• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Clarkson on new Audi RS-4

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
0,,237956,00.jpg

0,,237953,00.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson said:
And the new-found compliancy in the suspension is matched by quite the best seats in the whole world. They?re so big they take up all the rear legroom, which renders the back useless. Perhaps that?s why there are no rear electric windows, an otherwise strange omission in what?s a ?50,000 car.

Other than this minor irritation I?m completely sold on the RS 4. It goes like a scalded cock, corners beautifully, sounds like God with a cold, looks like Achilles, and best of all, if you buy one, you won?t have to buy something else tomorrow.
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1836924,00.html

:love: Love this car!! :love: I wouldn't have it in that red though...blue or yellow suits this car more. Also, give me the DSG gearbox which is brilliant on Audis/VW's.

Clarksons article seemed OT as usual at the start :p He made a good point about how none of its rivals have good alternatives at this point in time and there is practically nothing else in this category worth buying.

Does anyone know about this cars availability in Australia?? Also, is it limited in production or anything?

Re: Clarkson on new Audi RS-4

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
:love: Love this car!! :love: I wouldn't have it in that red though...blue or yellow suits this car more.

That's the truth - I'll have a blue one please

Yes, the blue RS4s are like a gift from heaven itself. Yes, they'll be fully available downunder. Not sure when. It's Audi's M3 competitor!!

It's a rather cool car but I'd prefeer an M3. Same performance for less money. Somehow the RS4 just feels like a fast Audi to me and not a sportscar like the M3.

No, this new RS4 will, actually i shouldn't say will, because we already know that it does blow the M3 out of the water. Although i'm betting the next V8 M3 will reverse the trend again, but that's a while off, so this is king of the German small saloons at the moment!!

flyingfridge said:
No, this new RS4 will, actually i shouldn't say will, because we already know that it does blow the M3 out of the water. Although i'm betting the next V8 M3 will reverse the trend again, but that's a while off, so this is king of the German small saloons at the moment!!
But it isn't that much quicker even though it has about 80 bhp extra. To 60mph it's a almost a dead race and even over a longer distance like say a quartermile the Audi isn't that much quicker. It weighs more than an M3, it has more weight over the front-wheels and 4WD so I guess that an M3 handles better too. I just don't think that, that little more straight-line performance (haven't seen any track-tests yet) justifice about 25 000 dollars more than for an M3.
On the other hand I've always liked BMW better than Audi so maybe it's just down to that.

I'd have the RS4 even over the up and coming M3. But even if there is a RS6, I'd take the M5.

what the hell is wrong with me?

Blythy said:
I'd have the RS4 even over the up and coming M3. But even if there is a RS6, I'd take the M5.

You drive an Opel/Vauxhall ;)

Svempa said:
Blythy said:

good point :p But how many superminis with 1.2 litre engines do the 60 benchmark in UNDER 12 seconds!? :p

Blythy said:
Svempa said:
Blythy said:

good point :p But how many superminis with 1.2 litre engines do the 60 benchmark in UNDER 12 seconds!? :p
Depends on what other cars you could've bought.

Svempa said:
flyingfridge said:
But it isn't that much quicker even though it has about 80 bhp extra. To 60mph it's a almost a dead race and even over a longer distance like say a quartermile the Audi isn't that much quicker. It weighs more than an M3, it has more weight over the front-wheels and 4WD so I guess that an M3 handles better too. I just don't think that, that little more straight-line performance (haven't seen any track-tests yet) justifice about 25 000 dollars more than for an M3.
On the other hand I've always liked BMW better than Audi so maybe it's just down to that.
well on TG the previous gen ones raced on the track and the Audi S4 was faster, by like a second i think.

bartboy9891 said:
andyhui01 said:
btw... I have a question, does JC only write about 1 car a week?
i believe so
Yeh one article a week for the Times - Driving section.
Its good for Jezza cos he gets a new car at least every week! What a life, what a job!

Only thing I dislike about the RS-4 is its understeer cos its AWD. I'v always prefered rear-wheel drive cars for true fun. Also, the ride is really harsh on this...but I dont care!

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Only thing I dislike about the RS-4 is its understeer cos its AWD. I'v always prefered rear-wheel drive cars for true fun. Also, the ride is really harsh on this...but I dont care!

This new model is supposed to have cured alot of the understeer. It's not understeery purely because it's AWD (GT-R's and AWD 911s aren't known as understeerers), but because of the torque split of the AWD system.

A guy who has driven the RS4 and the M3 said that the understeer on the RS4 wasn't so bad due to the new 40/60 torquesplit. The car felt heavy though and the M3 is probably the more engaging car and the M3 should be faster on a twisty track.

The RS4 has gone around the Nordschleife in 7:58 seconds which is very fast. The M3 needs 22 more seconds to do that.

Svempa said:
Blythy said:

I have a Vauxhall Vectra. And I like it a lot! ;)
It suits my needs perfectly well and it's quite reliable.

People should take it easy on "Clarkson Anti-Vauxhall/Opel Kool-Aid".

Kowalski said:
Svempa said:
Blythy said:

I have a Vauxhall Vectra. And I like it a lot! ;)
It suits my needs perfectly well and it's quite reliable.

People should take it easy on "Clarkson Anti-Vauxhall/Opel Kool-Aid".
I disliked Opel/Vauxhall long before I even knew about a guy called Clarkson. But as long as everyone is happy with what they're driving everything is cool. Therefor the " ;) " in my post you quoted.