you don't want the pre-Clarkson pissing about, you don't have to listen to it.

Now for the Simon Mayo show. I'll be back with that in about an hour and a half.